You B#s#a#d!

Feel for you mate. Had someone reverse into my car outside my work and leave damage just like that to my car. Looks like a flat bed truck reversed into mine with a sharp corner and nearly punched right through the metal between my filler cap and rear light. They just drove off and left it. I feel it's not worth trying to sort it as it will cost too much so I'm just going to have to live with it!

If tomorrow some 'Bounty Hunter' at the Insurance Broker that read this bothers to check previous posts of the OP the Underwriter might cancel the Insurance for 10 months back and return the Premium saying that they will be not be held responsible for any claims,

and no No Claims Discount was gained.

Not Fiction it does happen.

Was and is Driving Uninsured now,

But because the Insurer is responsible for 3RD party Claims against their Insured they can cancel now.

ok book me in im on my way!

crazy differances, from write off/ £800/ £70 

A half decent paintshop will want around £200 per panel just to paint it.

Bear in mind the insurance company will also replace the rear ¼ panel, so a days labour just to replace the panel.

Obviously a back street garage will just chuck a bit of filler in it and slap some paint on it for much less, but even so £70 wouldn’t come close to the labour and materials cost.

You could even nip down to Halfords buy the filler and an aerosol of paint and do it yourself for less than £30. 

• Like 2

A half decent paintshop will want around £200 per panel just to paint it.

Bear in mind the insurance company will also replace the rear ¼ panel, so a days labour just to replace the panel.

Obviously a back street garage will just chuck a bit of filler in it and slap some paint on it for much less, but even so £70 wouldn’t come close to the labour and materials cost.

You could even nip down to Halfords buy the filler and an aerosol of paint and do it yourself for less than £30.

Exactly what my insurance did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have much experience in this kind of problems, but IMHO, covering that bumps with filler is a pretty bad idea. Sooner or later it will crack due to vibrations, temp etc. There were some cheap DIY kits on ebay which allow you to remove that kind of dents (something looking like a soldering gun IIRC). Those were pretty cheap, under £10.

Later edit: there are DIY guides on youtube, so you might want to take a look before doing anything

Edited by Alexandru
  • Like 1

And let's get back on the topic of the OP driving around with undeclared mods and therefore no insurance.

Are you going to inform the insurance company, presumably not mentioning how long the mods have been on the car?

If you can't afford the insurance, don't do the mods. Simple!

+1 to the comment above. Some of the people on here just need to mind their own business. The op is aware he knows the consequences just let him deal with it.

I would get a quote from a dent repairer they are pretty good at getting big dents out you'll be surprised.

• Like 2

Somebody is pulling your plunger. 

Are these people visiting to quote because your car is off the road.

Put some rust inhibitor on if the metal is bare until you can drive it to a proper bodyshop and get it fixed for £150 and without loads of Filler.

This post is ridiculous.

Firstly, all the scaremongering about insurance. Technically they are correct, and I tend to agree with them ( mine is fully insured with the minor mods) but they have said their piece. Stop trying to hijack the guys post now, its kinda sad !

Second, about the damage, this is what the thread was about, and this stupidity about writing it off etc.
Doesn't look too bad mate, I had some damage on my door AND on a seperate occasion on my pillar. Check my galleries.

I repaired my door with a piece of rod and a kitchen sink plunger lol

The door was easy, with some care it popped out doing it myself by gaining access from the inner skin.

The A pillar less so, it used a kit ( luckily my old dad bought a kit from aldi or something), but thankfully I'd got his vast experience of the industry to call upon, which probably just made the job that much better than I could do (but I think you could do the similar, just the end result is that much better and time saved in the process)

The kits are cheap I think. Just a glue on stick like a glue gun (polyethylene?) you use to stick to the metal, then you can use that as the pry to pull the metal out, its all included in the kit.

Some element of care is worthwhile, its using opposing forces in the right place to put the metal out appropriately, you don't want to put more damage in than there was before for instance !

It does make quite a mess but you pull out far more than you'd want to fill with junk, so doing most of the work by putting the shape back and if you are lucky may mean next to no filler needed which is always good as the guy above said about it dropping out.

Then you might want to use abrasives of various degrees, to file it down and remove any glue etc, also may necessitate paint primer (acid etch if down to bare metal is good), this will fill out the smaller indentations so its nice and smooth, repeat with dry stages, then refile down, then when you have a nice key surface you can then paint on with your final can.

A can mix place might do a can with lacquer partly in it, the place that gave me one for my bike did this.

Hope that helps my personal experience of this anyway. It can be done with DIY and worth gaining experience to look after your own car long term and you get less hung up then on any knocks and prangs if you know how to repair !

The above would cost about £10 for glue kit, £5 acid primer, £5 finishing can and depends if you have other material already like abrasive and polishes. So £30 all in DIY isn't unrealistic and you will have cans with loads left over for your next job.

This was for my dented door ( the easier of the two jobs )

www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/325780-dented-door

The other job ( golf ball size dents in the pillar) were far more serious, and you can't tell now, sounds like yours may be somewhere between the 2 jobs I did in complexity hard to tell with a pic.

PIty you weren't closer, I'd definitely try and help with advice and guidance directly if I could.

But you can do it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Somebody is pulling your plunger. 

Are these people visiting to quote because your car is off the road.

Put some rust inhibitor on if the metal is bare until you can drive it to a proper bodyshop and get it fixed for £150 and without loads of Filler.

Yes, 2 visted and the rest replied to photos sent.. I have sent another 7 emails further afield tonight with photos too body shops and PDR

This was for my dented door ( the easier of the two jobs )

www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/325780-dented-door

The other job ( golf ball size dents in the pillar) were far more serious, and you can't tell now, sounds like yours may be somewhere between the 2 jobs I did in complexity hard to tell with a pic.

PIty you weren't closer, I'd definitely try and help with advice and guidance directly if I could.

But you can do it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Ive seen a kit like this on amazon, and watched a vid on youtube .. im not convinced it will work on my damage.