Wierd firing when hot issue

Exactly that. I have an intermittent starting issue when hot where it'll stay on the crank longer, struggle to fire, splutter up to 1k rpm and settle after about a minute at the regular 800 ish rpm and be as happy as larry all day long until it decides, maybe the next crank maybe the next week, to do it again.

Rinse and repeat.

All new coilpacks, new intake gasket, new platinum spark plugs, new temp sensor, new thermostat, new battery, recent MAF recalibration and tested working well and it has a diet of shell fuelsave and the occasional treat of shell v+nitro

I noticed my carbon canister is ticking loudly from the plug on the top, is this normal?.

Mechanic suggests vapour settling in the injectors. Anyone had this issue and solved it?.

Roger that!. Going to order a new one and fit it anyway. I know for a fact that the sensors I haven't replaced are all factory. On approach to 100k miles it'd be wise to have it done anyway as it does seem similar. I'll probably get the mechanic to do it and get a scan done too.

Not checked for codes.. I don't want to upset her. She's narky.

What did it cost you to buy?.

Edited by shivadow

Ok, thanks for the confirmation yellowcar, i appreciate that a lot.

New camshaft position sensor and although the engine seems to run, stop and start stronger than ever before the issue still persists.

She still doesn't like to fire when hot and tends to hunt a bit for a few seconds and then settles nicely. Stop and start causes hesitation to fire. It has done it once when cold too before the camshaft sensor was changed (actually on the morning it went in) so it isn't heat or fuel vapour related.

It was well worth changing the camshaft position sensor as it HAS made a difference but it hasn't solved the problem.. Any more ideas?.

I believe, don't quote me, its and arz engine and doesn't have said ignition heatsink as far as i know. There is definitely nothing except the maf, big pipe and rubber bush leading to the inner wing.

I highly doubt the cts is faulty as the last vcds scan didn't highlight it. That was about 2 weeks ago.

I honestly think this is electrical or vacuum related. It going to a mechanic in the morning.

Edited by shivadow

You can't miss it if it has this igniton module, it's literally on the airbox lid on the back facing towards the windscreen, it has a 5pin plug one side and a 4 pin plug the other side, it's basically an output stage to convert the TTL output from he ecu into a signal that is suitable for the igniton coils, I think it's only the 150bhp engines that have them I believe. It was fairly common for folk who had ripped their airbox out and fitted a cone filter they would leave this module dangling in mid air in the engine bay and they would burn out from lack of cooling.

I'll take another look at the back of the airbox when i get home and report back,in about 2 hours. I have the original airbox. Everything is as was from factory. No mods, just old and decrepit parts that are failing at random.

Right now there's no CEL, runs smooth, won't die and is hunting through the revs up to 2k and back to 600. Then it'll settle at 1k but if you rev it it goes back to hunting then settle at 1k again.

Disconnected the maf and the engine died.

Edited by shivadow

But then the problem would be there all the time and i wouldnt have run it out on a motorway if knowing theres a fault.

Update. Car starts but needs convincing and runs without misfires. Will not rev over 1k. Stuck in limp mode. Attempting to touch the accelerator results in said hunting up to 2k then back to 1k where it sits happy as larry until you touch the accelerator which wont respond but causes hunting.

This car is a d**khead. Just like every other skoda I've driven. Even the hire cars I've had have had issues and they are brand new. Just a crap brand i suppose..

Edited by shivadow

See if you can find somebody nearby with vcds, sounds like a throttle body adaption problem.

the mechanic said something about the throttle body.. Coincidence? I said to him to just get a scrap one, clean it and fit it if it comes to the crunch..

Thankyou very much for the input!. At first i thought you were throwing me a random curve ball but i think you may be onto something.. Its off to someone with vcds this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Could you please possibly explain a bit on how you come to that conclusion?.. I'm very interested!.. Maybe the jigsaw puzzle finally has its last piece..

Edited by shivadow

The thottle body has more than just a butterfly plate, it has a variable resistor track for feeding load info back to the ecu, it has a stepper motor to set the idle speed, and a switch which engages when the throttle is shut which tells the ecu when the engine is idle..

A combination of things together can cause random faults, most likely thing is that it has been unplugged with either the ignition switched on or the engine running, sometimes this forces the ecu to forget the idle position and/or thd calibration for wide open etc. There is a well documented procedure for throttle adaption usinv vcds.

moreover, dont go spending any more money on random sensors before you've had it scanned, you could change every single one and this problem still might still exist.

Awesome, i like it. What are the chances of it being a faulty plug or socket on the throttle body which is causing it to "forget"?

It was running ok then borked out of the blue. I haven't touched anything or even opened the bonnet since i got it back but even then it wasn't 100%. I could just tell it wasn't from the moment i started it at the garage.