What Sat Nav in new L&K?

Jimrod

Hi guys,

Whilst looking into random Yeti things I'm now a bit confused about what is offered on the new production Yeti L&K models. I've ordered a 150tdi DSG that should come in 8-10 weeks (boo!) but I'd read everywhere that it comes with the Columbus Sat Nav with hard drive, larger screen etc. However, on the Skoda UK configurator it says the upgrade from SE L spec to L&K gives you the Amundsen Sat Nav (which I thought was the lesser model?) and there is no option to upgrade aside from the 12 speaker system. 

Any ideas? The lease spec doesn't go into great detail!

Cheers for any info!

The brochure and the configurator both stated Amundsen for mine. Must admit, I'm a bit confused by the mentions of Columbus on here. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the Skoda information when I've been deciding which car to buy. Amundsen is fine by me - does everything I want it to.

Don't know yet - only just ordered it! I've not seen any mention of a hard drive, but it does have two card slots - one for the sat nav mapping and one for user files (music etc). It sounds like is works with 128Gb cards going by comments made on the forum, so that will be plenty for me. I don't see how they'd get the larger screen of the current Columbus to fit in the Yeti dash.

Delivery in about 10 weeks, I'm told. Just in time for Christmas! :)

• Like 1

Cheers for the info guys. Looks like the Amundsen it is then!

Seems a little bit tight considering the upgrade cost of the L&K included the upgraded Nav/screen of the Columbus system and now doesn't over the SE/SE L models, I wonder if the upgrade cost was dropped to compensate... 

I'm sure it's a good system anyway, seems a shame that the screen will be the smaller 5.8" and no hard drive though! 7 digit postcode will be a nice change from my old Scirocco/Seat Exeo!

Edited by Jimrod

The new Amundsen screen is 6.5". I've had a play with one and it's very slick. The picture is clear (though admittedly not the pin-sharp thing that is the new Columbus) and touch screen is very responsive.

With the same engine, the price difference between the SE L spec and L&K is £1,560. If you were to bring an SE L up to L&K spec by way of adding in the options, it would cost £3,160 - about twice the price differential. That's fairly typical Skoda practice. It also ignores what (if any) value you attach to the trim differences. Some say the L&K has better quality leather - I'll reserve judgement for now.

I admit I would have preferred the wheels and beige leather/alcantara of the SE L Outdoor, but also wanted the pano roof and sat nav. Once I'd found the great PCH deal that Simpsons are doing, my mind was made up for me.

Edited by Citigopher

The new Amundsen screen is 6.5". I've had a play with one and it's very slick. The picture is clear (though admittedly not the pin-sharp thing that is the new Columbus) and touch screen is very responsive.

With the same engine, the price difference between the SE L spec and L&K is £1,560. If you were to bring an SE L up to L&K spec by way of adding in the options, it would cost £3,160 - about twice the price differential. That's fairly typical Skoda practice. It also ignores what (if any) value you attach to the trim differences. Some say the L&K has better quality leather - I'll reserve judgement for now.

I admit I would have preferred the wheels and beige leather/alcantara of the SE L Outdoor, but also wanted the pano roof and sat nav. Once I'd found the great PCH deal that Simpsons are doing, my mind was made up for me.

Ahh that's good to know, I'm probably mixing up the specs with the old Amundsen... 

I agree with the SE L, I'd have preferred Gobi Sand leather with Matterhorn alloys but the lease deal was far better for the L&K!

No moving parts in the new Amundsen II so less to go wrong. Also you get free downloadable map upgrades.

That's good.

But I don't like looking 'down there' as I approach a roundabout to get a visual interpretation of the exit lane, that's why I prefer one at eyeline.

I was referring to yopur comment about having to look away from the view of the road to see a sat nav "down there". Meaning yore not one of those who sticks their sat nav in a direct line of sight of the road ahead, as seeing where you should be going is more important than seeing where you are going.

I was referring to yopur comment about having to look away from the view of the road to see a sat nav "down there". Meaning yore not one of those who sticks their sat nav in a direct line of sight of the road ahead, as seeing where you should be going is more important than seeing where you are going.

Now don't tell me you wouldn't like a head up display?.

I had a Columbus in my old car, a Mk2 Octavia. I now have a Bolero radio in my Yeti and to be honest I don't mind not having a hard drive as all my music goes onto the SD card and it plays from that just the same. If you are worried about having directions in front of you then I presume the sat nav being a factory fitted unit that you will be able to have the directions come up in front of you in the maxidot display between the speedo and rev counter if you so desire.

Ian

I can confirm that you will be able to have the directions come up in front of you in the maxidot display, but not as detailed as on the sat-nav screen - distance to next manoeuvre, eta at destination. As you approach a manoeuvre, there's a fairly crude representation of the next manoeuvre and a kind of countdown indication on a bar chart as well

I can confirm that you will be able to have the directions come up in front of you in the maxidot display, but not as detailed as on the sat-nav screen - distance to next manoeuvre, eta at destination. As you approach a manoeuvre, there's a fairly crude representation of the next manoeuvre and a kind of countdown indication on a bar chart as well

Yes, just the same as in the Octavia, crude representation of what is coming up and the vertical bar on the right side of the display. Perfectly good enough to give basically what you will be doing next. On the Columbus you could also press the "microphone" button on the top right of the unit to hear the last directions said by her in the dashboard.

Ian.

Having just got back from ' the world of roundabouts' I found the voice instructions on the TomTom were a fraction late for navigating into the correct 'entry lane' for your correct exit......as for 70mph between 1 mile apart roundabouts, no wonder you quickly need new brakes and get woeful economy.

Cheers for the updates guys, sounds pretty much the same as in my Exeo, much the same dash display between the dials etc. does the job!

I think the Amundsen II in the newer L&K looks ok, not quite as smart as the old Columbus one and a slightly squarer aspect ratio from what I can tell, I think it's a case of "get what you're given" nowadays on Yeti's because I've seen some L&K's around with the entry level system too! (the one with the single SD card slot in the middle and small screen). Fingers crossed I guess! :D

Having just got back from ' the world of roundabouts' I found the voice instructions on the TomTom were a fraction late for navigating into the correct 'entry lane' for your correct exit......as for 70mph between 1 mile apart roundabouts, no wonder you quickly need new brakes and get woeful economy.

Haha, Milton Keynes or Swindon (my home town)? I think roundabouts are an unavoidable problem for sat navs as the short time they get to update location/direction on something like the Magic Roundabout in Swindon makes it pretty impossible for the tech to keep up! 

Haha, Milton Keynes or Swindon (my home town)? I think roundabouts are an unavoidable problem for sat navs as the short time they get to update location/direction on something like the Magic Roundabout in Swindon makes it pretty impossible for the tech to keep up!

Yeah .....I meant to add ....sweat.