225/50R17 94W XL Winter Tyres

silver1011

I'm struggling to find any winter tyres in 225/50 R17 with the required 94W XL (Extra Load) needed for my 2011 MkII Superb.

Has anyone seen anything in this size / specs?

I've seen Michelin Alpins of a similar size in W. But why not V/H? They're also a size too big for a mk2 Superb

I would go for H rated, not planning on exceeding 130mph are you?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'll be honest, the only reason I was looking for W is because that it what Skoda fitted.

If dropping down a few speed ratings is OK then that is great!

The recommended size for the Superb is 225/45 but I'm going to try a 50 profile for the additional pothole resistance and to fill the arches a little better.

Discussed briefly here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373406-can-i-fit-22550-r17-tyres-to-my-superb/

Cheers Chris, £103 each fitted, not bad!

After far too much time looking at tyres all I can see is black rings!

I think I've decided on the Nokian WR D4. A new tyre for 2015 to replace the very well respected W3.

Great fuel efficiency for my high mileage, a good chunky rim protector too.

225/50 R17 98V XL.

Best online price is £102 (fitted) so I'll see what my local tyre fitter can do over the phone tomorrow.

All sorted!

Found the Nokian's online via a company called Tyre Leader, they also ranged a version with an H speed rating (up to 130mph) which were the best part of a tenner cheaper. My trusty Superb can be a bit nippy when it wants to be but 130mph is definitely not going to happen unless I decide to reenact the Thelma and Louise film!

So 4x 225/50 R17 98H XL (reinforced) for £316.12 or £79.03 each inc. VAT.

Fitting was an extra £9 per tyre and get sent directly to a local fitter near me.

I'm happy with that, £88.03 each all in for what appears to be a cracking winter tyre, bring on the winter!

NT_product-image_WRD4.png?c=product_imag

• Like 1

All credit to Tyre Leader, three days from ordering to arriving at my chosen fitter and they came from Germany.

Not been in storage for ages either, they have a week 32, 2015 date on them (1st week of August).

Very much liking the extra profile, a nice chunky look and loads of pothole absorption hopefully.

Very pleased for £89 a corner fitted, bring on the winter!

IMG_20151010_121221_zpsomlzxjds.jpg

IMG_20151010_121634_zpssocd4zje.jpg

IMG_20151010_121528_zpsssruhxrw.jpg

IMG_20151010_121602_zpspx2dzydf.jpg

IMG_20151010_121623_zpsjwsdajb7.jpg

They are what I have just gone for (but 55 profile) however 1 has been lost in transit so currently waiting on its replacement, from my previous experience of Nokian’s I do not think we will be disappointed in them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All sorted!

Found the Nokian's online via a company called Tyre Leader, they also ranged a version with an H speed rating (up to 130mph) which were the best part of a tenner cheaper. My trusty Superb can be a bit nippy when it wants to be but 130mph is definitely not going to happen unless I decide to reenact the Thelma and Louise film!

So 4x 225/50 R17 98H XL (reinforced) for £316.12 or £79.03 each inc. VAT.

Fitting was an extra £9 per tyre and get sent directly to a local fitter near me.

I'm happy with that, £88.03 each all in for what appears to be a cracking winter tyre, bring on the winter!

NT_product-image_WRD4.png?c=product_imag

And they'll fit the Scout too if needed. :)

• Like 1