lock (microswitch?) working only when raining/wet?

Dear all,

i am aware of numerous posts here and in other forums regarding famous VAG locks and microswitch errors.

But, this is different.

For the life of me, i can not figure this one out (before the actual door strip).

When unlocking through the remote,

- the mirror puddle lights come on but go off then immediately

- if clicked again they will come on and will stay on; until the key in ignition (as it should be)

- when i open the driver door there is no open door signal (on the dashboard) and will lock itself

- but if i have door open and i click again on the fob for unlock,  the signal light (indicator on the dashboard) for the open door will come on for a split second; if i press again it repeats ... but it doesn't stay on

Now the fun part - if it is raining or i have the carwash:

When unlocking through the remote,

- the mirror puddle lights come on and stay on

- when i open the driver door there is open door signal (on the dashboard) and all is as it should be

This last for the whole wet period + 1-2 days; depends how hot the days are.

Further; all other doors do not have this issue (all are fine all the time).

Everything else works perfect (no symptoms of wather leaks, polen filter, etc. issue was done before it was issue thanks to this forum)

Carpets dry when turned over.

So, from this; i would rule out the microswitch; but dont have a clue where to start looking.

It's a superb 2007 BPZ.

I had before octavia mk1, and have done locks out jobs several times - but this now, it just don't fit the case.

Any thouths on this mystery much appreciated.

Thx

oh and VCDS:

00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
            27-00 - Implausible Signal

hi bigjohn;

thanks for reply.

but as already said:

Further; all other doors do not have this issue (all are fine all the time).

Everything else works perfect (no symptoms of wather leaks, polen filter, etc. issue was done before it was issue thanks to this forum)

Carpets dry when turned over.

we have prevented the pollen filter leak before it happened. Carpets always bone dry. Even no door leak - from behind the plastic.

I just wonder if anyone could have an idea of any kind where to start looking - before i start striping everything.

Cheers

As the window scrapers age at the top you'll notice they no longer scrape the window much as the window comes down - which also means they are letting a lot of water into the door.  It sounds like it gets much more humid / wet in the door after your carwash which makes it work for a while.  Sounds to me like something in the door.

This is part of the reason for the doors leaking more as they get older - not only are the carrier panel seals old and perished (and possibly interfered with), there is also far more water getting in the door than originally.

Yes, apparently i will need to start stripping the door.

I am thinking - due to nature of this issue i would believe it is not lock or behind the inner panel problem but more of wires in A pillar ->to door or the wiring in the window module behind the door card.

Just today i started in the morning (from garage) with the problem present as described in my original post. I drove 100 miles to work. It was a foggy morning (not raining) but i could se fog turning to water on the side mirrors. When stopped i opened the door and presto - the lights on and the signal for open door on the dashboard as well as mirror puddle lights working.

This would mean, that only small amount of water is enough for things to start working - and i think that it needs to accumulate somewhere (some joint or connection). Just i have no clue where this crossing should be (that triggers more elements at the same time).

• 3 months later...

huh totally forgot about this  but only because it hasn't been fix yet.

I did strip the door in mean time but with no results...it appears to be in order and no corrosion what so ever.

I couldn't find the problem so i live with it thru this freezing months

I have spotted some posts that would indicate a problem in the wing mirror ... is it possible?

when we get some sun i will look into it.

thanks to all so far

• 1 year later...

Update:

this mystery has been finally solved!

For the fact that lock was working properly only when it was wet, i was mislead.

I have taken driver lock it apart and there it was - cracked solder joints.

Fixed and working as new. (no costs)

In the mean time i got problem with the passenger lock as well. Sometimes it would lock and unlock sometimes i needed to hit the doors with hand and press the fob.

I took it apart and give a motor that operates the lock a good run wired on 12V.

Works good as new.

Thanks to all for your input.

• Like 1