buying a yeti - should I hold off?

boemher

I'm looking at buying a new or nearly new yeti and was settled on a 2.0 SE outdoor before the vag thing blew up. Now I have been looking at 1.2 tsi versions in light of the possibility of a recall of a diesel variant and even looking back at pre facelift adventure and urban models thinking that if there was a blown dealt to residuals buying a 2 or 3 year old yeti would cushion me from the worst of it.

What do you think I should do? Hold off for a month or two and see what happens or buy safe and get a 1.2 tsi we will probably do around 12k miles a year in it

12k a year isnt enough to warrant a diesel anyway. If its short trips (shorter than 20 miles each way) youll suffer with dpf issues before long

I am starting to believe the dpf issue is a bit over stated. I run a diesel as I tow a caravan. I have done 9,000 miles of which 3,000 miles has been towing, in 15 months witout any warning signs or problems.

The car initially went into regen fairly quickly and regularly, but it seems to learn with time and the frquency has become less.

Colin

12k a year isnt enough to warrant a diesel anyway. If its short trips (shorter than 20 miles each way) youll suffer with dpf issues before long

Are there any actual facts available on this issue. Where does the 'shorter than 20 miles each way' idea come from? Is it distance or time that's important? How short is a 'short trip'?

A short trip is my daily one-2 miles each way to work. It is neither distance nor time it is exhaust system temperature. those with calculators can work out the mpg price per gallon annual mileage equation and the see how long it takes to justify a diesel. If they wish to visit London or other cities they may also need to add congestion charge and differential parking tariffs too. I found my 140 diesel was too irritating and went petrol-other peoples experience may be utterly different.

Are there any actual facts available on this issue. Where does the 'shorter than 20 miles each way' idea come from? Is it distance or time that's important? How short is a 'short trip'?

Its a rough measurement in distance (miles to be exact) for how far itd take for your engine to get up to full operating temp. Theres lots of variants,. Outside temp, driving style.. Speed etc etc.

If your DPF equiped vehicle isnt getting up to full working temp often enough, it wont be able to burn off the soot particulates in the exhaust to ash.

If it cant burn them off, it becomes blocked.. Sometimes it manages to regenerate, but if youre consistant in short trips it wont be able to do so abd youll be hit with a vey big bill for a replacements.

Diesels shouldnt really be bought by people who just pop to the shops anymore, but many cars are sold and many owners dont have a clue.

I am starting to believe the dpf issue is a bit over stated. I run a diesel as I tow a caravan. I have done 9,000 miles of which 3,000 miles has been towing, in 15 months witout any warning signs or problems.

The car initially went into regen fairly quickly and regularly, but it seems to learn with time and the frquency has become less.

Colin

Our Yeti is used for many short trips to the shops.  It also does longer runs of 8 miles or so. But we do ensure thatt from time to time we do a long run of 200 miles. We have detected a regeneration occasionally but in 38000miles have never had any problem at all. The car does approx 8000miles a year as it is only a second car but purchased to cope with snow in our rural location and also to pull a trailer.  From time to time it has even pulled a two wheel drive tractor out of a sticky situation. Diesel was the clear choice for our use of the low down torque. Never regretted buying the car at all.

• Like 2

The fact of it is.. If it does go and you need to replace the DPF, the saving between a petrol and diesel MPG is all going to be thrown away, plus more when you pay out over a grand.

Diesels just arent suited to as many as would like to think they are, especially now the government have gone from 'pro diesel' a few years back.. To anti diesel recently.. And i wonder when theyll start charging extra for that?

It is true that many people have been sold cars with diesels that aren't really suitable for the mileage and sort of journeys they do and have had DPF issues.

But for others like me, even though I do less than 12k. a year (partly due to being semi-retired and using other cars) and for those that tow caravans etc. then the diesel is still the engine of choice. As long as you are aware of the potential PDF problems and take action to avoid them then they are fine.

Even though I'm semi-retired, when I do go to work I have a 20 mile each way commute along fast roads so that gives it a good workout. OK, a petrol would do that job fine but for me the characteristics of a diesel go well with vehicles like the Yeti, hence my choice.

As ever much of the blame should be laid at the door of the legislators and manufacturers/dealers which has resulted in many cars being sold to customers when they are unsuitable for their needs, particularly when the majority of the public aren't as informed as those frequenting forums etc.

• Like 2

I agree with towing stuff. The torque of a diesel is almost compulsary, but for those who just do short trips, i dont understand it.. The 1.2 tsi is whisper quiet, surprisingly torquey low down and more fun when you start driving unlike an OAP

if a salesman has steered a user whos explained his low mileage to a diesel and hasnt explained about the DPF. Hes imo just being selfish and making the sale price up even though its an unsuitable product.

Petrols would suit a majority if theyd get this 'diesrls are better' stubbornness out of their heads and look at the real picture and the facts

Okay it might not have cost some users anything YET, but it will eventually with a certain type of driving.

Still in the hunt and still looking at Yetis but I've also been looking at Jeep Renegades Arnold Clark have a bunch pre. Registered and there going for between 14.5k and 16k depending on trim level. I test drive a 1.6 multijet diesel 120 ps and it felt surprisingly a lot punchier than the 110 ps 2.0 tdi SE L I tested last month.

It also has a higher driving position which I liked. I'm still favouring the Yeti but after seeing the jeep my wife has stated her clear preference. She thinks the jeep is a lot cooler and loves the choice of colours and thinks the Yeti is boring. From the front I have to agree with her the Renegade is much more characterful than the facelift Yeti but I still prefer the Skodas side and rear aspects.

But another potential spanner in the works is that the Jeep seems like pretty good value even a motorpoint yeti would be a 14 plate with 10k miles to get near that Arnold Clark price. Yetis are slim pickings up in Scotland it seems.

After picking up our Yeti I'd definitely say thats the way to go...

We actually considered a Jeep but much preferred the Yeti (build quality, better potential depreciation figures, VAG group (no comment now of course...)).

So far we're loving it and it's only 110 diesel.  I do relatively few miles but used to blast around every now and again in the Scirocco diesel, never had an issue with DPF and MUCH prefer the way diesels drive to petrol.  Even the other half was happy to move from petrol to diesel.

We considered waiting after VAG 'gate' but how long do you put it off for?  If something comes to light that the car is affected Skoda will have to put it right (I presume).  US style class action in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 will be beneficial in cases like this where consumers as a group have been affected as well.

Anyway, great car, I love it and glad we didn't put off buying.

I agree with the build quality and also the fit and finish, my octavia 2 facelift seems put together miles better than the jeep I looked at. It had delivery miles on it and the front wing indicators looked unevenly stuck on with a bit of glue I could get my finger tip under its edge.

It's not that I'm purely holding off for the vag thing it's that there doesn't seem to be many good nearly new examples circulating north of the border at competitive prices. It's at the stage where buying new with a broker makes more financial sense than buying a 1 2 or even 3 year old example from a skoda dealer.

At least with the Pre registered jeeps you are getting a good discount. Resale value isn't a big thing because I think we would hold on to it until for a good while. Maybe I need to wait for arnold clark to buy a bunch of Yetis again to sell them off at a knockdown price.

Oh and I forgot to add I'm slightly concerned that the 5 speed box in the 2.0 tdi 110 would annoy me if I did my motorway commutes in it. For A roads and country roads it should be ok. It seems like an unecessary saving to pair that engine with a different gearbox compared to the other 2.0 diesels. The jeep has a 6 speed and the 120 ps seems like a nice fit for the car.

Inside has really impressed me - it's definitely comparable to my Scirocco - in fact it's a little more modern to be honest.   I think missing the 6th gear (or rather I hope) should be liveable with - it doesn't feel too bad on the motorway and just needs the driver to adjust to the style (Ive only had one other car with 6 gears anyway so no biggie for me) and I still got 55mpg on my trip from Doncaster to York (speed limit adhered to honestly...).

I agree with financing a new one, or even leasing (we seriously considered leasing). Having a dog and me going mountain biking, plus we needed to get rid of the BMW it was replacing quite quickly, meant we decided to buy. Any scratches inside caused by the dog or my bikes would have (potentially) put a hole in any savings we would have made to rectify before handing back.  We also live in a 'rough' area at the moment so would be even more concerned with a brand spanking L&K outside that I had to repair should anyone decide to key it or smash wing mirrors/windows etc.

I think owning/buying it (for us) was the right option at this point in time.

Know what you mean about waiting for a good one thats relatively local - I've been looking for a couple months and had to compromise (quite a bit I think going from 4x4 170 Elegance to the 110 Urban) BUT I haven't had any regrets yet. Might do when I decide to try it off road...

Bah, I've just called to check when my 150 tdi L&K is going to be delivered since I ordered it a few weeks ago and was told "8-10" weeks - apparently it's scheduled in to be built in week 45 (November), anyone have any idea how long these things usually take from build to dealer?  :dull:

Bah, I've just called to check when my 150 tdi L&K is going to be delivered since I ordered it a few weeks ago and was told "8-10" weeks - apparently it's scheduled in to be built in week 45 (November), anyone have any idea how long these things usually take from build to dealer?  :dull:

I have heard that the average is about 3 weeks from factory to dealer, though unless it is a confirmed build date I would take the week 45 build date with a pinch of salt. I have heard stories of the build week changing wildly until a confirmed build week, usually a couple of weeks before hand, is in the system.

Ian

Probably somewhere else in these forums but couldn't find anything so thought I'd add it here. New VIN checker link on the Skoda homepage, just checked and mine came up as one of the affected cars and Skoda would b in contact directly stating what steps come next. http://www.skoda.co.uk/

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I did the same earlier today and also came up 'positive' :thumbdown: Woe is me - not really, as I still like her!!  But if all the lawsuits in the US are successful, it would bankrupt Volkswagon and leave nothing for us!!

Have to wait and see.  Interesting situation - just wish my new car wasn't involved.

Probably somewhere else in these forums but couldn't find anything so thought I'd add it here. New VIN checker link on the Skoda homepage, just checked and mine came up as one of the affected cars and Skoda would b in contact directly stating what steps come next. http://www.skoda.co.uk/

"We wish to confirm that your vehicle with the Vehicle Identification Number you submitted, is not affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs."

Well that's one less thing to worry about -  unless -  they wouldn't be lying would they :sweat: 

• Like 1

Ian

Thanks for the link.I am suprised.

My 2014 registered, 2015 model year 110bhp is not effected, allegedly.

Colin

Dear ŠKODA customer,

We regret to inform you that the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the Vehicle Identification you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy. 

We are very sorry to have broken your trust and are working at full speed to find a technical solution. ŠKODA will cover the cost relating directly to this repair.

We will be in touch with you directly to explain what steps are required. We'll do the necessary work at our cost and have you back on the road as quickly as possible.

Yours faithfully,

ŠKODA.

FFS - had less than a week - wonder if should return under 30 day rule - any thoughts???

....FFS - had less than a week - wonder if should return under 30 day rule - any thoughts???

Thanks to Ian's link above, I was rather surprised to find that we're involved too, and probably several more of my contemporaries here at around the three year mark. 

But me part with Annie?  You'd have to use a crowbar :devil:

• Like 1

Not at all sure why individual owners would worry a clever software routine to sense and "Game" an inherently absurd and unrealistic emissions test can't make a real difference to real world running-it only kicked in under artificial conditions and -by design- falsified emissions under those conditions. A software patch to delete that clever sub routine if done well will be undetectable in real life. If I had a diesel I would hang fire until the new "update" has been around for a while before adopting it myself. VAG have the problem and holding off may lead to better purchase/lease deals as they strive to retain market share.

• Like 2