VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

Yesterday morning, I keyed in my Superb 170 Tdi into http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions and got a response that my car was subject of a recall. Later in the day, I tried again and got a response that there was no recall against my car.

I've just tried again and it seems I can only input 16 of the 17 characters in the VIN.

Anyone else had this or might it be an iPad thing?

John

From my experience it doesn't matter what Vin details you feed in, the answer will not be guaranteed as true. I fed my Vin in twice and each time the answer came back as not affected. This I did not believe so I used another link to Skoda and asked them to check, which they did and came back with the opposite answer, my car IS fitted with defeat software. They said they fed in the chassis number and Reg. details and got the true answer that way.

Vag will start on recalls in January 2016 according to Bbc news

.... which will only fuel the speculation that they need the couple of months "grace" because the group does not have a fix in place as yet...

To be fair this is going to take some organising as an extra job to be done,requiring extra staff and I suspect many will be done at the same time as a service,so I will try to hang on till then also by then many members will have reported the results of the fix.

I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would bother with the recall, it's a loose/loose situation for the car owner and it's not compulsory. I don't buy into the resale issues either, I would be looking for one with out the fix personally.

• Like 2

I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would bother with the recall, it's a loose/loose situation for the car owner and it's not compulsory. I don't buy into the resale issues either, I would be looking for one with out the fix personally.

Call me 'chicken' but I do all my own work and would padlock the diagnostics connecter if I was within sight of a Skoda dealer! I will wait and see what happens to others first. Get a copy of your ECU file now!

• Like 1

How do you know the recall is not compulsory ?

I can only go on information given so far saying it won't be safety critical. History given on previous safety recalls shows that it's hard to enforce compulsory recalls with many cars never returning to the dealers. A non compulsory recall would also be a cheaper option? Is it possible your rod tax would be adjusted if your car isn't taken in...

I used the VIN checker on Skoda site last night and my 5 months old Superb II 170 TDI DSG came up positive.

I don't know how they got my details but those "No Win No Fee" lawyers have already been contacting me about their group actions. Please ask and read their CFA (Conditional Fees Agreement) before you sign on. Shop around because some of them can take up to 25% from your compensation. Personally, I'll wait for those lawyers to drop their fees since this does not seem to be a hard case to win. Also the UK government might have a similar scheme like PPI claims. I think the factors they will be looking at are: emission level, performance, fuel economy and resale value. The UK Government already stated that owners of the affected cars would not be subject to higher tax but there is nothing to stop them to raise the fuel duty and road tax for diesel cars as a whole. If VW/Skoda's fix means configure the affected cars to run in "test mode" or "low emission mode" permanently, the performance and fuel economy will get hit. With regard to resale value, my original plan was to drive the Superb II for a year and swap it for Superb III. VW's scam may cost me more to do so. That said, Skoda may have to discount Superb III more because of this scandal.

My guess is VW has not a clue what to do next because of their very slow response which has fuelled more speculation and anger in social media like this forum. Today is the day they have to come up with a plan and let's see what it is. I used to own 2 SAABs and loved them. SAAB's demise was not to follow their master's instruction so as to uphold quality. I really hope the opposite won't come true for Skoda by following the master's order and put whatever they were given into the engine bay. I love my Superb II but do feel very much cheated by VW/Skoda.

I have a 2014 Superb 4x4 that is affected, the ECU has been remapped to 180bhp. I will not be taking it anywhere near a skoda garage as they will have to reduce the power output to well below the original 140bhp to get the emissions low enough to pass the test???

My guess is VW has not a clue what to do next because of their very slow response which has fuelled more speculation and anger in social media like this forum. Today is the day they have to come up with a plan and let's see what it is. I used to own 2 SAABs and loved them. SAAB's demise was not to follow their master's instruction so as to uphold quality. I really hope the opposite won't come true for Skoda by following the master's order and put whatever they were given into the engine bay. I love my Superb II but do feel very much cheated by VW/Skoda.

If you were to ask me, I would suggest that it will either be removal of the offending software or an upgrade to Euro 6 and the addition of Adblue,

In the light of all these uncertainties, does anyone think it is a good idea to respond with name, email address

and telephone number shown on the VIN check page when you are told the bad news about your engine?

My natural reaction was to fill it in and submit the form. But then I thought I will wait and watch what happens.

Like everyone else, the last thing I want is any adverse effect on pereformance or fuel economy following

whatever they decide to do on the recall. My Yeti 140bhp runs perfectly well as it is thank you!

In the light of all these uncertainties, does anyone think it is a good idea to respond with name, email address

and telephone number shown on the VIN check page when you are told the bad news about your engine?

My natural reaction was to fill it in and submit the form. But then I thought I will wait and watch what happens.

Like everyone else, the last thing I want is any adverse effect on pereformance or fuel economy following

whatever they decide to do on the recall. My Yeti 140bhp runs perfectly well as it is thank you!

I definitely did not fill in my details when I did the VIN test. I don't want Skoda/VW to target me individually and ask me to sign something I don't want or need to. Like many owners, I would not let Skoda touch my car not until they explain what they are going to do and the impact to my car's value, running cost, performance and fuel economy, and the level of compensation they offer.

If you were to ask me, I would suggest that it will either be removal of the offending software or an upgrade to Euro 6 and the addition of Adblue,

Would the removal of the offending software result in failing the emission test and MOT? Can VW afford to do an upgrade? Looks like VW is facing a problem to which they have no answer.

Whether you send your contact details or not is maybe irrelevant, the V5 contains those anyway so a quick connection between the VIN and the V5 and they have your contact details. My 1.6 TDi CR Roomie that I have just bought has come back as positive. Now I asked the dealer if it was affected and he told me 'no' its just newer cars. I used to own a 1.4 TDi and had ben after a 1.6 for a while and I'm happy with my new car, not really bothered with the hooha, just concerned that the gubberment will try imposing a fix on those who don't want to have one done. Of course, then there is the insurance co's who may stick their noses in too, they will if there is any chance to make a fast buck off anyone. Oddly.......when I notified my insurance co of the change of car, 1.4 to 1.6 Tdi, the premium went down by £10.00 :)  

Do we or can we take VW's word for it? We all know the answer. How do we know if the Euro 6 conforming cars haven't got even more clever defeat software? Could "Not affected" in German also mean "Not exposed"?

The longer I wait, the more questions I have and more cynical I get.

Do we or can we take VW's word for it? We all know the answer. How do we know if the Euro 6 conforming cars haven't got even more clever defeat software? Could "Not affected" in German also mean "Not exposed"?

The longer I wait, the more questions I have and more cynical I get.

I don't think VW can afford to c**k this up as the world is watching.  I think we can trust them.  But we might not like the solution.

Edited by jst_at_home

I don't think VW can afford to c**k this up as the world is watching.  I think we can trust them.  But we might not like the solution.

I don't think we can trust VW to come up with a solution we like. I would guess their priority now is damage minimization rather than customer care.

My 2015 Rapid 1.6 TDI is affected (as expected). A recall of course cannot be enforced, but if they send it to the dealers' software as a compulsory update, then anyone that brings their car for a normal service will get the "treatment" and the dealer will not be able to bypass this as he is required to send data online to Skoda. Especially scr**d are people like me who are still under warranty.

If you ask me why I would not want the update, the answer is simple: First, I prefer to drive the car as I bought it, not with less power or mileage. Second, I really don't trust VW about what will the update include. Maybe they'll do nothing. Maybe they'll reduce power. Maybe they'll increase consumption. Or make the DPF clogged within a year. Or, worst, do anything that will reduce the engine's or other components' life.

Really, who knows what they'll do in order to "fix" things in such a hurry?

What could recover their image to my eyes? Releasing full technical details about the offending software and a changelog of the new version to come. Highly unlikely.