Angus might have a problem

Angus, the name my wife has given our MK2 Fabia Vrs, might have a problem. A couple of weeks back the car was making a slight grating sound coming from the o/s/f wheel area, not constant but every time the wheel rotated,  a check revealed that the sound might be coming from the Disc brakes, which had some age related pitting and grooving, as well as a lip on the edge of the disc.

So we changed the Discs and pads.

Noise is still there, and now doing our heads in. I'm led to believe that sometimes a bit of rust from the edge of the disc can fall into the pads area causing the noise, but surely the change and cleaning of the entire area would have removed any such debris?

So I jacked the car up yesterday, and spun the wheel manually to see if I could find out where the noise was coming from. The noise isn't there when the weight is lifted from the ground, but when grounded and moving again the noise reappears. It does sound as if something is catching on rotation when driving.

The only other thing I've noticed is that occasionally the wheel on that side feels as if it has slightly wobbled when driving along, almost akin to finding a tram line but only for a second or two. It doesn't seem to be pulling to either side when driving, at least not yet.

Suspension related? Balljoint? Bearing?

Its due in for it's 4 year service shortly, and to get a new set of tyres fitted, and I would like to address whatever this problem is before it goes in. I've checked the o/s/f tyre for lumps etc but it seems fine.

Any advice welcomed.

ps. Toyo tyres proved very good in the dry weather, stuck like glue. However whenever it got wet, oh dear it was an entirely different story, hence they are getting chopped before winter comes along.

The Wheel bearing will be the suspect and then the CV. 

Thanks George, I was thinking I had this kind of thing a few years back with a Ford Probe I owned but I was damned if I could remember what it turned out to be, it seems to be when the weight of the car is down it becomes a problem. I'll get Anne to take the car into our friendly mechanic guy to have him check it over.

There's no humming or buzzing noise from it which I've noticed in the past with wheel bearings. But I'll get it checked and come back to you all. Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Thanks George, I was thinking I had this kind of thing a few years back with a Ford Probe I owned but I was damned if I could remember what it turned out to be, it seems to be when the weight of the car is down it becomes a problem. I'll get Anne to take the car into our friendly mechanic guy to have him check it over.

There's no humming or buzzing noise from it which I've noticed in the past with wheel bearings. But I'll get it checked and come back to you all. Thanks.

Have you got an update for this problem, my car is making odd noise and interested in your findings!!

Best PM Sittingbull as not sure he gets to visit the forum much.

Not sure if he told me it was the bearing or if it was the CV. He had a replacement engine fitted by a rather hashy dealership.

I will send him a message to look at the forum.

• Like 2

I spoke to him on it.

In his cars case there was no issue and once the new pads and discs were run in the noise was gone that his good lady had been concerned about.

• Like 2

Ryan, and George,

Having listened to Ryan's video I can say that the noise we were getting (as per original post above) was very similar, but as you can see from that post we had just changed the discs and pads on front, and were looking to get new tyres fitted.

From memory (well what I really mean is I asked Anne) the noise is almost exactly the same as yours, we took the car back to the mechanic and he stripped the braking area completely, cleaned it out (there were micro samples of rust like metal found trapped), took it out for a spirited drive including many jumps on the brakes, adjusted the back plate slightly as he felt it sounded like something rubbing very slightly, and after that the tyres were changed. The noise disappeared and hasn't returned, with the new discs and pads now fully bedded in.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to George for alerting me. 

• Like 1