VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

All,

I had the letter too.  But as Lol-lol says it is the driveability that will say if the car is still OK.  I think it will be hard to keep all the key things like BHP, torque etc. with no change.  Maybe that is why it is taking so long!  Also as one says if it were that simple why have a cheat in the first place, just a simple service update if only 30 mins!!  Wait and see what the testers and dyno say!

• 2 weeks later...

The 'fix' in the USA is more complicated, I understand - however the deceit is identical :)

Get off the fence Skoda UK !!

Hi As Eyegr says it is the driveability that counts.  I have seen some bhp and torque curves that current shapes.  Will be interesting to see what the shape is after the fix!  I may, as I said above go get a dyno print out before and after and see!

I see that MP's have been told that not one effected engine has been fixed so far.  MP's (not sure what group) were disgusted at this.  The US buyback was quoted it seems.  So maybe UK MP's/people are getting interested.  They say that nothing will get fixed until approved by UK - who???

Any  private person thinking of buying a new Skoda with a petrol engine would well be advised to wait a till later in the year as VW are introducing new engines which appear to be more powerful, more efficient and emit less pollution than the existing ones?    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-launches-new-modular-petrol-engines?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20bulletins&utm_content=ACAR%20ENEWS%20BULLETIN%20(30.04.2016)::link5_3&utm_source=20160430

....that will likely take a good while longer to appear in the Skoda line-up, if history and precedent is anything to go by.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All, Called Skoda central re the delay.  They said that mods were taking place.  I have been told most Audi drivers done.  My local Skoda dealer said up to Skoda central but seems that Superb 2.0ltr will be done first then Octavias.!!!!  Skoda central said that the fix will only address the testing cycle phase of the engines use and not day to day use.  So I asked what about NOX?  They said this is not part of the legal spec and no change, just when testing.  So what does this mean?  We still have an engine that splurts out high NOX all the time anyway!  But the fix just does the test cycle so no effect on daily driving!!  What the hell!!!!  Oh Skoda central said should get mine done in Q3 as 1.6 and 1.2 due for Q3/4.

I spoke to my cousin who works for VAG and he said that he was sent to Germany for some training how to deal with issues including how and what to say customers.

He said that all the changes for 2.0tdi engines as about to adjust all temeratures and it will mostly effect the dpf filter by shorting it operating life.

Good news are that you can get brand new dpf filter for about f200 and even get f50 back for your old one in Poland:-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Make sure you are certain you will get the same spec. dpf. When petrol CATs started failing with horrendous dealer replacement costs, the aftermarket suppliers were offering much cheaper replacements and old CAT trade ins were in demand to recycle the platinum content. The clue with the aftermarkets was the 3 year warranty. They only put enough expensive catalyst in to last out the warranty!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Missed this one......

VW's diesel fix for Audi Q5 makes NOx worse, consumer group says

July 8, 2016 @ 5:19 am
Alissa de Carbonnel
Reuters

Shares

AR-307089928.jpg
The Audi Q5's NOx emissions were 25% higher after the diesel fix was made, the European Consumer Organization (BEUC) said.

BRUSSELS -- Volkswagen Group's technical fix for the Audi Q5, one of the vehicles involved in its diesel-emissions cheating scandal did not reduce emissions in a new test, a European consumer group said.

VW has argued that the fix for the 8.5 million vehicles affected by its cheating in Europe would make them compliant with EU regulations, avoiding the need to compensate owners.

The test of the diesel Audi Q5, equipped with a 2.0-liter EA189 Euro 5 engine, by the Italian consumer group Altroconsumo showed harmful nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions were 25 percent higher after the removal of illegal software than before the technical fix was made, the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC) said in a statement.

VW was not immediately available to comment.

"VW's solution to deactivate the defeat device is not reliable," BEUC's head Monique Goyens said in the statement.

Germany's motor vehicle authority, the KBA, has so far approved technical solutions on more than 3.7 million group vehicles, VW said last month, including models from the VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat brands.

VW's recall covers diesel cars with 2.0-, 1.6- and 1.2-liter Euro 5 diesel engines that have manipulated software. The 2.0- and 1.2-liter engines will get a software upgrade that requires about 30 minutes of labor time. The 1.6-liter engine will require the installation of a piece of mesh to regulate air flow in addition to a software upgrade, a process that VW said will take less than an hour.

Financial compensation

Pressure has built on VW to offer financial compensation to customers in Europe after the carmaker agreed to pay out up to $15.3 billion in the U.S. to settle civil claims.

"VW must compensate European consumers," Goyens said. "National public authorities must finally take action and put pressure on VW to correct their misbehavior."

While the EU's industry commissioner has urged VW not to treat U.S. and European customers differently, despite differing legal systems, responsibility for policing, penalties and enforcement in the EU lies mainly with national authorities.

Legal wiggle room over whether software used to switch off emissions controls contravene EU law has muddied the waters, with automakers saying they are allowed to protect engines against potential damage.

A spokeswoman for the EU executive said it had asked for additional information on why reports by German and UK regulators in April found evidence of so-called defeat devices but deemed them legal.

Last week, EU Industry Commissioner Elzbieta Bienkowska took carmakers to task, saying they stretched the legal bounds, for instance with emissions control systems that switch off at below 17 degrees Celsius.

"That means in Northern Finland you drive without emission control almost all year-long," she said at an industry gathering. "What you do is you make the exception the general rule."

Automotive News Europe contributed to this report

Edited by lol-lol

Indeed, sounds like a different article/take on the original Italian test.  Reading again, and thinking more about what put forward, it appears they are suggesting many diesels will get reclassified from Euro6/5 to Euro 5/4 meaning some would be restricted from cities ie London's Emission Zone.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had another letter from Skoda in August saying they are able to carry out the technical measure bla bla bla.

My Skoda 2.0 TDI engine will involve a software update to the engine management system.

They go on to say after the completion of testing they confirm that there will be NO CHANGE to my vehicles performance, max torque or noise levels.

Performance data already published for my vehicle will also remain unchanged.

Then I am to get in touch and take my car to the nearest Skoda dealer.

I have done nothing about this and kept looking on here to see how many other people have had this letter and what have they done??

I can't find anyone?

HELP!! What to do?

Linda

It doesn't commit you if you phone your local dealer, or go in, & ask them what is involved in the software update.

Here's my experience.

I went in today to have the software fix. Before they started work I questioned the Service Manager about what was involved, he informed me that basically it wipes the current software & then uploads a re-written version to the car that has the cheat programme removed. Basically, the original programme with the cheat & any links to it written out. In the initial stages of preparing to wipe the old software on my car, the programme froze & refused to go any further. The dealer started an exchange of emails with SUK & apparently this has only happened once before. Further investigation, & no doubt another re-writing programme will end up being sent to the dealer. I would commend the dealer, Horton Skoda, who did their best to answer my questions before I handed the car over, & then once they realised there was a problem, immediately offered to lend me a comparable car with myself & my wife insured fully comp. At this stage the manager had only been told by the technician that the software installation had frozen halfway, & he was working on a worst case scenario that my car didn't have a viable engine control system. Fortunately, by that stage nothing had actually been changed, so I was able to drive my car away to await a call for another day to get the job completed.

When they notify me that a solution has been found, I will be taking my car back. They have assured me that if I do feel that the software update (once carried out) has made changes to economy, performance, noise, etc, they will take the car in & investigate.

I know that some posters have reported problems after the update, one of them on just about every thread on the emissions, but from the thousands that have had the update they would seem to be in a very small minority, so I'm prepared to let it happen. The final decision, Linda, is yours.