What Tyres

WISHBONE

Best would be to change all 4 to a better brand like Dunlop, Goodyear or Michelin. Then you'll have a proper grip on all and better than the lousy Potenza/Turanza factory equipped...

Trimis de pe al meu D5803 folosind Tapatalk

I also recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for summer tyres on the Superb. I've got them fitted to all 4 corners on my Mk1 (1.9 PD130 TDI).

I think the exact spec of the tyres I have from memory are 225/45/R17 94Y

Although brand comes first, I always had a look before buying to the manufacture date (DOT week/year - found tyres that spent more than 1 year on a shelf) and country (avoided Michelin made in Italy, Pirelli or Continental made in Romania).

Maybe the last is subjective, but I know for a fact that although should be the same standard as the mother factory, many subsidiaries have lower quality than the original.

My choice, considering the above, was Dunlop Sport Maxx (225/45/R17 91Y), although Eagle F1 is also praised by many...

Trimis de pe al meu D5803 folosind Tapatalk

Edited by iob

As we are heading into winter - consider some quality winter tyres?  I have Continental TS830P in 205/55/R16 - £63 each from Camskill.  Once the cold and wet arrives, these will wipe the floor with any summer tyre out there.  Running them on a set of OE steel wheels.  If going to winters it is obligatory to change all 4 - unless you like ditches...

Depending on how long you would like to keep/drive the car, choose between 2 sets and 1 set of tyres:

- 2 sets summer/winter makes sense if you'll run this car for 4-5 years and ~ 15-20000 km/year (5 years being the recommended lifetime of the tyre, driven or not), instead of having 2 sets of all season tyres under the same conditions.

- If you have low milage/year and short trips, planning to change the car soon, you could go for 1 set of all season tyres.

I personally do not like the all season because even if the tyre profile can accommodate for most of the situations, the rubber compound (softness) will never do it for both extremes. Of course it depends on how big is the temperature variation, but in my case it doesn't cut it, with highs of 40+ deg C and lows of -25 deg C. Hence, my winter tyres are as well Dunlop, this time Wintersport M3 205/55/R16, very happy with this choice.

• Like 1

I always had Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on mine,  but I've had assymetrical F1's on other cars and would be happy with either.  I'd also consider Hankook as an up and coming brand.

Ignore Milan - he's obviously been eating Serbian Grumpy Pie again  :p

Gaz

I have the Goodyear's on the old girl at the moment; and I have had a set of Pilot Sport 3's previously (and a set of Primacy HP's).  The Goodyear's are probably the best of the bunch for this car (to my mind) - pretty quiet, ride and grip well, and don't wear too quick.  The PS3's were great, but I got through the fronts in a little over 10K, and I'm no racing driver.

Tyres seem to be really cheap at the moment, so whatever you choose, treat it to a whole set :)

I would never buy all season tyres. If you dont have money for two sets tyres than dont drive car.

Meanwhile in the real world...

I'd go for some all-seasons. The UK climate is perfect for them. Not too hot, not too cold but quite wet. They won't be any more expensive than summer tyres but far more use in the coming months.

Nokian Weatherproofs and Michelin CrossClimates are the current favourites. But also look at GoodYear Vector 4 Seasons and Vredestein Quatracs.

Michelin Cross Climate next on both my cars. Cannot wait to get rid of the winter wheels for the Superb. Currently only the Roomster on Vredestein Quatrac Lite and happy.