Front grill removal

I'm in the same boat. Got the black grill and surround last week. I've tried twice to try and get the original grill off but it's not budging. Clips are very tight and little access to the ones at the side of the grill. I don't want to break anything as I'd probably put the standard grill back on if selling the car in the future. I think I'll be taking the front bumper off for better access.

Not straightforward at all, especially compared to some of the other older grills. Not a bad price to get it fitted.Saves you all the hassle and cursing at the car.

I may still end up going down a similar route as yours.

Hi Baz. It's not as straightforward as it might be is it. A body shop next to my work have quoted me £45 to fit the new grill and surround, I think I will get them to do it!

Make sure it's a good body shop though - a lot of them will get the job done quickly and cheaply by not caring all that much if a few clips snap off or they take a chip or two out of the paint while they're working on it. Once it looks okay and doesn't fall apart immediately they know they're in a decent position to deny that their substandard work is to blame a few months later when it starts to come apart.

Edited by psycholist

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my new grill from superskoda today. Will be interesting to see if I can get the original off without breaking stuff... But I will wait for warmer weather since we have -15C at the moment...

I fitted a black grille and surround to my previous Mk2 pre FL and my current FL superb. Yes it's awkward as the grille is held in VERY securely but it's entirely possible.

It's a case of taking your time, being methodical and a little brave with the clips! they won't come out if you're gentle with them. 

The original grille is sitting in my shed with all clips intact. 

I would definitely recommend doing it when the plastic is nice and warm. 

A more extreme (but safer) method would be to take the bumper off and replace the grille that way. I had mine off for another reason, but I realised just how easy the grille change would be with the bumper removed from the car! 

post-6717-0-40674400-1452857923_thumb.jpg

How much work is it to remove the bumper? Are there rivets that need to be drilled out and stuff like that, or just bolts?

Mine is the FL but I would imagine the pre FL is similar:

Remove both fog lights, undo 2 torx bolts hidden behind (one each side), each foglight is held in place with 2 small black torx bolts, then the fog light pulls out,

Remove the black plastic slam panel that surrounds the bonnet latch,

Remove 2 large torx bolts at the top of each side of the grille,

Remove both wheel arch liners - all torx screws including the ones under the bumper where the liner is also a brake cooling duct. Both front wheels need to come off, I personally would stick each wheel back on temporarily once the arch liners are off, for safety.

Remove three plastic push rivet fixings under the bumper where the bumper connects to the engine under tray,

In each wheel arch, where the bumper connects to the wing, there is one plastic rivet fixing and 2 torx bolts to remove. If you stick the wheels back on, they will need to be turned to allow access to these fixings. 

Once all of these fixings are out, simply pull the bumper forwards to remove. Preferably have someone else helping at this point to minimise the risk of bending and breaking the bumper. 

In all honesty, with some basic tools it isn't too bad a job. It took me about an hour to remove the bumper on my own. The worst part is refitting the wheel arch liners. Make a note of exactly how they fit, and take pictures if necessary. 

I had a few torx fittings and a small ratchet for the bolts and a pair of side cutters and needle nose pliers to remove the plastic push rivets. 

Keep the screws and fittings grouped in a logical order so as not to mix them up and confuse things. 

• Like 1

Mine is the FL but I would imagine the pre FL is similar:

Remove both fog lights, undo 2 torx bolts hidden behind (one each side), each foglight is held in place with 2 small black torx bolts, then the fog light pulls out,

Remove the black plastic slam panel that surrounds the bonnet latch,

Remove 2 large torx bolts at the top of each side of the grille,

Remove both wheel arch liners - all torx screws including the ones under the bumper where the liner is also a brake cooling duct. Both front wheels need to come off, I personally would stick each wheel back on temporarily once the arch liners are off, for safety.

Remove three plastic push rivet fixings under the bumper where the bumper connects to the engine under tray,

In each wheel arch, where the bumper connects to the wing, there is one plastic rivet fixing and 2 torx bolts to remove. If you stick the wheels back on, they will need to be turned to allow access to these fixings. 

Once all of these fixings are out, simply pull the bumper forwards to remove. Preferably have someone else helping at this point to minimise the risk of bending and breaking the bumper. 

In all honesty, with some basic tools it isn't too bad a job. It took me about an hour to remove the bumper on my own. The worst part is refitting the wheel arch liners. Make a note of exactly how they fit, and take pictures if necessary. 

I had a few torx fittings and a small ratchet for the bolts and a pair of side cutters and needle nose pliers to remove the plastic push rivets. 

Keep the screws and fittings grouped in a logical order so as not to mix them up and confuse things. 

I've got the FL too. I sill see if I can get it off without removing the bumber, but thanks for the instructions in case I have to take the bumper off.

Replaced my grill now. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I just removed the plastic cover on top and then the two torx screws. After that I carefully worked it out, starting with the sides. I was surprised that there was so much space behind the grill, giving even my big hands lot of room to work. I estimate it took me 10-15 minutes in total, including mounting the new grill.