VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

The chap behind the counter at the main agents where I bought the car.

To be fair I'd probably get bored enough to make up all sorts of rubbish like this to tell customers if I worked in a dealership.

Sullyman, 

maybe worth checking who supplies and produces some of the Fuels that are in Super Market Filling Stations and Named Stations.

Like Greenergy that Produces Tesco Momentum 99 (Super Unleaded) also Supply the Petrol & Unleaded to the ESSO Stations in Scotland & 

in various other Regions of the UK. They also supply other Branded filling stations.

Also Greenergy and Royal Dutch Shell Own & Share Facilities together for bringing in Stock Fuels, processing and distribution.

You may well get additives from different Brands or Own Brands, but unless they are telling you openly what the Detergents are or Octane Boosters, you are likely getting the Minimum requirement under the required standards, because they need to meet those, 

and you might get better than Minimum depending on what is Sourced in Europe and Other World Regions and Shipped into the UK.

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

(This is about Petrol, but Diesel Road Fuels are much the same, they are bought on World Markets and Imported 

or Refined in the Few UK Refineries like at Grangemouth. 

Diesel is not a complicated fuel, in fact there are plenty Diesel Engines that run quite happily on Vegetable Oil.)

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Hi All, so I did use whatever I found was cheapest, normally Tesco, Morrison's etc. normal diesel - not the super one.  Having changed to BP, first time I did use the super, then and with the Esso I have used, just the normal diesel.  Just come back from Nottingham and computer says I did 49.6mpg, now maybe adjust a bit, so say 48mpg but even so - WHOW!  Spoken to other people in fleet trade and they all say do not use cheap supermarket diesel, stick with main line names.

No news on cheat yet!

Having used Tesco or Esso as they both give Clubcard points I get no difference in fuel consumption or performance. Not sure what MPG you were getting before but on a run I'm constantly getting low 50's so I guess Tesco really stick to their "every little helps".

Your first link is from October 11th 2015 so pretty out of date and from before we all received our first and second letters.... And your second link relates to the US rather than anything that is happening over here.

Sorry, WaveyDavey, just trying to help get some things moving.  

Re US, well I find that what happens there will happen here next. So I will keep reading and learn.

Have you any news on the cheat?

It seems American cars are not only built differently to cope with stricter emission regulations anyway but the fix for Europe will involve far less changes. The April deadline is for US changes to be confirmed whilst we don't seem to have the same deadlines even though the letters we have received seem to indicate that recalls would begin in March for 2.0litre diesels.

Sorry, WaveyDavey, just trying to help get some things moving.

Re US, well I find that what happens there will happen here next. So I will keep reading and learn.

Have you any news on the cheat?

The US is a totally different kettle of fish to what is happening over here. The US have already had talk of compensation and buy back etc.... Which I think you've got next to no chance of getting over here.

Hi All, so I now understand that maybe the US experience is different.  I will bear this in mind in the future.  Like Smojejoe, when will the UK update happen?

Hi All, so I now understand that maybe the US experience is different.  I will bear this in mind in the future.  Like Smojejoe, when will the UK update happen?

In ten years when the cars are due to be scrapped.

Third letter from Skoda arrived this morning stating that the 'fix' is still being worked on and will be rolled out during 2016 but no firm dates yet. They are confirming that their 'aim' is that there should be no change to published figures of output, fuel consumption or performance after the update has been applied.

• Like 1

I have received a letter from Skoda today but forgot to open it before heading in to work this evening. At least I know what it's about now. :)

I also received the letter this morning. Fortunately for me, my MK2 Octavia was traded in last week :D  :D

Paul

It looks as though there is a mass sending of letters , as I received mine today. Skoda are playing down the problem in saying the 2.0 ltr engines only need software change taking 30 mins and the 1.6 versions an airflow addition and the software change, taking 60 mins. So all in all, a non event and fuss over nothing in V A G's assessment, especially as the performance of the vehicle in terms of mpg, speed etc will not be affected, which I find rather strange in that they went to all the trouble of deceit in the first place, for what and why. I don't think the Americans will be so an easy walk-over?. Neither should Europeans?.

It looks as though there is a mass sending of letters , as I received mine today. Skoda are playing down the problem in saying the 2.0 ltr engines only need software change taking 30 mins and the 1.6 versions an airflow addition and the software change, taking 60 mins. So all in all, a non event and fuss over nothing in V A G's assessment, especially as the performance of the vehicle in terms of mpg, speed etc will not be affected, which I find rather strange in that they went to all the trouble of deceit in the first place, for what and why. I don't think the Americans will be so an easy walk-over?. Neither should Europeans?.

They are worried, as are many owners, that what will change with the software "update" is that the car becomes less "driveable".  

As VAG define horsepower and torque and fuel consumption the update will produce the same hp, torque and fuel consumption but that driveability is what is in question.  Will the car pull from the same revs as easily, will its 0-60, 40-70 times be the same?

What some owners will want is to know those figures not just the Kw, Nm and mpg which can still be good but the engine become less well at providing get up and go as it controls the emissions more tightly.

I will be interested to see the first dyno and road test of the first batch of 1.6D and 2.0Ds and how many owners take them back shortly after or get them remapped to something as was or more powerful and how various governments enforce the compliant mapping on road users particularly those who want to use their cars in urban areas.  

They are worried, as are many owners, that what will change with the software "update" is that the car becomes less "driveable".  

As VAG define horsepower and torque and fuel consumption the update will produce the same hp, torque and fuel consumption but that driveability is what is in question.  Will the car pull from the same revs as easily, will its 0-60, 40-70 times be the same?

What some owners will want is to know those figures not just the Kw, Nm and mpg which can still be good but the engine become less well at providing get up and go as it controls the emissions more tightly.

I will be interested to see the first dyno and road test of the first batch of 1.6D and 2.0Ds and how many owners take them back shortly after or get them remapped to something as was or more powerful and how various governments enforce the compliant mapping on road users particularly those who want to use their cars in urban areas.  

Their worries are reasonable. The power and torque versus rpm diagram will retain its current peaks (maximum power and torque value) but I doubt that it will retain its "shape". It is very possible that the power and torque band will be more narrow than the stock configuration.

On another topic, you citizens of the UK and other large nations should be happier than others as your governmental agencies are in a stronger position to "bargain" with VAG and demand things to be done for the benefit of their citizens. Of course, other countries may benefit from the pressure of USA and UK are applying to VAG, but I wouldn't be surprise if different "fixes" are offered to different countries for the same problem.

'The Fix' is not Approved yet in Europe so not in the UK.

Skoda UK can play down the affect of the fix as much as they like, but Independent Testing is now going on.

1st Quarter of 2016 now passed by and no Appointments Arranged for carrying out 'The Fix', 

VW's Spin on Honesty & Customer Trust being won back is just that, Spin by their Media Department.

They have many dreams and wishes and 'Aims' for 'The Fix'.

Coming out and telling it like it is would be the best Policy.  

'Honesty is the best Policy'.    That is the Truth type Honesty.   That must somehow get lost in Translation at VWG Board Level 

from German into English.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I received the same letter yesterday, I feel like writing back and saying how can I believe what they say as they have mislead us (customer) once already. I would prefer they don't do anything to the car and give a goodwill payment like VW customers in the US received.

I got the letter a few days ago. Told me nothing I didn't already know. Mine is one of those that will need the new part fitting, so I will just have to wait for yet another letter. I think it's supposed to be done in October.

Their worries are reasonable. The power and torque versus rpm diagram will retain its current peaks (maximum power and torque value) but I doubt that it will retain its "shape". It is very possible that the power and torque band will be more narrow than the stock configuration.

On another topic, you citizens of the UK and other large nations should be happier than others as your governmental agencies are in a stronger position to "bargain" with VAG and demand things to be done for the benefit of their citizens. Of course, other countries may benefit from the pressure of USA and UK are applying to VAG, but I wouldn't be surprise if different "fixes" are offered to different countries for the same problem.

I see no reason why the EU Commissioners should not act on behalf of ALL E U countries, but of course, we have Germany at the helm!