AE189 could be a Superb engine

yesman

• Administrators

So many threads and duplicate information sharing. Keep this topic to specific issues on the superb it can survive. If it wanders into generalisation then it will have to be merged or locked.

We're not trying to stifle info, more channel it and in the last 30 mins we've had a wedge of reports for posts on things. If everyone starts a new topic it will be crazy. There are many sections, please do check out areas like news and general, they can hold important and interesting topics at times like these :)

Honest John has tweeted the following this morning, glad to say my CFFB engine isn't affected according to this! :clap: :thumbup:  :

"Honest John (@_HonestJohn) tweeted at 10:08 am on Mon, Oct 05, 2015:
Volkswagen emissions scandal: VW issues website to check if your VW, Audi, SEAT or Skoda diesel engine is affected: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo
"

(Would have posted in the Main section but the link above isn't working)

Edited by MarkTB

It says on the page that it can only give information for VW cars and Vans and to go to the relevant website of other VW brands!

To quote the web page "Please note: we can only give information about Volkswagen Passenger Cars and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (worldwide except for the USA and Canada). For other Volkswagen Group brands, please visit the relevant brand website."

Shame really because it does say mines OK! But then it does also point out that you have to make sure your VIN is inputted 100% correct so I can only presume that only affected VIN's are on the data base so one it doesn't recognise is deemed OK! As ours are Skoda VIN's there probably not on VW's list, so not recognised and therefore given the all clear!

Edited by yesman

My car is listed as affected according to the link above - here's the message: 

Dear Customer, 

Please be advised the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the licence plate number **** you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy. 

We are very sorry to have broken your trust and are working at full speed to find a technical solution and we will cover the cost relating directly to this repair. 

We will be in touch with you directly to explain what steps are required. We'll do the necessary work at our cost. 

Yours faithfully, 
Volkswagen Group Ireland.

Mine was run on a dyno before remapping and made just shy of 172 bhp (Better than the 168 quoted) and 343 Nm torque (Less than the 350 Nm official figure) at the flywheel before remapping. If this software was active at the time I expect this would be significantly less unless the tweak was programming a deadspot around the emission test revs to cut NOx, but power and torque curves were smooth, so nothing obvious.

If the recall is software only I'm not interested since it's almost guaranteed to wipe the remap and most likely will leave the car with less power/driveability than it had when I test drove it first. I bought for the power output/fuel economy combination rather than its emissions, but lying to the governments of the world when getting the engine certified is a serious trust issue. The customers are not the people to inconvenience or punish for it though. Retrofitting SCR is fine with me provided it doesn't use available boot space and faults in this system or caused by it are repaired and the urea tank is refilled for free for the rest of the car's life.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 3

Just tried the VW website again and now doesn't recognise my VIN, it's been down for a while today so maybe they been updated not to recognise other VAG VIN's, might be worth others trying again!

• Like 1

The recall is software related as that is the crux of the lie. The cars' engines are fine...

The issue is residual value based upon what various countries do to penalise the massive fraud that has occurred.

Switzerland are almost on a scrapage scheme vendetta and values of cars with the software NOT remedied will have big issues. New car sales halted. VAG have to step up here and not only fix the ECU tweak but also pacify government agencies that have been lied to.

Certainly (sadly) used values of VAG cars with the affected engine model codes will suffer....even if there is actually nowt wrong with them. It's human nature. A bit of a mess really.

Since today morning, you can check that directlyat Skoda website. All you need is the VIN input in the box.

http://skoda-recallactions.skoda-auto.com/en-us

Mine is affected, CFGB MR2013

Same as mine, CFGB 2014 (MY2015) 

Not too bothered, I am sure all will be perfect and Skoda will do us all proud ;) and at the end of the day... It is not a compulsory recall, it is our choice if we have it done ;)

Yea I dont worry that much, VWAG and Skoda really know that they cant dismiss this problem that easily. And I am in favour of SCR added to the cars instead of SW reprog. of ECU. It would led to prosecutions of selling something that does not have the engine parametres as agreed withing the purchase of the car.

Secondaly I tried to test ran Superb3 and I will mostly keep having my present car. It is much more comfy and quieter than 4x4 140kW S3. So the car price depreciation by itself even this case could reach high and is really nonsense for many, many people....

Skoda Sweden has also had a search form up for about a week, and I got told that my MY2014 is affected too. Will be interesting to see what the fix will be, I will not be in a hurry to get the car to Skoda. Hopefully someone will post dyno figures before/after fix, and also fuel consumption.

Must admit that with a co2 of over 146 that I would not be affected but I was wrong I am in the group of mistrust . Now have to wait and see what happens.

In what way were you duped into buying your car?

Emissions not as advertised. If it's a company car and you do triple-bottom line accounting then this is a big deal.

I know where my wife works there are dozens of cars that are struck off the "user-chooser" list because they don't meet the companies environmental objectives.

So if my car is affected, should I get a remap that I'm planning, or wait until Skoda contact me to rectify the issue before having it remapped.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

So if my car is affected, should I get a remap that I'm planning, or wait until Skoda contact me to rectify the issue before having it remapped.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I would definitely wait. If the fix is an ECU re-program IT could well wipe out your remap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine is affected too, (2011 CFFB), one thing is for sure though I'll be thinking long and hard before taking it in to be modified.

Last time I did this was a few years ago on my MkII Octavia PD170, a Skoda / VOSA recall to have the injectors replaced.

DM Keith Skoda in York made a right hash of it, as did several other dealers across the UK. Poor cold starting, bore wash from diesel leaking into the engine oil, 2 blown turbo's and a knackered DPF among the many other issues that occurred immediately after driving it off the forecourt.

Several weeks later Skoda UK and DM Keith admitted defeat, they couldn't correct their own induced faults.

Be wary is my advice.

• Like 1

Mine is affected too, (2011 CFFB), one thing is for sure though I'll be thinking long and hard before taking it in to be modified.

Last time I did this was a few years ago on my MkII Octavia PD170, a Skoda / VOSA recall to have the injectors replaced.

DM Keith Skoda in York made a right hash of it, as did several other dealers across the UK. Poor cold starting, bore wash from diesel leaking into the engine oil, 2 blown turbo's and a knackered DPF among the many other issues that occurred immediately after driving it off the forecourt.

Several weeks later Skoda UK and DM Keith admitted defeat, they couldn't correct their own induced faults.

Be wary is my advice.

Curious. What was the outcome?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The car couldn't be fixed. It ran but no where near as well as the day before the dealer got their mitts on it.

I ended up part exchanging it at an unsuspecting dealer far, far away for the Superb I have now.

I was praying when they took it round the block the the EML and glowplug light would stay off.

For this reason I am cautious about any recall that requires significant modifications. My experience would suggest that not all service campaigns are properly tested before being implemented.

If there was ever any remedial work that smacks of being rushed in then it is this one!

Changing injectors sounds like they might be moving the engine closer to the CR190 spec, which would be nice - not sure if the turbo is the same on the 170 vs the 190, but there's the possibility of getting even more from a remap afterwards. I'll wait till there are plenty of other people happy with the change before considering sending my car in though. Since there's over 110k miles on my car, getting the DPF replaced for nothing before it's giving any trouble would be nice...

My car is listed as affected according to the link above - here's the message:

Mine was run on a dyno before remapping and made just shy of 172 bhp (Better than the 168 quoted) and 343 Nm torque (Less than the 350 Nm official figure) at the flywheel before remapping. If this software was active at the time I expect this would be significantly less unless the tweak was programming a deadspot around the emission test revs to cut NOx, but power and torque curves were smooth, so nothing obvious.

If the recall is software only I'm not interested since it's almost guaranteed to wipe the remap and most likely will leave the car with less power/driveability than it had when I test drove it first. I bought for the power output/fuel economy combination rather than its emissions, but lying to the governments of the world when getting the engine certified is a serious trust issue. The customers are not the people to inconvenience or punish for it though. Retrofitting SCR is fine with me provided it doesn't use available boot space and faults in this system or caused by it are repaired and the urea tank is refilled for free for the rest of the car's life.

Totally agree! I am not really interesred to get this software fixed... At torque curve can not remain the same.

Mine also affected but i do not need less power....

From tapatalk

The car couldn't be fixed. It ran but no where near as well as the day before the dealer got their mitts on it.

I ended up part exchanging it at an unsuspecting dealer far, far away for the Superb I have now.

I was praying when they took it round the block the the EML and glowplug light would stay off.

For this reason I am cautious about any recall that requires significant modifications. My experience would suggest that not all service campaigns are properly tested before being implemented.

If there was ever any remedial work that smacks of being rushed in then it is this one!

I would have been seeking HUGE financial compensation for that, read the dealer purchasing the car for top book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk