Please help me decide on 1.6 or 2.0 diesel

I currently run a 2013 Octavia 1.6 DSG SE and at some point in the near future I need to change it.

I've been offered a 2.0 DSG Elegance with a silly-low mileage (2k after 10 months) for a decent price and I'm seriously tempted.

I do about 30,000 miles a year, so smallish differences in mpg make a sizeable cash difference.

Do you think I'll see a significant drop in mpg going to the 2.0 diesel? I'd like the extra power, and I remember years ago when I had a Jag as a company car, the salesman explained that although the 2.5V6 was technically capable of better mpg, most people actually got better mpg from the 3.0V6 - you had to drive very sedately to get better mpg from the smaller engine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

To give you some frame of reference - I have a 63 plate 2.0 DSG Elegance (11K on the clock) and get ~42 mpg (I do mainly urban journeys and drive 'spiritedly'). The 2.0 is fairly quick, faster than my previous car (a 2.5T petrol V70) and on par with my C-class 220 CDI.

Hi,

you can have a look on average real life mpg from users registered on dedicated web sites like SpritMonitor.

What I found there was:

O3 1.6 TDI DSG 5.53 l/100km i.e. 51 mpg (averaged on 54 users)

O3 2.0 TDI DSG 6.08 l/100km i.e. 46 mpg (averaged on 39 users)

I wouldn't touch another1.6!

I had a 2litre Passat lease car at work and used to get 50mpg on the trips I did. The lease came to an end, I was close to retiring sombought my own car a SEAT Ibiza sport 1.6 105bhp diesel. I was extremely disappointed when I could only achieve 53mpg. The car was also forever doing DPF regens, I part ex'd the car after 18 months and got a Leon FR170 dsg. Consumption only dropping 3 mpg going back to 2.0

The 2.0 is alot quicker but not alot less economical (given the difference in performance). Elegance spec is nice too.

That said Id only do it if you are getting a really good deal...if you are having to sink much of your own money in to do the trade I personally wouldnt bother as its not that much better a car.

Please bear in mind that the quoted power, mpg etc will change after VAG do the recall & fix the software, if it is a Euro5 spec engine. So I would go for a 2.0lt instead of a 1.6lt...............

If it is a Euro6 spec then no need to worry.......still go for a 2lt as POWER...............

Please bear in mind that the quoted power, mpg etc will change after VAG do the recall & fix the software, as I presume it is a Euro5 spec engine. So I would go for a 2.0lt instead of a 1.6lt...............

The O3 doesnt have the engine affected by the recall...that is the 1st gen EA189 CR as fitted to the O2 and others of that generation.

The EU5+ EA288 is fine and cant see it being affected.

The 2.0 is a thirstier engine and also has the 6 speed DSG which uses more fuel compared to the 7 speed in the 1.6.

If you're happy with your 1.6 then I'd stick with that as with your mileages you could end up spending a fair bit more on fuel.

Phil

• Like 2

The 2.0 is a thirstier engine and also has the 6 speed DSG which uses more fuel compared to the 7 speed in the 1.6.

If you're happy with your 1.6 then I'd stick with that as with your mileages you could end up spending a fair bit more on fuel.

Phil

Id go with this view - only exception would be if you ran fully loaded the majority of the time... personally, i'm not convinced the smaller capacity blocks and blowers produce more efficient results than the bigger capacity units under these circumstances. 

The O3 doesnt have the engine affected by the recall...that is the 1st gen EA189 CR as fitted to the O2 and others of that generation.

The EU5+ EA288 is fine and cant see it being affected.

You have not seen this thread here then?:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373557-problem-with-new-car-order/#entry4401036

Brand new MK3 Octavia & supposed to be Euro 5+..................except that Euro 5+ does not exist & even Skoda UK can not guarantee what it is..................

Like I say double check the engine spec as VAG were using Euro5 engines & misleading by the looks of it.................

Neither cars are fast or quick. They are diesels after all with no more than 150bhp (approx). The 2.0 will cost more to buy? It coupled with a dsg will return roughly 40mpg in the real world as someone has already quoted.

I would suggest for more economy go for a 1.6 manual but if the car gets fully loaded frequently you will notice it.

That's just my opinion. The 2.0 drives well enough though with the dsg I feel it needs another gear when cruising on motorways.

Id go with this view - only exception would be if you ran fully loaded the majority of the time... personally, i'm not convinced the smaller capacity blocks and blowers produce more efficient results than the bigger capacity units under these circumstances. 

Yes. That's true. I've experienced this myself.

Our car would usually get at least 50mpg on a long motorway run even loaded up with 4 adults.

We then had an Ibiza 1.6 CR105 Manual (much lighter, more economical engine and a manual gearbox). Did a run with 4 adults in the car and even the trip computer was only showing 45mpg so after accounting for the inaccuracy that's pretty abysmal.

• Like 1

Point being is that the EA288 isnt affected at all....all O3's EU5 or 6 are EA288. Those suggesting otherwise (the tabloid press in the main as they dont really understand it) are scaremongering.

If the EA288 were affected VW UK would have announced by now and those vehicles would have been recalled too.....to delay would just cause further reputational damage so they wont have delayed.

As to the other thread.....the car has to be a pre week 22/2015 build surely.....all cars built from week 22 are to come with EU6 motors.

Car might be new but could it noy be an MY15.5?

Phil

Unfortunately, while this is true at homologation tests (DSG7 even gets better results than a manual), that does not seem to be confirmed in real life...

Point being is that the EA288 isnt affected at all....all O3's EU5 or 6 are EA288. Those suggesting otherwise (the tabloid press in the main as they dont really understand it) are scaremongering.

As to the other thread.....the car has to be a pre week 22/2015 build surely.....all cars built from week 22 are to come with EU6 motors.

Car might be new but could it noy be an MY15.5?

VAG only state that all Euro6 are not affected & has a recall on EA189 Euro5 engines.

The car in the thread is an odd one as it is Euro5+ (which does not exist) with supposedly an EA288 engine. The fact that Skoda UK can't even decide what it is means there are other odd cars done over the spec change & therefore anyone buying a car has to go by the build dates & not the first registration dates for the actual spec of the car................

OP just says 2k mileage after 10months, when was it built?.................it could have one of these odd spec engines like in the thread above.

Just trying to warn others until this mess gets sorted that's all................not scaremongering, just practical..............

VAG only state that all Euro6 are not affected & has a recall on EA189 Euro5 engines.

The car in the thread is an odd one as it is Euro5+ (which does not exist) with supposedly an EA288 engine. The fact that Skoda UK can't even decide what it is means there are other odd cars done over the spec change & therefore anyone buying a car has to go by the build dates & not the first registration dates for the actual spec of the car................

OP just says 2k mileage after 10months, when was it built?.................it could have one of these odd spec engines like in the thread above.

Just trying to warn others until this mess gets sorted that's all................not scaremongering, just practical..............

Dont think Ive heard a case of any MQB based car being implicated as yet..though have seen someone with a Mk6 GTD confirming they were affected.

Agreed EU5+ seems a bit of an unknown....my 2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI is listed as EU5+.....I suspect what it means is that it well exceeds EU5, rather than being an agreed EU emissions standard in its own right....a bit confusing.

All EA288 motors with the exception of the 184 (which I believe was EU6 from launch) were EU5, only changing to EU6 late May this year. Still all O3's, Mk7 Golfs and other MQB based vehicles do not use EA189 motors.

....also lets remember the whole scandal related directly to the early NA EA189 based Clean Diesels without SCR (so the NA Golf and Jetta)....VW telling porkies that the car could meet NOx requirements without SCR....the truth of the matter is that it couldnt get anywhere near. God only knows why but rather than employing SCR on all clean diesels sold, VW made the choice not to bother and control it with software for the sake of passing emissions tests on the Golf, Jetta and other smaller vehicles sold in that market......I bet they are now reeling from that decision as the cost of implementing SCR on those vehicles would pale into insignificance compared to what they atand to get hammered for now....they'll also probably have to retrofit SCR to the affected NA cars too...how ironic!

I wager the recall in the UK and EU will amount to an ECU reflash with the same operating software, just ridding of the defeat device software whether its active or not.

Edited by pipsypreturns

I'm running the 2.0 TDi in L&K spec (DSG). It's only done 2500 miles, my rolling average is 48.7 mpg, and when I'm on a steady (80) motorway cruise, the readout easily shows 54-55mpg. Just recorded from the journey I do from West London to Birmingham on a regular basis. I think this will only get better as the miles roll on.

Others have mentioned it isn't fast, but it's absolutely quick enough on the motorway - and most of them are said to be pushing quite a bit above the quoted 150 bhp as standard. Coupled with the DSG box make it effortless in my opinion.

I've driven the 1.6 too on a test drive, and the difference in power (especially on the motorway) is like night and day!

The 2.0 is quite a quick car.

Because its a VAG economy vehicle, it does without the multilink rear axle....this does to some degree affect its roadholding but it makes the car significantly lighter as a result.

Going by the book figures even the estate manual weighs less than 1300kgs which is well impressive....my Mk7 GTD weighs just over 1400kgs.

So its not a rocketship....but 150hp (and a nice usable power spread) pulling around very little weight makes for something thats quicker than youd think it would be.

Pushed you have a car that can do 60 in low 8's and could probably top 140mph given a long enough stretch of road. Mine certainly seems quicker than the 170 CR Mk2 it replaced.

Not bad for a plain old family hatch/estate.

Id still only switch if the deal on the table was too good to be true....nice as a 2.0 Elegance is, its not worth a big financial outlay compared to a 1.6 SE to change in my book.

The 2.0 is quite a quick car.

Because its a VAG economy vehicle, it does without the multilink rear axle....this does to some degree affect its roadholding but it makes the car significantly lighter as a result.

Going by the book figures even the estate manual weighs less than 1300kgs which is well impressive....my Mk7 GTD weighs just over 1400kgs.

So its not a rocketship....but 150hp (and a nice usable power spread) pulling around very little weight makes for something thats quicker than youd think it would be.

Pushed you have a car that can do 60 in low 8's and could probably top 140mph given a long enough stretch of road. Mine certainly seems quicker than the 170 CR Mk2 it replaced.

Not bad for a plain old family hatch/estate.

Id still only switch if the deal on the table was too good to be true....nice as a 2.0 Elegance is, its not worth a big financial outlay compared to a 1.6 SE to change in my book.

I was really surprised just how nippy it was - I only got to drive a manual 150, and with DSG it seems even better! Didn't realise there was such a weight difference between the GTD and Octavia mind. Doesn't the vRS have the multi-link though?