buying a yeti - should I hold off?

boemher

Off topic but just checked against my vin and it's NOT on recall,feel a bit let down now.

I doubt you will find it on the VOSA recall website as that is for safety issues only which this isn't. That is if I am right in assuming you have looked there. I suspect it will become part of a service campaign once VW have sorted out which cars they want to have back in. I have a feeling that if your car has a CFJA engine then, that being an EA189 series motor, you may well be getting a letter or email from your dealer in the next month or so. 

Ian

Ian and Countryboy......thank you for replying to my post.

Looks like the AX HAGG (AX15HGG) will be visiting the naughty room sometime in the future. She is due a service next May, so may be able to include it then.

Thank goodness I missed the ADBLUE scenario - another thing to concern me!!

I'm with TheCreepster - as long as it doesn't affect the car or my pocket, I'm OK with it.

Your welcome, Ian is my name and Countryboy my forum title. I am with you and TheCreepster, nothing to really worry about until is starts to affect my wallet. The adblue scenario is nothing to be worried about. It has been around for donkeys years in HGV's and is well proven. I won't be too concerned about it but will keep an eye out for the letter in the post box. If it happens then that will be the second for me as I have recently had one through for my motorbike. Anyway I will include a link for all to have a look at from the VW site. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

Ian

I doubt you will find it on the VOSA recall website as that is for safety issues only which this isn't. That is if I am right in assuming you have looked there.

There is a "recall checker" on the Skoda web site: http://master.skoda-auto.com/mimni-apps/recall-actions. However, it seems to be pretty useless. I checked my VIN yesterday and it said 'yes'. Checked again today and it said 'no'. On the main thread about this issue on the main chat forum at least one poster has reported getting seemingly random 'yes' or 'no' answers when entering the same VIN repeatedly.

I'm planning to wait until I'm contacted, see what the result is and then raise hell if I don't like the outcome. Life is too short to construct elaborate "what if?" plans on the basis of the extremely limited technical information we have been given so far.

• Like 1

I love diesel cars but they are beginning to be portraid as dirty polluters and manufacturers seem to be struggling to meat the NOX requirements which are being imposed on them. 

I think you'll find they can clean up diesel but at a cost. The cost of Adblue (+ extra £ for the engine itself) is a start. DPF regen is another cost. 

Diesel (emissions) will get better but also more expensive (technologywise).

Petrol technology will also improve (witness the new TSi engines). 

Electric will improve and/or adopt hybrid / range extenders. Cost difference will reduce over diesel as diesel costs go up and electric down. Might take 20 years though for them to reach compatibility, if at all (assuming no change in regulatory effects).

For the high-torque needs of caravan pullers etc, as costs go up the economics of dragging a portable home around the landscape will reduce :) but in the meantime I expect diesels to stay longer.

[For myself - just gone from diesel to petrol for the economics of <10K pa mileage. But would have preferred the power of a 1.4 TSi or 2.0 TDi!]. 

Edited by Totally Square

I wonder if VW Seat Skoda area also stopping sales of secondhand EU5 diesels? 

Noted this same question was being discussed on the news last night, along with why VAG have waited until the 1st October to pull new stock EU5 from sale, after the usually busy month of September is over.

TP

For the high-torque needs of caravan pullers etc, as costs go up the economics of dragging a portable home around the landscape will reduce :) but in the meantime I expect diesels to stay longer.

Shouldn't electric traction be just as good as, if not better than, diesel for torque? Electric multiple unit trains generally accelerate significantly quicker than their diesel equivalents, which suggests torque isn't something they're short of. (My vague recollection is that electric motors actually produce most torque at start-up from rest - though I can't remember whether that was a general principle or if it only applied to DC motors, or induction motors, or something else.)

Of course, there could still be significant issues with providing the current and charge capacity needed to sustain towing performance for a useful distance, in a portable package.

• Like 1

But if that was the case we wouldn't be able to take advantage of this green landscape you keep on about. :giggle:

Caravan owners are usually the most aware of our lovely countryside but are unable to permanently live there!

Live and let live.

Fred 

• Like 1

The economics will remain sound. Caravan holidays are cheaper than hotels. As regards polution, towing a van to your holiday destination is more environmentaly friendly than flying. You also have added benefit of a baggage allowance of possibly more than 600kg in car and van that beats anything you can get on a plane.

I am wondering why nobody has mentioned hydrogen fuel cells. Surely that is the final aim if you want no polution or mileage controls.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

Shouldn't electric traction be just as good as, if not better than, diesel for torque? Electric multiple unit trains generally accelerate significantly quicker than their diesel equivalents, which suggests torque isn't something they're short of...

Agree re electrics and torque, but its an issue of sustained torque over time. Possibly we'll see electric hybrids on the crossover class as the "way forward" (FWD for petrol, RWD for electric, intelligent route planning determining what mode is used when *).

PS: apologies if any caravaners took offence at my tongue in cheek comment- really I wish them all happy and safe caravanning!

* I believe BMW's latest sat navs are already telling their cars' auto transmissions what gear they should be in depending on the route...

Just in-case people aren't up to date on this - no matter what emissions changes happen we (in the UK at least) won't have to pay more tax regardless of the real emissions from these engines.

Now it just depends if the engine "update" kills performance or economy...

Edited by Jimrod

Have the government clarified if an increased tax liability dispensation applies both retrospectively AND going forwards? Tha latter seems a bit dodgy as it's the equivalent of saying "That's OK VW, you've cheated the system, but we'll let you off". The lost revenue to European governments will be significant, but they're the ones responsible for reducing emissions.

Have the government clarified if an increased tax liability dispensation applies both retrospectively AND going forwards? Tha latter seems a bit dodgy as it's the equivalent of saying "That's OK VW, you've cheated the system, but we'll let you off". The lost revenue to European governments will be significant, but they're the ones responsible for reducing emissions.

http://news.sky.com/story/1562736/vw-cheat-device-cars-will-not-pay-more-tax-in-uk

Back to origonal poster.

regardless of Petrol / Diesel conversation I would only say that whether you wait or not is up to you, it wholey depends on how quickly you need to renew your car, with respect to the petrol v diesel  debate, I always worked on the premis that provided you were doing over 15k miles per year, and long runs then diesel was more economical choice but that is purely personal.

• Like 1

Back to origonal poster.

regardless of Petrol / Diesel conversation I would only say that whether you wait or not is up to you, it wholey depends on how quickly you need to renew your car, with respect to the petrol v diesel  debate, I always worked on the premis that provided you were doing over 15k miles per year, and long runs then diesel was more economical choice but that is purely personal.

I'd generally agree on the driving but there do seem to be more variables now - the adblue, stop/start and brake-regen systems seem to give the 150 tdi some nice economy figures for "urban" driving (44mpg or so up from 38 in the older 140/170) and the price premium you pay for diesel models depends on how you buy, with leasing there are some better deals to be had on top of the range L&K diesel models than some of the lower specced ones that on paper should be cheaper. I see the latest Simpsons petrol 1.4 L&K lease deal is pretty amazing at £2k down and £124 a month (8k miles per year) though!

The economics will remain sound. Caravan holidays are cheaper than hotels. As regards polution, towing a van to your holiday destination is more environmentaly friendly than flying. You also have added benefit of a baggage allowance of possibly more than 600kg in car and van that beats anything you can get on a plane.

I am wondering why nobody has mentioned hydrogen fuel cells. Surely that is the final aim if you want no polution or mileage controls.

Colin

Bit of a sweeping statement given all the variables. Be interesting to see what the actual figures are taking into account all costs associated with a caravan rather than just what the cost of say 2 nights hotel is compared with site fees. If the caravan is not used often the costs could be very high!

Bit like saying that electric vehicles don't pollute!

I think caravans are something you either get the idea of or not. Although having said that I am inbetween on my views as I cannot understand the large gin palaces that some drag from field to field. But it is down to personal choice at the end of the day, an what suits the individuals or family needs.

On a financial note, summer 2014 saw my wife and I spend 30 days in France as it was our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed at three very scenic river, side sites, two of which had faultless facilities. Depending how you do the sums, it cost between £1200 and £1300 for everything. Tunnel, fuel, tolls, insurance, food and drink whilst away. If you add the £120 yearly caravan insurance to that I wwould still say it is a very cheap. I have not allowed for depreciation, as I am fortunate in owning an eriba, a model known for at the least holding value and frequently selling for more than initial cost. This is unusual as most vans loose money in a sinmilar manner to cars.

Colin

I think caravans are something you either get the idea of or not. ...

Seems like the Yeti is quite a popular diesel-driven towcar - presumably based on it being a lowish cost VW-group crossover with low rear overhang. The nearest competitors seemed to have less press regarding emissions so far: Qashqai Mk2 1.6 (if I recall had some early tow hitch issues) and CX-5 2.0. Neither bother with AdBlue for EU6 if I recall!    

Just in-case people aren't up to date on this - no matter what emissions changes happen we (in the UK at least) won't have to pay more tax regardless of the real emissions from these engines.

Now it just depends if the engine "update" kills performance or economy...

But will we have to have any update done?  Personally I would do my best to avoid anything which is going to reduce performance and not be detectable at MOT other than by a sticker!!

Norry

VW engines required the "cheat" software to meet emission targets but, as it now seems likely, their competitors didn't need to cheat then what does it say about VW group engine technology? Seems to me then rather being a technology leader the VW group diesel engines are second rate.

PSA, Mercedes, Ford etc. diesel engines appear to have hit the emissions targets without the need for gimmicks. Okay, the present testing system is nuts but real world emission levels reported on the News last night put VW engines far worse than other brands. What is going on in VW Group Technical??

Your post seems to involve a number of assumptions, each of which might or might not be warranted.  I'd suggest that you ask the same questions in the main thread on this subject here.