493 replies to this topic

#481 CWARD

CWARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:31

When I was looking for a replacement for the Skoda none had better gearboxes without going for premium brands. I also liked the colour too, race blue!

I really wanted to like the Octavia but fell out love with it quickly with the squeaky seat that would be noisy if in my desired and comfortable position but instead had to raise it so it didn't squeak. Then it was the cheap and flimsy interior that started to creak and rattle. The condensation is like nothing I've experienced since a door seal failed in another car but this one didn't have such a problem just poor design and an asthmatic heater. The electrics with first the rear wiper stopping working to be replaced with a new motor that wouldn't work either then started working only after pulling and reinserting the same fuse for the umpteenth time. Then it was windows opening themselves and swtiches working when they wanted even after replacement. Good riddance. 

The dealers although I've tarred them all unfairly with the same brush but DM Keith own all the Skoda dealerships in the area and could honestly call them the worst ever.

I'll be interested to see what you are offered on your car for part ex. You might want to try a few of the free valuation offered online by dealers to see what it is now worth.  

#482 CWARD

CWARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:33

It's being debated on Jeremy Vine today so might be interesting.

#483 CWARD

CWARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:43

Oh dear, the solicitor from Harcus Sinclair who is arguing for this group action on Radio 2 sounds useless stuttering and unable to answer the basics of the case including referring to the cheat software as a gizmo!  

#484 Coops

Coops

#RememberSenna

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:59

The Uk case goes to court later this month (January 17) and is expected to be concluded next year. There is already a EU guide case from Spain where the complainant got 5k Euros so British owners should be in line for about £4K for being sold sub standard product not according to advertising and specification. This should cost VAG about £5B in the UK but basically wipe out their stock value in Europe to cover the full 11 mullion cars.

VW Market Cap is currently 70B Euros so it would be close run thing. Hopefully Skoda and SEAT will be sold off to other manufacturers to produce other marques and VW-Audi can sort out their own house in Germany.

I don't know the exact split but I suspect the majority of VW Group drivers who were allegedly affected where fleet / company car drivers, how could / would any compensation be managed for them?

#485 tarlott

tarlott

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 14:00

So I gather from the forgoing threads that the general consensus is to ignore the recent recall letter received from Skoda.

I don't use main dealer service facilities so I'm not likely to be caught with an 'automatic upgrade' when due a service, as happened to a friends vehicle, as he immediately noticed his MPG figures had slumped around 6-7 mpg after a recent main dealer service. When he questioned the service department he was advised that Skoda recommended upgrades had been applied during the routine service and they refused further discussion.

However, as the whole exercise was caused by VAG 'cheating the system', what is likely to happen with ongoing MOT's. Will the testing stations have any indication as to whether the engine has been 'fixed' or still as original and if still original, is it likely to fail on the emission tests because it hasn't had the 'fix' applied?

#486 pipmurray

pipmurray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car:Yeti 2.0 TDI Elegance

Posted 09 January 2017 - 18:43

So I gather from the forgoing threads that the general consensus is to ignore the recent recall letter received from Skoda.

I don't use main dealer service facilities so I'm not likely to be caught with an 'automatic upgrade' when due a service, as happened to a friends vehicle, as he immediately noticed his MPG figures had slumped around 6-7 mpg after a recent main dealer service. When he questioned the service department he was advised that Skoda recommended upgrades had been applied during the routine service and they refused further discussion.

However, as the whole exercise was caused by VAG 'cheating the system', what is likely to happen with ongoing MOT's. Will the testing stations have any indication as to whether the engine has been 'fixed' or still as original and if still original, is it likely to fail on the emission tests because it hasn't had the 'fix' applied?

I am certain MOT's currently only test CO2 levels so I fail to see how a fix or not will make any difference.

#487 Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Car:Rapid 1.6 Diesel DSG SE 14 Plate

Posted 13 January 2017 - 14:58

What happens if you haven't had it done & the MOT rules are changed? Will Skoda turn round & say "Well, you should have had it done when you had the chance" It's now going to cost you £XXX. I called in the dealers that I got my Rapid from (Simpsons Colne) last Saturday & asked about the fix. They said that there hadn't been any Rapids  recalled yet, so God knows when it'll happen.

#488 Offski

Offski

Furniture

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:57

Until the 'Hardware Part', the plastic bit/ is available to be fitted when the Remap / engine management is changed the 1.6 TDI's can not go in for 'the fix'. 

UK MOT's are not something that is difficult to pass and the UK Government change the MOT but Stations need to purchase the equipment required for testing 

and the DfT have not even sorted out detecting the presence or not of a DPF or Catalytic Converters.

Modified Vehicles and Vehicles with replacement engines that are not like for like swaps get MOT'd as presented.

If 'The Fix' is to be compulsory then the Government have to have VW paying owners to take in their vehicles not just expenses fot the travel but their lost hourly rate.

#489 Wino

Wino

Addict

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts
  • Car:Me: Mk2 Golf & 53 Polo 1.4 BBY, Her: 05 Fab 1.2 AZQ

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:34

I am certain MOT's currently only test CO2 levels so I fail to see how a fix or not will make any difference.

You're wrong. MOT test has no criteria for CO2.

#490 Tony R

Tony R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 21:07

Please excuse my ignorance ( feigned or otherwise ) but what role does the dpf play, and what would happen if it were not there ( some people get theirs removed ). I was under the impression it filtered, ie trapped diesel particles from getting out into the atmosphere, so for vehicles fitted with the troublesome things and if they are working properly, would not those vehicles be much better than ones without a dpf, and thus should the dpf fitted ones not be penalised as heavily, if at all?.

#491 Offski

Offski

Furniture

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 22:14

http://garagewire.co...ad-of-crackdown

(Bunch of those that act like crackheads governing the EU.)

There are more recent announcements on the intention of the 'crackdown', there are reports of it having happened in Spain.

About time really, but then the Government knows that they and the EU introduced and pigs dinner that has come back to bite their bums.

Euro 5 & 6 emissions and how manufacturers achieve them being a case of the EU's 3 monkey policy.

The population suffer the pollutants, the costs etc. Non drivers and drivers.

#492 pipmurray

pipmurray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car:Yeti 2.0 TDI Elegance

Posted 15 January 2017 - 22:23

You're wrong. MOT test has no criteria for CO2.

Apologies, I stand corrected.....

Emissions

The tester will use a gas analyser probe while the engine is running to test the smoke emitted from the exhaust. Emissions of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons must fall within the legal limit.

#493 CWARD

CWARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 22:38

On a diesel it is just the soot particles that are measured with a fail threshold of 3.0. Most cars are under 1.0

http://www.ukmot.com...ns - Diesel.asp

#494 lol-lol

lol-lol

Had more Skodas than I have fingers

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:40

oops-wrong thread.

Edited by lol-lol, 16 January 2017 - 07:44.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea189