New Skoda Yeti Urban

teknicolourfox

After searching for a Yeti for a couple of months (really wanted 4x4) we've finally settled on a low mileage Urban.

Coming from a Scirocco the 110 Yeti drove alright, not too unresponsive and relatively pokey.  Having already driven the Yeti 170 4x4 it was obviously nowhere near that for performance (ideal car - 'dodgy' retailer which instilled zero confidence in us) which is to be expected (and that model is still my preference, but finding one is proving a pain and we need to swap this month.

Living not far from Mansfield Im considering a remap at Shark - given the Urban is 110 and upgrading the brakes (for me) isn't an option - what can I 'safely' go up to?

I've checked over the usual Urban problems (delamination on wheels, badges, cracking of the roof trim etc.) anything else I need to look out for?

Most of all really looking forward to picking it up and getting out in it!

Cheers

I ran a 110 with a racetech(?) box(ie not a true remap) which took it up to 140 without probs, brake upgrade is a no no  as fairly complex, ie not just discs and carriers!

I was well pleased with the performance improvement!

Hi Tekni, just to give you my first hand experience of having the tdi 110 remapped: I had one done back in March/April by Shark (110>140bhp). It was great for about 3 days and then my clutch started slipping and the power went right down, after which it was pretty grim to drive. I'm not blaming Shark, my 110 had done around 58k miles and so the extra torque of the map may have just finished off a clutch that was already on it's way out. But getting quoted around £1200 by a dealer or £850 independent for a new clutch and flywheel made me decide that in future I'd steer well clear of a remap and just buy a car that went as fast as I wanted it to in the first place. I'm used to clutches lasting 100k+, so it was pretty depressing, especially as I really loved my car. I just didn't have that kind of money so had to live with it, during which time its gradually deteriorated - now just about to trade it in for a petrol Yeti.

Not all doom and gloom, when the map worked it was beautiful to drive and transformed the car, but if I had my time over I'd have saved longer and bought a 170 - as well as the extra power the 6 speed box, 4x4 and better brakes would be worth the money I reckon (I have the 2WD 5 gear 110).

All the best with whatever you get tho, just google 'clutch remap' before you take the plunge - it seems obvious to me now, but I hadn't thought about the effect of all that extra power & torque on the turbo, clutch, flywheel and gearbox and the cost of fixing any of those components! You live and learn...

Thanks Freedom thats really insightful.

My heart does say hold out for a 140/170 4x4 but the 110 will do the job fine I think, and if I need something more exciting I can always take the scirocco out for a spin (the other half says I drive too fast anyway!).

The Yeti will be used for taking family/dog out and about, I guess I'll never know if its suitable until we start to live with it. Unfortunate that we need to get a replacement car at this point (especially with the VAG 'saga") but can't put it off indefinitely.

May take one last look on Friday to see if there is a 4x4 140 or 170 nearby, if not we'll finalise the deal on the 110.

Thanks again for the info

There's an '11 plate 170 Elegance at Dennis Horton, Lincoln coming in at £10 under your top budget http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=605253663

For my sake I'm pleased there aren't many 170s around that price - I'd hoped mine wouldn't have halved in value in just three years!

• Like 1

Hi Tekni, just to give you my first hand experience of having the tdi 110 remapped: I had one done back in March/April by Shark (110>140bhp). It was great for about 3 days and then my clutch started slipping and the power went right down, after which it was pretty grim to drive. I'm not blaming Shark, my 110 had done around 58k miles and so the extra torque of the map may have just finished off a clutch that was already on it's way out. But getting quoted around £1200 by a dealer or £850 independent for a new clutch and flywheel made me decide that in future I'd steer well clear of a remap and just buy a car that went as fast as I wanted it to in the first place. I'm used to clutches lasting 100k+, so it was pretty depressing, especially as I really loved my car. I just didn't have that kind of money so had to live with it, during which time its gradually deteriorated - now just about to trade it in for a petrol Yeti.

Not all doom and gloom, when the map worked it was beautiful to drive and transformed the car, but if I had my time over I'd have saved longer and bought a 170 - as well as the extra power the 6 speed box, 4x4 and better brakes would be worth the money I reckon (I have the 2WD 5 gear 110).

All the best with whatever you get tho, just google 'clutch remap' before you take the plunge - it seems obvious to me now, but I hadn't thought about the effect of all that extra power & torque on the turbo, clutch, flywheel and gearbox and the cost of fixing any of those components! You live and learn...

That is really unlucky :( I'm fortunate that there have been no issues with mine, remapped by Shark in June last year. I'm presuming it will hasten the demise of the clutch, but I'm hopeful that won't be for some time yet!

I did hold off placing the order to save extra for the 170, but in doing so missed the chance to order the Yeti in Tangerine, so there are always compromises!

That is really unlucky :( I'm fortunate that there have been no issues with mine, remapped by Shark in June last year. I'm presuming it will hasten the demise of the clutch, but I'm hopeful that won't be for some time yet!

I did hold off placing the order to save extra for the 170, but in doing so missed the chance to order the Yeti in Tangerine, so there are always compromises!

Yep, could be I was just unlucky, I was the second owner of my Yeti so no telling what sort of life it had before. Just wanted the OP to weigh up the cons as well as the pros, as with the money I spent on the map and the cost of the clutch I could've had the 170. Really glad yours is going well tho, the Shark map seemed amazing from the brief time I got to use it in anger!

But saying that, the standard 110 Yeti is a cracking car and I'm sure teknicolourfox will love it, especially the mpg.

Know what you mean about Tangerine tho, I really wanted that colour! [emoji106]

My heart does say hold out for a 140/170 4x4 but the 110 will do the job fine I think, and if I need something more exciting I can always take the scirocco out for a spin (the other half says I drive too fast anyway!).

The Yeti will be used for taking family/dog out and about, I guess I'll never know if its suitable until we start to live with it. Unfortunate that we need to get a replacement car at this point (especially with the VAG 'saga") but can't put it off indefinitely.

May take one last look on Friday to see if there is a 4x4 140 or 170 nearby, if not we'll finalise the deal on the 110.

I've got the 110PS and really enjoy driving it in a fairly relaxed manner. Bit slow pulling away, especially in busy commuter traffic at islands etc. but once into 2nd and above it goes well enough. It does exactly what I wanted it for. But like you I have something else for when more fun is required!

If it was my only vehicle I would have gone for something more powerful but I don't need/want 4x4 really.

As regards the comments about the clutch I'm a bit surprised at that. 140 still isn't big power and that clutch in 110 form has to deal with towing etc. As long as it's not abused when pulling away I would have thought it would cope with the extra OK.

As said, who knows how the previous owner used it, maybe riding the clutch etc?

Edited by VAGCF

No problem! Even with the remap issue I think it's the best car I've ever owned so I'm sure you'll love it. The 110 engine has a decent amount of poke and seeing the maxidot read 60's for mpg never gets boring! We've averaged about 53 over our 2 yrs which is amazing given its shape.

Good luck with yours!

No problem! Even with the remap issue I think it's the best car I've ever owned so I'm sure you'll love it. The 110 engine has a decent amount of poke and seeing the maxidot read 60's for mpg never gets boring! We've averaged about 53 over our 2 yrs which is amazing given its shape.

Good luck with yours!

My 170 has managed almost 42mpg over its lifetime, so your 53 shows the benefit of the more frugal engine (and without the power sapping 4WD)! My old Octavia had the 110 engine (1.9 TDI), and that was quick enough 98% of the time. I'm sure the OP will be happy with whichever model they find.

Cheers folks - that 170 might be a good option but the other half has categorically said no red ("postman pat van") - she doesn't like the yeti in general but was impressed after driving the 4x4 170 so gave in.  I'll be taking the Yet and she'll be taking over my Scirocco (gulp)...

The one we've found is in great condition from approved Skoda, low miles (20k) etc and at £12k seems a decent deal compare to everything else we've seen, we also managed to get good trade in price on our other car so in general we're quite happy.

Real shame the 12 plate 4x4 170 Elegance we tried (complete with sunroof) with 42k miles and priced at £13k was from a franchise we didnt get a good feel for as that would have been ideal.

All in all though still looking forward to getting the 110.

Well - picked up the Yeti on Saturday and have to say I love it so far.  Been on couple runs in it and hit the motorway (think it does tend to want a 6th gear and misses a bit when needing to put the foot down to overtake), but perfectly acceptable for what it is (drop down a gear if necessary and reacts very well) and it's very relaxing to drive.

Sticking the mountain bikes in it next week and get a bit of mud on it!

Well - picked up the Yeti on Saturday and have to say I love it so far.  Been on couple runs in it and hit the motorway (think it does tend to want a 6th gear and misses a bit when needing to put the foot down to overtake), but perfectly acceptable for what it is (drop down a gear if necessary and reacts very well) and it's very relaxing to drive.

The 110 has quite different engine characteristics to the others. Initially it feels a bit lacking as you've noticed, but, as you've also discovered, drop down a gear and it's fine.

After my previous 1.9tdi I found it didn't like being driven in top gear below 35mph and juddered quite violently and I thought it had a fault. Following advice on here it remembered to use the gearbox a bit more and all was well. I also discovered that it is the most fuel efficient across the range, so it has it's advantages! Enjoy.

Fred

Yeah, that's what I said when I first got mine. Funny how the more powerful versions get a six speed when it's the less powerful versions that need it more!

I accept that the more powerful/4x4 ones are aimed at those who may want to tow caravans etc. where more/closer gears are an advantage but even so. It wouldn't be so bad if first wasn't so low - seems as though it's been geared for towing fairly heavy stuff though I don't think the 110PS FWD would be the choice for that!

As I've said before, I quite like the modest power and you don't tend to get much abuse from other drivers when in the Yeti, they just don't expect you to go that fast! :D

Fred - under 35 MPH!! At first I wouldn't drop under 60 because it had no go! Now I'm used to it, and especially one up, I do drop a bit lower now, but not that low!

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1