Matt's Fiat Panda 100HP

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Love these

I had a very entertaining passenger ride in scobbychris's old one.

I love these too! :) I test drove one for a long while from my local garage when they were new, and loved it! very tunable, lots available...

may I suggest : A FIAT UNO TURBO ENGINE!  .... just putting that thought in there ... a bleed valve intercooler exhaust and intake will see 160bhp ;) and they do bolt in!

I will watch the thread, these are real bargin fun cheap cars for people who know what they are talking about ;)

enjoy!

My son had one of these, must say the gear lever is in the right place, out of the dash,

I love it, its just the right position for slick changes. 

Had to drive a 1.1 panda the other week as a courtesy car whilst my leon was being fixed. Easily the ****test car I've ever driven lol

I was thinking today, I wonder what the base spec ones are like, what was so bad about it? I think they need to be taken at face value, a basic cheap car, getting out of a Seat Leon costing maybe double what the Panda would have is always going to be a come down. 

I had a 1.2 as a courtesy car a couple of times and it was fine. The Citroen c2 was far worse.

I've had a C2, it shat itself 4 days after buying :D

Pleased you managed to get one then Matt.  Start doing overtime now to pay for all the bits you are going to need!

Indeed, plus earning some brownie points for getting her out yesterday to pick it up, she HATES driving on dark country roads, not best pleased lol

I love these too! :) I test drove one for a long while from my local garage when they were new, and loved it! very tunable, lots available...

may I suggest : A FIAT UNO TURBO ENGINE!  .... just putting that thought in there ... a bleed valve intercooler exhaust and intake will see 160bhp ;) and they do bolt in!

I will watch the thread, these are real bargin fun cheap cars for people who know what they are talking about ;)

enjoy!

Urgh, dont start me off :D I'm not entirely sure how far I'll take it, to a degree part of it's charm is how cheap and simple it is, that said, it'd be cool to have a daily and a turbo'd toy both looking identical? :D 

Just been reading up on a mod to get a AUX input into the headunit, I might just stick a new one in though, I wanted to put a new steering wheel in it but didnt want to loose the phone controls, if I replace the headunit that's a problem solved :D Good logic. 

• Like 1

The main problem with it was that even though it was a 1.1 I expected better performance than it was capable of. The gear ratios were obviously designed by a madman - 70 mph topped out it third, with fourth and fifth being there for purely no reason as it was incapable of gaining any more speed than this on a perfectly level road no matter how long you gave it. The accelerator was like a switch, which made it nigh on impossible to drive smoothly, the wing mirrors and rear view mirror were awful and made it difficult to see rearward, seats were so bad I had a bad back after the 25 min drive home and the headlights may as well have been candles in jars for all the good they were. However, the gear change was good and the gearstick positioning excellent, plus I like city steering and although the boot is tiny it makes it easy to reverse right up to something as the back is so flat. I do remember liking the look of the 100hp versions when they were released and I think that if I had drove one first before a base spec I may have been more inclined to like it, but the base spec was just too bad for me and has put me off them, but would like to be pleasantly surprised by a 100hp

• Like 1

The main problem with it was that even though it was a 1.1 I expected better performance than it was capable of. The gear ratios were obviously designed by a madman - 70 mph topped out it third, with fourth and fifth being there for purely no reason as it was incapable of gaining any more speed than this on a perfectly level road no matter how long you gave it. The accelerator was like a switch, which made it nigh on impossible to drive smoothly, the wing mirrors and rear view mirror were awful and made it difficult to see rearward, seats were so bad I had a bad back after the 25 min drive home and the headlights may as well have been candles in jars for all the good they were. However, the gear change was good and the gearstick positioning excellent, plus I like city steering and although the boot is tiny it makes it easy to reverse right up to something as the back is so flat. I do remember liking the look of the 100hp versions when they were released and I think that if I had drove one first before a base spec I may have been more inclined to like it, but the base spec was just too bad for me and has put me off them, but would like to be pleasantly surprised by a 100hp

That doesnt sound fun, throttle seems ok, in sport mode its snappy though. Might try and grab a go on a poverty spec one if I can to compare. 

Today has been productive on the Panda front. 'She' has been named Frankie the Fiat, decided to get the cleaning kit out and see what I could do. While it's not filthy it's clearly had a 'bucket and sponge' was or taken to the local hand car wash. Started out with a basic wash, the paint feels a little rough so I think a good clay would help next time, then a polish. That had to wait though, because I had 2 things I had to do, firstly was removing the stickers in the windscreen, the last garage had put one in with a service reminder which annoyed me, plus another bit of residue left from something else. Gunky glue remover at the ready and it was all clean and fresh again. I gave the seats a very quick wipe with some interior shampoo, I think I need a wet vac to get the water marks out of them properly but they're a little better, plus gave the dash a wipe over and got some dirt off the little climate control screens and around the headunit.

ABB08723-FB04-4CF3-9503-F52960823778_zps

Next up was going round the little fiddly bits that are often missed on a wash, the door shuts were not too bad but the boot was pretty grubby round the edges. Also inside the petrol cap was rank, thankfully with the car being Italian it took 3 seconds and no tools to removed the cover and make life easy :D

3187838F-271C-44FC-98FA-491F1350E4BF_zps

I moved onto the wheels, they're not in too bad nick at all, slight scuffing to a couple of them but nothing major. They do have quite bad ground in brake dust though, a couple of cleans and they look better but far from perfect. Also, a strange one but I think one of the wheels is a slightly different shade to the rest, I know the Pandamonium pack sometimes added darker wheels, I'm not sure if one has been replaced and no one noticed or if it's just my eyes. :D They're on the list to be refurbished now though either way, not sure on colour yet. 

The second thing that I was desperate to do was sort the black trip, the car has so much unpainted black plastic, bumpers, arches, side skirts, it really looks terrible when they're all grey and faded. It's made a huge difference I think

16924A51-005C-47C4-8A80-429554C232BE_zps

5fd82b52-06bf-442c-8feb-4a6043c31d04_zps

Overall I'm well chuffed with the finished article, well, as it stands. It looks much better.

c6a2c6aa-b01b-4db7-8eee-f9681c22e039_zps

a8f2322a-022a-4786-a5f7-8f4939c4bd5b_zps

I've only driven it to Halfords today but I was still grinning bouncing down the road in it :D I've got the headunit connected to my phone now, it's hilarious in true Fiat style they put the headunits language as italian no matter where you buy the car or what country you're in. I had to fetch the Mrs out to translate it for me but it's all good now, seems to work well. I'll update in a bizzle. 

• Like 3

I did this mod to my Uno Turbo II and it was mental (in a mostly good way) the tyres had as much hope of coping with this increase as I have of becoming the next Mrs G Clooney. After it was tweaked and rolling road'd the turbo gauge went so far around the sweep of it's dial it refused to reset again and remained buried in the end zone for all eternally  

The man who bought it next blew up the turbo :D He was warned to run it with Octane booster

• Like 2

Looking good Matt.  Good job the weather has been kind today though.

Indeed, although it looks like it'll be good all week! Might get a few more rides out yet. 

Very nice, saw your pics on Pistonheads.

Thanks, I'm warming to Pistonheads, never liked it much before but it's growing on me. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool little cars these, My mate has a real soft spot for one and keeps saying that one day he will buy one and fit a Saab engine LOL.

Haha how random

What make is the exhaust?

Ragazzon, fresh from Italy :D 

It was all a nightmare. Ordered the centre section originally, didnt want to go OTT with the noise, got the garage to fit it, he moaned like **** about how crap it went on. Turns out I needed the centre section AND flexi :D The flexi on it was ****ed anyway so the whole thing knocked it's tits off all the way to Belgium. I got the Ragazzon flexi and decided to go for the back box too. 

• Like 1