Car temper

I do tend to think that temper is a characteristic of a human, not a machine. However, now I change my mind and assume that car has temper too. The reason I'm saying this is because my car, Skoda Superb II sometimes acts as a human whom I take to make a comparison in this case is...my wife! Some days, it works very smoothly. I can see that it's obeying me in every action. Its smoothness can be felt from changing the gear on the gearstick, turning the steering wheel or even as simple as opening the door. Everything is light, easy to operate and smooth. The car also consumes less gasoline and makes less noise than usual. 

For some other days, for example, when weather is hot, the car doesn't feel easy and it starts to behave accordingly. The steering wheel gets stiffer and it's hard to turn with one hand, the gearstick is not smooth, changing gear is bumpy, the car is noisy and consuming lots of petrol. I usually call my car the "second wife" and surprisingly it behaves in a similar way to my real wife: it's temperamental when the weather is bad and happy otherwise. Sometimes I love it a lot but some other time I just want to throw it away.

So, others Skoda car owners out there, how do you think about this and what can be a reasonable explanation for the changing smoothness of the car? Does it really have temper as human do?

• Like 2

Mine is usually a bit grumbly in the cold - engine seems slightly louder and the clutch is a bit snatchier and gear shift is stiffer. It all goes away once the car is even slightly warm. Also the more twisty the road and the more I push on the better it gets. I had a pressure sensor on the DPF malfunction a few weeks ago which lead to the car trying to regen with extra fuel rather than the passive regen, which is all that's been needed before that.

This did make the car run a bit rougher, though power was still good. If your engine idle is around 900 rpm rather than 750 rpm while these issues are occurring, this might be the issue as I got no warning light for this at all. The only symptoms were the high idle speed and cooling fans running sometimes after the car was stopped.

I agree, I do find that the weather has a huge impact on the way the car behaves and feels, especially how the clutch and steering feels.  I do believe some of this can be down to the mood you're in yourself as well though on a given day.  When things are going and well and you feel relaxed etc then everything seems to work much better - or is that just me ?!!.  I love the comparison between the car and the wife, very true :)

When I started messing about with LED bulbs in my car it got grumpy, flashing up bulb out warnings, so I replaced them all back to normal and for the following couple of weeks it told me random bulbs were still blown (even though they weren't). I put this down to the fact that the car didn't like being touched there.

• Like 1

I agree, I do find that the weather has a huge impact on the way the car behaves and feels, especially how the clutch and steering feels.  I do believe some of this can be down to the mood you're in yourself as well though on a given day.  When things are going and well and you feel relaxed etc then everything seems to work much better - or is that just me ?!!.  I love the comparison between the car and the wife, very true :)

My car changes its mood even between starts on the same day and I couldn't figure out what can be wrong technically with it  :no:

• Like 1

Mine is usually a bit grumbly in the cold - engine seems slightly louder and the clutch is a bit snatchier and gear shift is stiffer. It all goes away once the car is even slightly warm. Also the more twisty the road and the more I push on the better it gets. I had a pressure sensor on the DPF malfunction a few weeks ago which lead to the car trying to regen with extra fuel rather than the passive regen, which is all that's been needed before that.

This did make the car run a bit rougher, though power was still good. If your engine idle is around 900 rpm rather than 750 rpm while these issues are occurring, this might be the issue as I got no warning light for this at all. The only symptoms were the high idle speed and cooling fans running sometimes after the car was stopped.

Apologies for going off topic slightly - psycholist - how did you diagnose DPF pressure sensor - just increased idle speed and running fans, or did diagnostics report a fault?

Thanks.

VCDS reported a fault, but the way the sensor failed it was mostly giving output that made sense (For a blocked DPF). The fault flagged was that every so often it would give completely implausible readings, but no warning light on the dashboard. I had the DPF light come on once after a couple of weeks of high idle and cooling fan run on, but that disappeared when I started the car again (It had been booked into the garage at that stage anyway). The garage confirmed the DPF was fine when they were testing and replacing the sensor.

All the symptoms have gone since the sensor was replaced too.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

VCDS reported a fault, but the way the sensor failed it was mostly giving output that made sense (For a blocked DPF). The fault flagged was that every so often it would give completely implausible readings, but no warning light on the dashboard. I had the DPF light come on once after a couple of weeks of high idle and cooling fan run on, but that disappeared when I started the car again (It had been booked into the garage at that stage anyway). The garage confirmed the DPF was fine when they were testing and replacing the sensor.

All the symptoms have gone since the sensor was replaced too.

Thanks - useful info!

I do tend to think that temper is a characteristic of a human, not a machine. However, now I change my mind and assume that car has temper too. The reason I'm saying this is because my car, Skoda Superb II sometimes acts as a human whom I take to make a comparison in this case is...my wife! Some days, it works very smoothly. I can see that it's obeying me in every action. Its smoothness can be felt from changing the gear on the gearstick, turning the steering wheel or even as simple as opening the door. Everything is light, easy to operate and smooth. The car also consumes less gasoline and makes less noise than usual. 

For some other days, for example, when weather is hot, the car doesn't feel easy and it starts to behave accordingly. The steering wheel gets stiffer and it's hard to turn with one hand, the gearstick is not smooth, changing gear is bumpy, the car is noisy and consuming lots of petrol. I usually call my car the "second wife" and surprisingly it behaves in a similar way to my real wife: it's temperamental when the weather is bad and happy otherwise. Sometimes I love it a lot but some other time I just want to throw it away.

So, others Skoda car owners out there, how do you think about this and what can be a reasonable explanation for the changing smoothness of the car? Does it really have temper as human do?

Does the car/satnav get grumpy if you miss an exit on the motorway - mine develops a rattle from somewhere around the passenger seat :devil:

I always find my cars seem quieter/smoother after I've cleaned and polished them, must be some sort of strange psychology.

• Like 2

I always find my cars seem quieter/smoother after I've cleaned and polished them, must be some sort of strange psychology.

Yes, agree with you there. It's psychological alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polish getting into the seams between trim panels can stop them creaking and rattling, so it may not be completely psychological either.