VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

before anyone puts a spanner on my car, i want to know what effect it will have on BHP / torque  and mpg so i can compare with quoted figures when I bought the car if new figs are lower, then we can talk compensation before they touch my car not after, otherwise forget it there not doing any fix to my car!

Don't believe the government about not revising the Tax Vehicle Emissions bands.. they're already doing it.. so to trust them is arrogance on your part.

It wasn't the sole reason.. but one of the reasons.  If it's advertised as being low emissions, but in reality it isn't.. then it's breach of contract between the customer and VWGroup.. they've mis-sold and blatantly lied to generate a sale. 

Yes I would think it reasonable for VWGroup to pay off the entire balance of my car, they couldn't afford 100,000+ Skoda customers to take them to court and pursue costs for selling them something which clearly wasn't as it was supposed to be.  Settling for VWGroup just to pay road tax for the lifetime of the car isn't enough.  If you buying into a more eco-friedly car, you expect it to be so and someone wouldn't necessarily be happy to continue driving around in a vehicle which doesn't live up to the billing and exceeds the advertised emissions by over 40 times what they are claimed by a company who makes billions out of motorists.

I don't particularly care if you don't care so much about your Octavia.. we all buy cars for different reasons.  Fabia's are in the super-hatch category, therefore drivers of those are probably more eco-concious than Octavia drivers who probably like yourself don't care in the slightest.

CP7rZjLW8AAEGvc.jpg

Got a letter from skoda this morning confirming my engine is affected and to check here for updates: http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

I got the same one, though there still isn't much to go on. From the transport committee meeting yesterday it sounds like the solution for the 2.0 TDI is a remap/ECU update that doesn't negatively affect MPG & CO2, but no mention of power no being impacted :(

before anyone puts a spanner on my car, i want to know what effect it will have on BHP / torque  and mpg so i can compare with quoted figures when I bought the car if new figs are lower, then we can talk compensation before they touch my car not after, otherwise forget it there not doing any fix to my car!

This.

Happy with how it drives and the consumption at present so, I'm not wanting to loose that... 

If there is a negative effect I think the idea of just not doing it and leaving it until your about to sell the vehicle could be an option...?

(1.6 TDI here)

Edited by Avengeruk
  • Like 1

There is an interesting response to a question raised on Honest John. This is the most straighforward answer I have seen (as a layman that is) to the matter. Any comments about the validity or accuracy of the response? You need to scroll down the page to see the question and then a little further for the answer,

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/63797/vw-emissions-scandal

Then why didn't they do it in the first place?

we all know the answer to this ----MONEY---- 

Of course the fix may improve cars....

well we can hope so

It seems a bit more than HOnest John says , not EGR anD DPF , injectors seem like a lot more to me

also I got the extra clean Greenline , i think they owe me more than an explanation and a fix!

Why do they need to change the injectors on the 1.6 engine? I can understand the software fix if it is just to defeat the defeat device but physical changes. I am sure there are some technics out there who could explain it in laymans terms; please??

If you don't remove NOx (Nitrous Oxides) in the exhaust (using an Adblue SCR system for example) then you have to reduce production of NOx in the first place, which based on my very basic understanding is usually achieved by burning more fuel (and very precise timing and dosage of fuel, possibly more than once per cycle), and I guess that's why they need new injectors on the 1.6 (this is all speculation so please feel free to correct me).

Also, the main reason for having an EGR is to reduce NOx, so I'm guessing that may need be open more (and we all know what a pain sooted up EGRs can be, but they reduce fuel economy too).

I hate to think what impact this potential extra fuel burn and EGR will have on the production of particulates (and thus the life of your DPF)! And that's before we even get to fuel economy.

Measures to reduce NOx within the combustion chamber of a diesel engine can result in more particulates being produced. Equally important, trying to reduce NOx within the engine cylinder also has a detrimental effect on fuel economy. All of which rather defeats the object of creating a leaner ‘greener’ engine!

Source: Cummins UK http://www.cumminseuro6.com/customise/upload/files/40_a.pdf

Edited by ckyliu

I guess just like many other affected Skoda owners, I received a letter  this morning from Mr Alasdair Stewart, Director of Skoda UK confirming that my Superb is affected. I can see that VW spin doctors have been busy at work. Instead of Michael Horn's straight to the point "screw up", the UK wording is "...with reference to the recently highlighted emissions issue regarding EA189 diesel engines.......". In short, scam has been reworded to "issue". Also they created a new phase "Service Action" rather than "Recall". I am looking forward to seeing what phases/words they would use to describe "higher fuel consumption", "lower horse power" and "lower resale value". By the way, I cannot see the word "apology" or "apologize" anywhere in Skoda's letter. Does VW really want to regain my trust?! 

I guess I will wait for those lawyers circling round to come up with a solid plan before calling one of them in to deal with this. Let the vulture deal with the rat.

• Like 1

There is an interesting response to a question raised on Honest John. This is the most straighforward answer I have seen (as a layman that is) to the matter. Any comments about the validity or accuracy of the response? You need to scroll down the page to see the question and then a little further for the answer,

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/63797/vw-emissions-scandal

An excellent write up by honest John

I quoted Honest John's answer: "The greatest damage is to the perception of VAG cars as somehow being superior to other makes, but everyone who bought one is effectively a subscriber to brand snobbery and is likely to continue to support that to protect their investment."

I don't think I am a subscriber to brand snobbery for owning a Skoda.  I am more than happy to switch to other brands. One new joke I heard about Skoda is "Why does a Skoda have a heated rear screen?" The old answer from the 80s is "to keep your hands warm when you push it". The new answer is "to disperse the nasty stuff from the exhaust".

Yesterday morning, I keyed in my Superb 170 Tdi into http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions and got a response that my car was subject of a recall. Later in the day, I tried again and got a response that there was no recall against my car.

I've just tried again and it seems I can only input 16 of the 17 characters in the VIN.

Anyone else had this or might it be an iPad thing?

John

Are you sure there are no spaces?  I tried with a space and got a "not affected" notice.  Unspaced, it is affected.

I get the impression V A G think if they replace the software, they have solved the problem. As far as I am concerned they will be mistaken. I was misled when I bought my car when new by being told supposed facts and chose what I did because of the stated emissions and CONSEQUENTLY the amount of the Road Tax at least and the likely retained value of the vehicle in due course. So whatever upward changes there are to any costs I incur as the result of V A G's lies and deceit I will expect compensation of a financial nature and ongoing if necessary. I assume other deceived purchasers feel the same?

I think there are two valid questions:  1. Will my car's performance, emissions, longevity or fuel economy be adversely affected in any way at all?  2. If the answer is yes, how do you propose to compensate me, including cost and inconvenience factors for getting the work done?   Surely, this HAS to be a class action?

Edited by Jayelem

Thankfully an offer on a showroom TSI steered me away from the ex demo 1.6 TDI Spaceback I had gone with the intention of buying last summer. However I feel I may have not bothered with taking part in any recall if I'd gone ahead in getting the diesel, as I cannot see any hastily conceived fix to pacify politicians, will work as well the original design, albeit an illegal one.

As a side note a work colleague has just received a letter from Seat telling him his 09/09 Xeos is effected by this illegal design.

TP

I found a US based article on the issue that includes some tests they carried out. Watch the video for an overview. They allege they know how the cheat works and have tested mpg and acceleration with and without the cheat.  Who knows whether this is valid or not; I just thought it worth sharing.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/vw-diesel-cheat-mode-mpg-performance/

Quote from the video

“To figure out precisely how “cheat mode” changed those numbers, Consumer Reports hacked its way into a 2015 Jetta TDI and 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, tricking them into thinking they were being tested by the EPA, then put them on the track.

According to CR, both cars added less than a second in the 0 to 60 mph time. The Jetta saw fuel economy drop from 53 to 50 mpg, and the Sportwagen went from 50 to 46 mpg.

Fortunately for owners, those aren’t dramatic changes. But that’s unlikely to stop the lawsuits or potentially crippling penalties that are coming for VW.”

I found a US based article on the issue that includes some tests they carried out. Watch the video for an overview. They allege they know how the cheat works and have tested mpg and acceleration with and without the cheat.  Who knows whether this is valid or not; I just thought it worth sharing.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/vw-diesel-cheat-mode-mpg-performance/

Quote from the video

“To figure out precisely how “cheat mode” changed those numbers, Consumer Reports hacked its way into a 2015 Jetta TDI and 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, tricking them into thinking they were being tested by the EPA, then put them on the track.

According to CR, both cars added less than a second in the 0 to 60 mph time. The Jetta saw fuel economy drop from 53 to 50 mpg, and the Sportwagen went from 50 to 46 mpg.

Fortunately for owners, those aren’t dramatic changes. But that’s unlikely to stop the lawsuits or potentially crippling penalties that are coming for VW.”

One second is a big deal when talking about acceleration time. Same goes for the mileage, to a lesser extend.

I think there are two valid questions:  1. Will my car's performance, emissions, longevity or fuel economy be adversely affected in any way at all?  2. If the answer is yes, how do you propose to compensate me, including cost and inconvenience factors for getting the work done?   Surely, this HAS to be a class action?

I have been approached by 5 lawyers so far. As I said, I will let the vulture deal with the rat when VW UK comes up with an actual action plan.

BTW, one lawyer said BBC Panorama would like to talk with the affected owners. Do contact them if you would like to share your view and experience with the public.

I quoted:

"

Finally, we have been approached by Amazing Productions who are making a Panorama, for BBC Television, about the recent Volkswagen emissions scandal. 

The team are looking for people who bought a Volkswagen, (or Skoda / Audi) for environmental/ fuel consumption reasons and are now seeking redress.  They would like to talk to people on camera about why they bought the car and their subsequent feelings now that VW have admitted fixing their emissions tests. 

If you are interested please contact Eliana on 07964 665 664 or email her [email protected]

"

• Like 1

Well now it turns out there's a second, newer cheat device in action on the 2016 diesel engines. Now that is a big problem for me with my 150tdi Yeti about to be built! Bad enough that I've already got a 170tdi SEAT I need to sell on but I'm thinking I'd be a bit of a mug to buy a new car on a lease deal knowing it will need work pretty soon which may dump on the performance... Hmm. 

Well now it turns out there's a second, newer cheat device in action on the 2016 diesel engines. Now that is a big problem for me with my 150tdi Yeti about to be built! Bad enough that I've already got a 170tdi SEAT I need to sell on but I'm thinking I'd be a bit of a mug to buy a new car on a lease deal knowing it will need work pretty soon which may dump on the performance... Hmm. 

Do you mean cheat device on Euro 6 engine as well? If this is true, my plan to switch to Superb III will be off. That would be a great shame.

Do you mean cheat device on Euro 6 engine as well? If this is true, my plan to switch to Superb III will be off. That would be a great shame.

Answer to my own question; just saw this headline on Skynews "VW Says More Suspect Software In 2016 Diesels". What next? Petrol engines as well?

Copy of post I made in the Superb 3 forum.

This looks like a whole different issue. It allows the catalyst to heat up more quickly than in normal driving. This is an allowed system in the testing regimes. The problem is simply that they appear not to have told the US authority that they are fitted and thus their approval to sell is not valid.

Nothing to suggest 'cheating' technically in the same way that I understand the earlier problems.

Quote from a US source

“On the other hand, auxiliary emissions control devices on passenger vehicles are routinely added by carmakers but they are required by law to be disclosed as part of the process to receive the emissions certifications required the vehicle can be sold. Carmakers are allowed to use these devices under deals negotiated with regulators that provide for higher emissions in very specific circumstances.”

Pete