provisionally bought VRS Estate...few questions please

Morning all,

Would appreciate any views....

Have provisionally reserved a 62 plate VRS Estate in Race Blue, Maxi Dot, rear parking sensors,1 owner, 22k mileage, full skoda history, just been serviced and MOT'd. I can buy this car for £8900 from Arnold Clark in Scotland. Got to get back to them tomorrow (Friday) to let them know.....

1. Firstly.... I think this is pretty good price? What do you all reckon? Its a lot of car with good spec, colour and good mileage/history.

2. The only drawback is Im in Cornwall.....so a damn long way to get it. I can't check the car out either but the salesman tells me its all good except for a very minor kerbing to an alloy.

Apparently the previous owner was an elderly chap who's part exchanged it with them for a new Citroen.

3. The VRM is SN62 FWC .... I think it was registered Nov 2012....having checked out the engine/oil issues on here would this be one of the "newer" type engines?? Im going to ring Skoda UK today and see what they can tell me.

4. Oh and lastly the reviews on Arnold Clark are shocking!! Ive struggled to find a good one and most are saying to avoid them at all costs! I don't take reviews too seriously but it does concern me that pretty much everyone thats had anything to do with them have not been impressed. May not be too much of an issue.....as long as the car is as described and Ive done as much homework on it as I can then it should be ok. 

Anyone on here any experience of the dealer??

Thanks

Phil

Edited by philnanks
  • Like 1

Interesting.... a little more info....Just phoned Skoda customer services. The registration is not recognised so Im going to have to get the chassis number. They tell me that the only times the reg isn't on their system is if the vehicle is a grey import, which they'll confirm once they've got the vin no.

Should that make any difference to the price of the car do you think?

• Like 2

Hi.

Sorry in a hurry so can not post much.

(My niece had her 62 plate Peugeot she bought from AC 2 years ago MOT's yesterday and it Failed,

Exhaust hanging off and they filmed the MOT,  turns out the MOT was Expired on the 28th Anyway. They said £1,000 for an Exhaust.

It was welded and a Hose Clamp was used to hang the exhaust.

Thing is, they filmed the MOT last year, and the exhaust was hanging off, and they welded it, and hang it with a hose clamp.

Last year it was covered by their Warranty, now it has no Warranty.

So off to Glasgow.

Skoda UK CS are talking mince.

The car you are looking at was first Registered  16th November 2012.

No VED and MOT Current.

Expires 18th September 2016.

No grey import, 

just Skoda incompetent and computer system is sh!te.

Sorry can not check your potential car today when in Glasgow unless i get time.

Post which Dealer it is at.

Check where it is, nor where they said it is please.

Dont PM i can not read them, offski.

I'd be okay about buying a car from Arnold Shark, as long as I was happy about price and condition. I would NOT trust them to perform service or MOT work on a vehicle I owned though.

Vehicle Reliability Insurance (usually mis-named "warranty") is only as good as the under-writer.

• Like 1

As well as their warranty you get, buy the Skoda New Used Warranty.

Not going to Glasgow now.

Peugeot Dealer is Welding the Brackets on her car and putting a Warranty Claim in for a replacement.

& doing the MOT.

AC will get visited next week.

Nice that the tester last year filmed himself, it shows how as an Independent Tester he did his job.

As a AC Employee, he followed the mantra,

just do as little as possible and get them back out the door.

What about the Blue vRS Estate at Watford Seat ?

(EDIT, sorry that is a hatch)

http://autotrader.co.uk

Estates nearer you on here and under £10,000 Asking prices.

& Skoda or Seat Dealer will be happy to sell a car this week, and Asking Prices are just that, a starting point.

• Like 1

Helpful guy at Skoda Uk has filled me in on the info..... The car is on their system on a private reg hence why they couldn't find it on the one I gave them.

Its a UK reg car and everything checks out as it should!

Still in warranty until November this year.

Still can't find out whether its the newer engine? Anybody know how I could find out? 

Hi.

Sorry in a hurry so can not post much.

(My niece had her 62 plate Peugeot she bought from AC 2 years ago MOT's yesterday and it Failed,

Exhaust hanging off and they filmed the MOT,  turns out the MOT was Expired on the 28th Anyway. They said £1,000 for an Exhaust.

It was welded and a Hose Clamp was used to hang the exhaust.

Thing is, they filmed the MOT last year, and the exhaust was hanging off, and they welded it, and hang it with a hose clamp.

Last year it was covered by their Warranty, now it has no Warranty.

So off to Glasgow.

No VED and MOT Current.

No grey import, 

Sorry can not check your potential car today when in Glasgow unless i get time.

Post which Dealer it is at.

Check where it is, nor where they said it is please.

Dont PM i can not read them, offski.

Appreciate the offer to have a look at the car!

and your comments on AC sum up everything Ive read about them....and I see the Mr AC himself has been knighted?!!!

The car is at AC Linwood (Citroen dealer??) Don't know Scotland well Im afraid....its got a PA postcode.

I know its there as the salesman I spoke to yesterday went out and physically walked around it......which given their track record makes me dubious its as clean as he says!

If anyone could have a quick look id be really grateful!

The chaps back to work tomorrow so Ill need to let him know one way or the other.

Thanks again for all the help on here! Great forum!! :clap:

• Like 2

Yes.

Skoda UK Customer Service know if they paid for a new Engine,

& they know if they paid for an Oil Consumption Test, a Breather Pipe / Valve Mod & ECU Update.

Probably not,  but they also know the Service History if done in the VWG Network, and the car is in the Warranty Period.

Get Skoda UK to send the cars details and History, 

and if the helpful person can not, a Customer Service Manager can.

PS

There are a couple of members nearer than me and can maybe swing by and look at the car,

but it will be presented perfectly, they all are, so that is not an issue.

Ask the Salesperson to check what tyres are fitted though, and how much wear.

Just get the History from Skoda and you should be fine.

****************New Law starts today,******************

You can return faulty goods including cars in 30 days, and you do not have to accept repairs.

All will be good. 

just enjoy the buying and collecting.

• Like 2

What about the Blue vRS Estate at Watford Seat ?

(EDIT, sorry that is a hatch)

http://autotrader.co.uk

Estates nearer you on here and under £10,000 Asking prices.

& Skoda or Seat Dealer will be happy to sell a car this week, and Asking Prices are just that, a starting point.

Thanks, had a look and yeah its a HB....was after the estate and always liked the blue. Not easy to find either with the spec & mileage/history like the Scottish one.

Yes.

Skoda UK Customer Service know if they paid for a new Engine,

& they know if they paid for an Oil Consumption Test, a Breather Pipe / Valve Mod & ECU Update.

Probably not,  but they also know the Service History if done in the VWG Network, and the car is in the Warranty Period.

Get Skoda UK to send the cars details and History, 

and if the helpful person can not, a Customer Service Manager can.

From what they've told me on the phone it doesn't look like the cars been recalled for anything or had anything done to it i.e. service campaigns etc. They definitely couldn't tell me which engine was in it as in CAVE or CTHE? Thats all I really need to find out now. I read on here that the CTHE engine was from Sep 2012 so Im hoping this one should have it??

It was serviced twice in the Skoda network (2013 & 2014) but nothing since then. Im sure the salesman at AC told me its just been serviced this month at a skoda dealer but will check that again tomorrow.

NOVEMBER 2012 should be a CTHE.  (Unless it was built mid Year and in Stock or Showroom Unregistered, which is Unlikely)

The Sticker is at the bottom of the Drivers Door Pillar,

and on the V5,

& on Skoda UK Customer Services Computer Screen.

Just ask AC to look on the V5 or go look at the Door Pillar sticker when checking there are 4 good tyres on the car.

Matching tyres!'

Hopefully someone can post here if they traded a good one in recently and they know where it is up for sale.

I have not looked at the AC site yet on your potential car,

i will read the ad later.

If you like it, then just getting a trip up and you are sorted.

I will even meet you when you get here, check it out for you, and then you will be sure.

Not sure when i can get there to drive it this week, by i will try.

Edit.

Just Serviced at a Skoda Dealer.

3 Year Service, Oil & Filter, Brake Fluid Change.

Spark Plugs probably.   (Still not looked at Advert to see how many miles done.)

I will do that now.

• Like 1

20,755 miles.

So needs new Spark Plugs in.  

But have them done yourself. Or For you,  4 Plugs under £50.

Brake Fluid change was due at 3 years if not already done earlier.

So again £50 or so,

Might need a new Air Filter, only £16,

they might not have checked and it will not have been changed probably.

Not yet at the Service Schedule.

Pollen Filter was at the 2nd Service.

Looks good.

Should be fine.  Low Miles,  

But you need to buy the Skoda Warranty after the 30 Days, unless the AC one is really solid.

So £250 or so,

They sold a Silver Hatch last year to a member that drove up to collect it,

it had a new engine fitted by Henrys in Glasgow.

They never told the Buyer, because AC claimed they never knew a new engine was in.

Yet they Supplied the car new and had done the Servicing.

Sir Arnold never got were he is today wasting money on putting tyres on cars if they were legal enough to pass a MOT!!!!

NOVEMBER 2012 should be a CTHE.  (Unless it was built mid Year and in Stock or Showroom Unregistered, which is Unlikely)

The Sticker is at the bottom of the Drivers Door Pillar,

and on the V5,

& on Skoda UK Customer Services Computer Screen.

Just ask AC to look on the V5 or go look at the Door Pillar sticker when checking there are 4 good tyres on the car.

Matching tyres!'

Hopefully someone can post here if they traded a good one in recently and they know where it is up for sale.

I have not looked at the AC site yet on your potential car,

i will read the ad later.

If you like it, then just getting a trip up and you are sorted.

I will even meet you when you get here, check it out for you, and then you will be sure.

Not sure when i can get there to drive it this week, by i will try.

Edit.

Just Serviced at a Skoda Dealer.

3 Year Service, Oil & Filter, Brake Fluid Change.

Spark Plugs probably.   (Still not looked at Advert to see how many miles done.)

I will do that now.

Thats really good advice and help.....thanks!

Gives me a few more questions to ask tomorrow. Good tip about the Skoda warranty too which I would definitely do for piece of mind. Don't think the AC warranty would be in the same league from what Ive read!! Was quoted £350 ish for it I think?

Will give Skoda CS another ring to bottom out whether CAVE or CTHE.

Thanks again all!!

Finally..... Skoda CS still couldn't tell me but I found out the selling dealer was Ingrams in Ayr. Really helpful service chap told me it is a CTHE and he knows the car. It had a bodyshop repair to the front passenger wing last September, but other than that its a good car.

GoneoffSKion1....if theres any chance you could have a look over the car for me, especially now I know its been in the bodyshop Id appreciate it!

Think Ive got everything I need to know now.......thanks for everyones help!! :clap:

• Like 1

I know Ingrams and Ingrams Body shop.

Sometimes i am only 20 minutes away, and i will be there on the 12th.

(One of the members here has his excellent new engine in his car, fitted by them.)

As to Body Repairs and AC.

That is where my expertise is. I was a Spray Painter.

If i can get a chance i will go look,

but i will probably not get a drive now that the car is Reserved.

Presentation and colour match should be A1.

Tyres could be any Ditch Finders.

Brian69 or VrsGeo,

any chance you are passing and can check it out with a quick look around?

• Like 1

The OP needs to check with them because they say 'Linwood Citroen', and as you know it might or might not be.

I think it is there though.

I was at the Airport at the weekend and meant to swing by but they were closed.

I need to be careful or i will end up buying a Citroen as i really need a car with bubble wrap.

I stopped looking at their adverts or website.

Have you checked out a Citroen Cactus.?  

After the vRS it is like driving a Heaven Mattress.

Thanks guys for the offers to have a look at the car....really appreciate.....as I said earlier "what a great forum!!"

The car is definitely at Linwood Citroen as the guy I spoke with went out to look at it.....if anyone gets chance to see it, that would be great....its a blooming long way for me!

As its stands with what Ive found out today Ill be confirming the sale tomorrow with a holding deposit but Im not gonna be able to collect for 3 weeks.....hopefully someone would be kind enough to check it out for me....esp for the repaired passenger wing/colour match etc.

• Like 2

Can I give you my experience regarding this Arnold Clark. 

I purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.6 SC from them around 3 years ago (the same linwood one), my previous car and they were a shambles. I had issues regarding the finance that they had caused, issues with the car, pre checks not carried out, lied to about the about of previous owners and the history of the car and the salesmen. Thats totally my personal opinion on this branch but it will keep me from buying another car from them ever again. 

I hope if you decide to go with the car its a good yin, but be wary. 

Edited by Guest

No VED and MOT Current.

No grey import, 

PMSL gotta love George ;)

Helpful guy at Skoda Uk has filled me in on the info..... The car is on their system on a private reg hence why they couldn't find it on the one I gave them.

Its a UK reg car and everything checks out as it should!

Still in warranty until November this year.

Still can't find out whether its the newer engine? Anybody know how I could find out? 

If its under warranty you have some piece of mind, should be a CTHE, more power, more reliability.

you would be passing me in the lakes, give us a wave! ;)

and enjoy your drive home!

Shark

Can I give you my experience regarding this Arnold Clark. 

I purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.6 SC from them around 3 years ago (the same linwood one), my previous car and they were a shambles. I had issues regarding the finance that they had caused, issues with the car, pre checks not carried out, lied to about the about of previous owners and the history of the car and the salesmen. Thats totally my personal opinion on this branch but it will keep me from buying another car from them ever again. 

I hope if you decide to go with the car its a good yin, but be wary. 

I quite agree having seen the reviews on them....I don't think Ive ever seen so many negative reviews for 1 company!! Ive done all the research I can on the car & except for physically looking at it, it sounds a good 'un....Im hoping that George or a couple others might be able to run their eye over it before I fly up to pick it up end of the month!

Def don't think Id buy a new one or rely on their servicing/MOT'ing/warranty though!!