Can I fit 225/50 R17 tyres to my Superb?

How've you found the higher profile tyres nearly a year in silver1011?

I need to replace all 4 tyres on my Superb within the next couple of months so considering the profile change

Only downside is the 50 profile at £19 more each on BlackCircles at the moment :(

I now won't go back to the original tyre size.

Comfort has improved, the car runs over imperfections much nicer than before.

Increased pothole resistance.

Better alloy wheel protection from kerbing.

Cosmetically improved, the wheels now fill the arches and the tyres look much chunkier.

No adverse effects on fuel consumption or tyre wear.

I've no doubt cornering will be less firm but I haven't noticed, mainly because I drive on UK roads and don't spend a lot of time on the Nurburgring  :D

So much is the improvement I'm now running this size on my summer tyres too (Goodyear Efficient Grip). I'd pay the premium every time.

• Like 1

I'd agree with everything  Silver says, I'm not going back to 40 profile 18's. The 50's have proved excellent and cheaper than 40's as they are lasting longer with none of the tyre damage I was getting on the 40's. Much improved comfort with no real effect on handling.

• Like 2

I would echo the comments above.  I'm on my second set of 45 profile 18s and although its not as dramatic a jump as those of you that have gone to a 50 profile, I can vouch for increased longevity and certainly more comfort overall.  The constant crashing into every uneven surface has definitely disappeared.

• Like 2

Have you all reported this modification to your insurer?? Because I'm pretty sure in case of accident - if they notice it - they'll invalidate insurance - whatever the modification would be.

Even something irrelevant as darkening back windows is classified as modification and need to be added to the policy.

I would echo the comments above. I'm on my second set of 45 profile 18s and although its not as dramatic a jump as those of you that have gone to a 50 profile, I can vouch for increased longevity and certainly more comfort overall. The constant crashing into every uneven surface has definitely disappeared.

I'm considering going from 225/40 R18's onto 225/45 R18's in the future. I appreciate that the speedo will be a tad out but possibly still within acceptable limits. Have you had any problems?

Thanks.

Dave

Edited by drefaldwyn

I would echo the comments above.  I'm on my second set of 45 profile 18s and although its not as dramatic a jump as those of you that have gone to a 50 profile, I can vouch for increased longevity and certainly more comfort overall.  The constant crashing into every uneven surface has definitely disappeared.

I'm considering going from 225/40 R18's onto 225/45 R18's in the future. I appreciate that the speedo will be a tad out but possibly still within acceptable limits. Have you had any problems?

Thanks.

Dave

IIRC Superb170 mentioned in another thread that they went to 235/45/R18. 225/45 is going to be about 11 mm taller than 225/40. 235/45 will be about 16 mm. I'd probably go with whichever size I can get cheapest.

• Like 1

Have you all reported this modification to your insurer?? Because I'm pretty sure in case of accident - if they notice it - they'll invalidate insurance - whatever the modification would be.

Even something irrelevant as darkening back windows is classified as modification and need to be added to the policy.

Yes, read back though the posts. I checked it out before changing.

I had  to replace everything under the number plate recently , bumper lights etc, etc as the car was hit by a tree (true story). I asked the assessor about what the insurance company said about the wheels and it's not a problem once you notify them. His A6 had exactly the same wheels as I have on the Superb.

Thanks.

Dave

Its out by about 4kph i.e. under reading. Prior to changing, there was a 5/6 kph tolerance so most of that is eroded now. As long as you remember that the speed you're looking at on the speedo is pretty much what you're being clocked at (if you're unlucky enough to pass a camera).

Its out by about 4kph i.e. under reading. Prior to changing, there was a 5/6 kph tolerance so most of that is eroded now. As long as you remember that the speed you're looking at on the speedo is pretty much what you're being clocked at (if you're unlucky enough to pass a camera).

Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated! Will definitely swap her boots for the 45 profile as soon as practicable.

Dave

Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated! Will definitely swap her boots for the 45 profile as soon as practicable.

Dave

No hassle, just remember you'll pay an extra few quid for the 225/45 as it's not a regular size - 45 profile is normally found with a 235 tyre, like on an A6 or the new Superb. I paid about €15 to €20 per tyre extra here. Still worth it though
  • Like 1

I've had multiple diameters on my Octavia with the speedometer being anywhere from 11kph out at 110kph (ex-factory) to being a direct 110=110.  

I found that the more accurate I had the speedometer, the less likely I was to speed.  I have no idea why or if it was just a psychological thing.

• Like 2