Buying advice please!

joncc

Hi

I have a Yeti and an ill Fabia and contemplating replacing the latter with a Superb (or Octavia).

I like the size + luxury of the Superb but I wanted to check if there are any known issues please?

(The Fabia has known issues with its PAS that have reared their ugly head/s - and I'm too busy/non technical to pursue fixing - so I'm anxious that I don't end up buying another car with such widely known issues.)

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks.

J

Water ingress - sticky thread with lots of info.

2.0 is a lemon. Lots of threads.

Auto can mean expensive repairs if unmaintained / unlucky.

2.5 supposedly has some fuel pump issues.

The crux is if you can get a good well maintained 1.9 manual you are laughing, assuming it hasn't been wet.

• Like 1

The crux is if you can get a good well maintained 1.9 manual you are laughing, assuming it hasn't been wet.

Or be lucky enough to get a 2.0 who has another idiot owner like me that has spent more than the car is worth, getting the water ingress and oil pump issues sorted-out! I still love the car hence why I've kept it, very much to the frustration of the Missus BTW!

+1

Hi

I have a Yeti and an ill Fabia and contemplating replacing the latter with a Superb (or Octavia).

I like the size + luxury of the Superb but I wanted to check if there are any known issues please?

(The Fabia has known issues with its PAS that have reared their ugly head/s - and I'm too busy/non technical to pursue fixing - so I'm anxious that I don't end up buying another car with such widely known issues.)

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks.

J

Shameless plug time....  :blush:

How about a very nice edition 100! (and local too!!)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373009-edition-100-mki-superb-pd130-manual/

The car has never suffered water ingress (I have checked myself) has the best engine and gearbox combination (1.9 AWX / 5 speed manual) and has a FSH ... many things replaced by myself that were not required during the last service (air, fuel and pollen filter, CTS and gearbox oil)

• Like 2

I wished I'd stuck it out for a manual when I ended up with a £1500 bill for my gearbox ( have had over 60k out of replacement now though, so can't complain too much). Edition 100 trim is lovely. I still love my car and I'd probably fix the box again tomorrow if it went again. Your manual is really the car I always wanted :)

• Like 1

+1

Shameless plug time.... :blush:

How about a very nice edition 100! (and local too!!)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373009-edition-100-mki-superb-pd130-manual/

The car has never suffered water ingress (I have checked myself) has the best engine and gearbox combination (1.9 AWX / 5 speed manual) and has a FSH ... many things replaced by myself that were not required during the last service (air, fuel and pollen filter, CTS and gearbox oil)

Does look nice. Pondering many things!

Very soon! (Once I've finished kicking myself for forgetting to check for the water ingress issue.)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very soon! (Once I've finished kicking myself for forgetting to check for the water ingress issue.)

Oops, hope you don’t live to regret that mistake... it’s the biggest single issue to effect a MKI Superb!

I've paid my deposit how do I check the water ingress issue please. Doubt I can pull the carpet up pre purchase.

The quickest and easiest way is to pull the rubber seal off the windscreen scuttle panel and lift the scuttle up.

ANY standing water and I would walk away.

You could also drive the car and brake pretty hard, if you can hear any water sloshing around then it’s a safe bet it’s pretty terminal, BUT the problems usually start well before the footwell fill up with water.

The quickest and easiest way is to pull the rubber seal off the windscreen scuttle panel and lift the scuttle up.

ANY standing water and I would walk away.

You could also drive the car and brake pretty hard, if you can hear any water sloshing around then it’s a safe bet it’s pretty terminal, BUT the problems usually start well before the footwell fill up with water.

Thanks. So is there a 'well' below that scuttle? Should it:

1. Have water in it BUT drain OR

2. NEVER see water?

I'm not really sure I understand the root issue entirely but if it does have water in it and shouldn't, then what's stopping me from just fixing the cause - or is that a monster job?

The plenum chamber (which is what floods) houses the battery, ECU, servo and pollen filter, it has two rubber grommets in the bottom, one under the battery and one under the servo these clog up with leafs and moss etc meaning the water that is designed to drain away cannot, so it fills up.

Eventually the water level gets so high that the seal around the base of the pollen filter (and ECU housing) eventually fails, water then pours into the car, this on it’s own is just a royal PITA... but VAG decided that it would be a good idea to place the CECM and wiring nodes (joints) un-protected under the passenger side carpet, once water starts running through the footwell the CECM is pretty much done for and the nodes will require cutting back and re-soldering.

Ideally there will be no grommets in the plenum chamber as they will have been previously removed and the pollen filter housing seal will have been changed, the plenum chamber is designed to drain the rainwater from the screen out under the car.

It is not unknown for the servo to rot away if it has been submerged under water.

IF it has never leaked then and competent DIY’er can do the fix (remove grommets and reseal the pollen filter housing) in an hour or two, expect to lose some skin from your knuckles in the process!

The plenum chamber (which is what floods) houses the battery, ECU, servo and pollen filter, it has two rubber grommets in the bottom, one under the battery and one under the servo these clog up with leafs and moss etc meaning the water that is designed to drain away cannot, so it fills up.

Eventually the water level gets so high that the seal around the base of the pollen filter (and ECU housing) eventually fails, water then pours into the car, this on it’s own is just a royal PITA... but VAG decided that it would be a good idea to place the CECM and wiring nodes (joints) un-protected under the passenger side carpet, once water starts running through the footwell the CECM is pretty much done for and the nodes will require cutting back and re-soldering.

Ideally there will be no grommets in the plenum chamber as they will have been previously removed and the pollen filter housing seal will have been changed, the plenum chamber is designed to drain the rainwater from the screen out under the car.

It is not unknown for the servo to rot away if it has been submerged under water.

IF it has never leaked then and competent DIY’er can do the fix (remove grommets and reseal the pollen filter housing) in an hour or two, expect to lose some skin from your knuckles in the process!

Is there a thread detailing all of this so I don't infuriate anyone by keep asking the same questions as a thousand others please?

Right. Couldn't get to scuttle panel or under carpet really BUT the interior lights/mirrors/puddle lights and central locking all working fine.

Will get the grommets removed and the seal upgraded ASAP!

Such a comfortable drive - like floating on air.