Auto Headlights

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but I wonder if anyone has noticed this.

I have a MY2014 FL 170bhp SE with auto headlights, they come on ok, driving through tunnels, dense tree cover etc but they don't switch off even in bright sunshine. The other day I left for work and they came on as the car was parked in the shadow of the house 40 minutes later they were still on even though the sun was splitting the trees.

I've tried turning the headlights onto manual and then back to auto but they just come back on again, I've not had the chance to contact the dealer yet, just wanted to know if any others have experienced this.

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but I wonder if anyone has noticed this.

I have a MY2014 FL 170bhp SE with auto headlights, they come on ok, driving through tunnels, dense tree cover etc but they don't switch off even in bright sunshine. The other day I left for work and they came on as the car was parked in the shadow of the house 40 minutes later they were still on even though the sun was splitting the trees.

I've tried turning the headlights onto manual and then back to auto but they just come back on again, I've not had the chance to contact the dealer yet, just wanted to know if any others have experienced this.

There are conditions when the lights will stay on even if its bright, for example, if its raining and wipers are on the lights will stay on for a period.  Do you have your wipers on as well (unlikely I suppose if it was sunny!)?   Also if you rive above certain speeds they will be on regardless of whether auto is selected.  Could also be an issue with the light sensor (behind the rear mirror) - either a fault with it or it could be partially obstructed.  If mine are ever on auto I do notice that they can stay on even in daylight or not come on when they should do either.  Personally I drive with dipped lights most of the time during the day and it wouldn't bother me if they stayed on or not.  Still, if they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing I can see why you want them working correctly.

• Like 1

The wipers were off (I don't have the auto wipers) windscreen is clean and free of smears, I think I remember reading in the manual that the headlights would come on above a certain speed regardless of conditions, but thanks for your reply, looks like it'll be a call to the dealer then!

The wipers were off (I don't have the auto wipers) windscreen is clean and free of smears, I think I remember reading in the manual that the headlights would come on above a certain speed regardless of conditions, but thanks for your reply, looks like it'll be a call to the dealer then!

I think it's about 90mph that they come on. Having them come straight back on when switching to off then auto is normal though, the car still wants the lights on and lets you temporarily override it's will ;)

I think you can change a setting to allow for different glass types which might help.

It can depend on the time of day also.... I find the lights want to come on even if it's quite bright when driving before about 8am or after about 6pm. Low sunlight can also make the lights come on automatically.

Mine are a bit hit and miss, although since the dealer changed the sensor they are better... they work OK most the time now, but, like today, reversed out the garage, lights on, usually go of a few seconds after in daylight, today stayed on for 5 mins... 

From erwin:

Technical product information
Transaction No.: 2029760/1
Service information: Protective function of the light sensor
Release date: 20-Jun-2012

Customer statement / workshop findings

If automatic switching on of lights is activated (vehicle lights switch in the AUTO position), the side lights and the dipped lights do not go out immediately after leaving a tunnel during daylight hours but only after driving approximately 5 minutes.

Technical background

This is caused by the function of the RLS sensor called Protection of halogen bulbs and xenon discharge tubes against damage caused by switching on the lights too frequently.

This function cannot be deactivated by the change of the coding of the BCM control unit or of the RLS sensor. This means that this function is always active - not depending on the equipment of the vehicle (halogen headlights or xenon headlights).

Measure

This is not a faulty function of the RLS sensor but a protective function extending the lifetime of the halogen bulbs a particularly the xenon discharge tubes.

Customer information

To preserve the adequate lifetime of all vehicle components (e.g. of the xenon discharge tubes), a protective function against too frequent switching on of the vehicle lights is implemented in the algorithm of the light sensor. In typical situations like the temporary morning twilight or the early evening twilight, when driving through a tunnel or an alley, the system monitors the minimum switching on time between the individual cycles. If this situation is recognized, the system automatically leaves the vehicle´s lights switched on for a defined time (for about 5 minutes).

• Like 2

The above post isn't accurate. I have SII SE with auto lights and I travel through the Brynglass tunnels in Newport a few times a week on airport transfers. If it's a sunny clear day the lights go back off within seconds of exiting the tunnels.

Having said that though I have had periods where the lights will be on in daylight for no apparent reason, but to be honest it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ours do exactly the same and no, they don't go off by switching to manual and back to auto. For instance, sometimes they go off immediately after coming out of Hindhead Tunnel and sometimes after a few minutes, but exiting going north the other day, they took around 15 mins to go off, but the sun was very low behind me, so that may've been a reason. Anyway, I've given up worrying about it now....

That's interesting then.

Just come back from a trip to Germany for the week.

Driven through many tunnels etc while there. Most of the time they come on in the tunnel then switch straight off after coming out the tunnel. But there was one instance where I came out of a tunnel and they stayed on for probably around 5 minutes even though it was bright. This is probably the function described above.

I know mine is an Octavia but I believe the RLS used in the superb is pretty much the same.

LasseTheDude has nailed the answer,even I understood the explanation :clap:

Personally I use the   (OLA)  original light app, Its free and is tried and tested by many.

OLA = eyes tell brain to use fingers to rotate a plastic switch,either on or off. 

Thou,the auto function is very handy for the leaving,coming home function and finding the car at night in airport long term car park.

Soon be xmas !.

• Like 2

Thou,the auto function is very handy for the leaving,coming home function and finding the car at night in airport long term car park.

Plus when switch is not in the auto position you loose AFS function on the xenon lights.

• Like 1

It's the time of year. Mine does the same some days. A low sun is not as bright and a blue sky is not as bright for the sensor as a white cloudy sky. My last car ( Vauxhall) pretty much the same.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

LasseTheDude has nailed the answer,even I understood the explanation :clap:

Personally I use the (OLA) original light app, Its free and is tried and tested by many.

OLA = eyes tell brain to use fingers to rotate a plastic switch,either on or off.

Soon be xmas !.

With a lot of modern cars, this doesn't work unfortunately. Some cars will have dashboard lights illuminated on a dark day independently of the lights being on. Quick glance at the dashboard, see dashboard lit up and presume the lights are on. It's easily done.

The one that REALLY bugs me are the idiots who drive around as its getting dark with just their DRL's on. The DRL's are blinding yet they have no rear lights lit up. I was on the M4 yesterday and a Renault Capture came past me like this. It was the only car as far as I could see without any illuminated tail lights.

Why don't the manufacturers of these cars fit a sensor on them so that they are automatically overridden by the headlights at a certain light.

• Like 1

Think yourself lucky, as MkII Superb drivers we still get the green light on the dash to signal dipped headlights are turned on.

On the latest MkIII Octavia (and presumably the latest MkIII Superb) they have omitted this feature.

Instead you have to look down to the actual light switch.

A backward step if you ask me and another reason so many people are driving around without proper external lighting for the conditions...

article-1087053-02621B21000005DC-248_468

• Like 2