EVAP system problem

JDA1

A diagnostic test on my 2008 Roomster 1.4 16V has shown that there is problem with the purge valve / wiring, consequently the engine management light is illuminated, the light can be reset but is soon illuminated again.

If the plug that is connected to the purge valve is disconnected and a 300 ohm resistor fitted across the 2 pins in the plug, this will prevent the  EML from being illuminated, is this correct?

The 2 pipes attached the EVAP charcoal container will be not be removed, if the EVAP charcoal container is removed on a regular basis this will enable any fumes in the container to vent to atmosphere?

Are my suggestions correct?

Well the dc resistance of these purge valves is in the region of 25 Ohms,  so it would seem on the face of it to want a resistor closer to that value if you really want to kid the engine ECU that there's a purge valve there when there isn't.  A lower value of course means a higher current and a bigger wattage / physically bigger resistor, so maybe others have determined that 300 Ohms is close enough.

However. Why not just fix the problem? Have you looked at the wiring? Tried a replacement valve? It's a component (6Q0906517) that's common to dozens of VW group cars, so there's plenty on ebay at lowish prices. I picked one up last week for not much more than a tenner, delivered.  Scrapyard likely even cheaper if there's one nearby. Five minute job to replace, either yourself or by a friendly garage.