Buying standard dog bone bushes?

Hi all,

I have fitted poly bushes on my dogbone(Rear engine mount) and it has a really annoying vibration through the dash and steering wheel everytime I pull off from standstill.  I have done over 500 miles easy with it now and slackened the nut a bit but it's still horrible to drive with.  

Unfortunately I disposed of my old rubber bushes.  Where can I get new standard OEM bushes for the dogbone without having to replace the entire part?  I tried ebay but struggled to find anything.

Cheers,

Samuel

Main dealers are probably going to be the place or TPS centre. There's a guy on facebook called Sean Kemp he works for TPS ask him if they do them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just grab a used dog bone off eBay for a tenner or something. You'll easily make your money back by flogging your polybushed dog bone. I wouldn't be without my Vibra-Technics dog bone bushes, despite the minor extra cabin noise and vibration; the amount the engine moves with soft bushes terrifies me.

It just happens if I try to pull off from standstill normally like a normal driver.  To reduce the dash and steering vibrations I have to give the car more gas than normal as I`m lifting the clutch, which isn`t good for the clutch I`m sure.

I also question whether having reduced movement with this stiffer poly bush is causing damage elsewhere, in the transmission or to the other mounts..

Edited by sammyhale30

It just happens if I try to pull off from standstill normally like a normal driver. To reduce the dash and steering vibrations I have to give the car more gas than normal as I`m lifting the clutch, which isn`t good for the clutch I`m sure.

I also question whether having reduced movement with this stiffer poly bush is causing damage elsewhere, in the transmission or to the other mounts..

Should have bought the tdi bushes they are softer because of the extra vibrations of a diesel

Should have bought the tdi bushes they are softer because of the extra vibrations of a diesel

True that. The vibration will get better though, eventually. Depends if you can stand it for long enough.

I might try backing the nut off.  That's my first plan I reckon before I go back to standard.  I did remember that when I put the polybush ones in they were really tight before I actually put the nut on.  I had to put the dogbone in a vice to pull it together a bit so that I could actually start the nut going on the thread.

How many miles have you done with them in as they do settle down just take abit of time,

They are horrid to start with but after a 1000 miles you won't nootice their there

The bolt holding the whole dog bone together only needs to be lightly done up, around 15NM or so. The others I think are stretch bolts as the torque settings comprise a torque and then an angle. I bought new subframe and gearbox bolts for the dog bone and did them up to whatever the Haynes manual said. Google says 20NM plus a quarter turn and 40NM plus a quarter turn for the subframe and gearbox bolts, respectively.

The bolt holding the whole dog bone together only needs to be lightly done up, around 15NM or so. The others I think are stretch bolts as the torque settings comprise a torque and then an angle. I bought new subframe and gearbox bolts for the dog bone and did them up to whatever the Haynes manual said. Google says 20NM plus a quarter turn and 40NM plus a quarter turn for the subframe and gearbox bolts, respectively.

Thought so. They are stress bolts and should be renewed, although people don't always and not had problems. Is it a risk worth taking? Probably not...

Hasn't there been a few stories of people doing their cam belts, reusing the engine mount bolts, which are stretch bolts, and then finding their engine falling out because the bolts have let go? Sod that for the sake of a few quid for new bolts!

Hasn't there been a few stories of people doing their cam belts, reusing the engine mount bolts, which are stretch bolts, and then finding their engine falling out because the bolts have let go? Sod that for the sake of a few quid for new bolts!

Exactly. Also worth considering those bolts will be under more stress with new polybushes in. Bolts like that are fairly critical (understatement)...

I also noticed that the engine side of the dog bone there is a black piece of metal that can be moved into different positions.  Is the position of this important at all?  I vaguely remember when I removed the mount the first time this black piece of metal was in a sort of 35 degree position.  Since I`ve put it back on its now pointing straight forward...