Gear selection problems

Hi all

Recently bought a skoda fabia vrs and a do lots of motorway driving. ive now started to get a problem once being in traffic it becomes very hard to select first gear. I have to force it in sometimes or pump pedal couple times and it eventually goes in. I can hear a slight noise coming from down the passenger footwell when it becomes difficult to get in the gears. I have to put so much pressure down on the clutch pedal so it's nearly through the floor and the biting point is very low. It's fine if driving not in traffic. Sometimes when trying to park in a gap it's hard to select first and reverse.. I'm thinking clutch and flywheel? Any ideas? I've only had it a month and now regretting buying it as it's done high mileage 150,000!!

Thanks guys help will be much appreciated!!

Most likely that you will have slight play in the mainshaft. Common problem on these.

Have a read of this guide...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6089802-02M-whining-decel-noises-aftermarket-clutch-disengagement-issues-mainshaft-axial-play

Basically, you need to pop the end cap off your gearbox and install a small shim beneath the circlip. This should take the play out and bring your bite back up again.

Oh and 150,000 can be nothing for these cars if they're treated nicely! ;)

Isn't resetting the linkages usually the first stop? But might as well do the guide above, I know it's on my to do list (i somethings find its easier to put it into second then first without releasing clutch to get it in)

Also would look into replacing the gear selector part,it's only 34quid and a half hour job(literally one nut). I ended up doing it after mine failed and couldn't believe the slack that was in it before the new part was fitted.