buying a yeti - should I hold off?

boemher

I'm looking at buying a new or nearly new yeti and was settled on a 2.0 SE outdoor before the vag thing blew up. Now I have been looking at 1.2 tsi versions in light of the possibility of a recall of a diesel variant and even looking back at pre facelift adventure and urban models thinking that if there was a blown dealt to residuals buying a 2 or 3 year old yeti would cushion me from the worst of it.

What do you think I should do? Hold off for a month or two and see what happens or buy safe and get a 1.2 tsi we will probably do around 12k miles a year in it

This Diesel situation has only just begun, It'll be much wider than just VAG group and when people realize the great big con of "clean" Diesel, they'll become about as socially acceptable as smoking inside is now... I'd stay well clear of any Diesel variants, residuals are about to fall through the floor. 

Edited by favguy

I'm looking at buying a new or nearly new yeti and was settled on a 2.0 SE outdoor before the vag thing blew up. Now I have been looking at 1.2 tsi versions in light of the possibility of a recall of a diesel variant and even looking back at pre facelift adventure and urban models thinking that if there was a blown dealt to residuals buying a 2 or 3 year old yeti would cushion me from the worst of it.

What do you think I should do? Hold off for a month or two and see what happens or buy safe and get a 1.2 tsi we will probably do around 12k miles a year in it

What..and run the risk of stretched timing chains and shorted out ignition leads. :giggle:

This Diesel situation has only just begun, It'll be much wider than just VAG group and when people realize the great big con of "clean" Diesel, they'll become about as socially acceptable as smoking inside is now... I'd stay well clear of any Diesel variants, residuals are about to fall through the floor. 

As long as drivers do high mileages, own the vehicle a long time or tow, a demand will exist for diesels and rediduals will remain solid.

Colin

• Like 1

It is a little early to say what the prices will do.

The 1.2tsi is a great 'little' engine.

If you are not towing you don't need a 'cheat' model.

Don't listen to the timing chain post, that era has passed for new models. Anyway, have it regularly serviced and you are covered. 

Ohhh yes, there have been topics on here ref a guy who races a road going diesel Yeti and has posted a video of it on the track...I very much doubt IT meets EU emission regulations.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Don't talk rubbish.

I'd hold off buying until it's clear what the fix is for the affected cars but the rest is over the top nonsense

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I know that their are two camps of opinion divided between petrol and diesel owners and that loyalties are fierce. I think that it will all blow over but that their will be a recall, and that vw can't be the only ones cheating unless they are utterly inept at making engines.

The yeti would be replacing an old mk5 golf 1.6 fsi so even the 1.2 tsi would feel like a big upgrade in day to day driving. The wife mostly drives country roads mixed with dual carriage ways, for large periods of the year the country roads get really bad with flooding or ice and she almost killed the golf last winter wading through flooded patches of road that she said went up past the door sill hence me being able to persuade her a yeti is a good idea :)

It will also be carrying two kids in the back with a buggy and associated stuff so it will be be laden 50% of the time.

Another question is about paint blisters on doors did they ever fix that? Has any one had tne issue on newer facelift models or post 2012?

One thing to consider if you're looking at getting a Yeti - a new lease deal. It's not something I'd thought of until recently but figuring out the depreciation on my wife's 2011 Megane over the last 3 years it would actually have cost less to lease a new car over that time. Obviously she owns the car but it's now worth about £4k (cost her £11k), if she wants to buy a new (used) car she now has to find another £6-8k for something nice and low mileage. The lease deal I've gone for on a top of the range L&K 150tdi Yeti will cost me around £6k total over the next two years, about the same as my current SEAT Exeo will lose, except I'll have a new and (hopefully) hassle-free car. It makes a lot of sense if you're the type that likes to change cars every 2-3 years and the new Euro 6 diesel should be immune from the current issues, either way I don't have to worry about resale value!

Edited by Jimrod
  • Like 1

I think the 1.2 Yeti would be perfect for your needs,and I can't think of a single complaint about blisters on the latest facelift yetis.

Mine's faultless.

The only addition I would make would be a set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres for running around Scotland.(or Nokian weatherproof.)

Enjoy.. :yes:

Edited by bilun777
  • Like 1

I went from a 2010 Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 Estate to the new Yeti 1.2TSI in my signature in March of this year. I love the Yeti but recommend that you check that the boot space will be big enough for your needs.

A few comments.....today's news is tomorrow's chip paper. Harsh but true VAG will quickly recover just like Toyota dud over and over again.

That's what I've figured. Hence yesterday I sunk £1000 into VAG shares!

BTW I have a mate who works in engine design for Ford and he told me over a year ago their cars "know" when they're in the emissions test and change behaviour to record better CO2 figures...

So this is not going to be confined to VAG and probably not just diesels either.

• Like 2

As Jimrod says. The PCH I've just signed up to for a 1.4 TSI L&K costs about £5,500 over two years, 8k miles p.a.. I reckon that is less than the depreciation the car will suffer over the same period - so why bother buying? You may think you're buying the car if you take out a PCP or HP agreement, but in fact all you're doing is covering the depreciation. I hate this type of mentality with a passion (I'm very much of the "I like to own what I drive" mindset), but as Paul Getty said - "If it depreciates, lease it. If it appreciates, buy it."

I work hard for my income, so I want to make sure it works hard for me. The salesman I spoke to said I'll be offered an extension of 6-12 months to the PCH towards the end of the two years, at a renegotiated rate. If that's favourable and I like the car, I may well take that option, letting the car depreciate still further over what I'm paying to drive it. If after that I still want to keep the car, then I (or family member) will look to pounce on it as an outright purchase. By then though, I expect Skoda or a.n.other manufacturer will have put a new flavour of candy in the sweet shop window to turn my head :)

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 2

Really?

Pigs might fly!

• Like 3

We have just bought one of the delivery mileage 1.2 TSI Elegance spec cars from Volkswagen Rurtherglen. I think the Arnold Clark group bought a batch of cars from Skoda in May and pre-registered them. They are now selling them off so as long as you are not bothered about your car being pre-registered it's an exceptional deal. We checked with our local Skoda dealer and even with them offering a crazy discount as they called it if we took a car that was coming in the following week they were still £3K off.

Or you could save yourself a few thousand and buy our last car we sold to a local dealer. I can honestly say that we sold it without a single fault and it had been recently serviced by Skoda and had two new front tyres fitted. Either way best of luck finding a car.

http://www.stephen-hannahcars.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-yeti-1-2-tsi-se-5dr-east-kilbride-201509227140327

Edited by Sprockutt

Everyone knows the VW TDI engine is one of the best engines on the planet. I think if people are going to change they are more likely to upgrade to the Diesel Euro 6 rather than go to petrol or a different make of vehicle.... :|  :|

• Like 3

The popularity of diesel was understandable but may have passed (never mind VAG being caught gaming an artificial test routine).several cities have started to charge/ban them and they have always had a niche appeal but only recently mass acceptance. This will blow over in time but the rattly smelliness will always exist as will the economics which only make sense for those who drag heavy loads or do rep style mileage.

The latest Euro6 engine will be OK as they are not part of this situation, only the EA189 series engines which are Euro5 are potentially affected by this. The real world emissions will be just the same and VW group will get over this, I have one of the engines in my Yeti and I am not concerned about it just yet. All this goings on about Diesel being the new scourge of the planet is old news. Perhaps people should look at the relative emissions of diesel engines now and in the past and you will see they are vastly improved on the old standards. In fact there are polluted cities in the world in which it is reckoned that the exhaust coming from the back of a diesel car is cleaner than the air going in due to the emissions control equipment.

All this talk about nitrous oxides output is just talk, every engine in the world, be it petrol or diesel which employs lean burn technology to control emissions will produce high NOx due to burning the excess air, petrols have been controlling this using 3 way catalysts for years. Diesels are just catching up with this in the latest generations using either lower combustion temps combined with diesel particulate filters to control the extra soot produced or allowing the engine to breathe freely, producing higher combustion temps to control particulate production and the SCR catalyst to control the resulting higher NOx production. Even petrol engines now have particulates production limits in their emissions standards which they never used to have which shows the powers that be are now concerned about them. https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/euro-emissions-standards.html

Ian

• Like 2

I saw that 1.2 tsi sprockutt it looks lovely but I'm after one in candy white or corrida red ideally and I really like the look of Matterhorns on the yeti. Also if you are talking about 3000k off list for delivery milage ones it makes a 12 plate one for 12 grand seem dear. The residuals make buying a 2nd hand one a difficult choice when compared to online car broker deals.

I don't have anything against leasing but my wife and her father come from the school of buying things preferably with no lending involve so it wouldn't fly with her. There would be a loan involved to buy this but I'd be putting down a lump and probably borrowing 8k or similar and paying it off after 3 years so still having that feeling like you own it and keeping it until it's worth nothing.

I don't like the look of the concepts for the new yeti if they go down that road you may as well buy a qashqai or tuscan or sportage or any other generic looking crossover so I want the current yeti before they ruin it :)

I saw that 1.2 tsi sprockutt it looks lovely but I'm after one in candy white or corrida red ideally and I really like the look of Matterhorns on the yeti. Also if you are talking about 3000k off list for delivery milage ones it makes a 12 plate one for 12 grand seem dear. The residuals make buying a 2nd hand one a difficult choice when compared to online car broker deals.

I don't have anything against leasing but my wife and her father come from the school of buying things preferably with no lending involve so it wouldn't fly with her. There would be a loan involved to buy this but I'd be putting down a lump and probably borrowing 8k or similar and paying it off after 3 years so still having that feeling like you own it and keeping it until it's worth nothing.

I don't like the look of the concepts for the new yeti if they go down that road you may as well buy a qashqai or tuscan or sportage or any other generic looking crossover so I want the current yeti before they ruin it :)

Ours is Candy White and self financed. We considered a PCP for the first time when we looked at the Tiguan but this was mainly to unlock the extra discount VW were offering. PCP deals don't work for us but I can see why they are so popular. Check out my 'Return of the Snow Monster' topic to see us taking delivery of our car last night. They had white, black and metallic grey Yeti's available. Not sure if this is still the case though. Good luck!