54 pin female ECU connector VAG 1-1355928-3

MacFadyin

I think CAN wires tend to be bi-colour wires, orange/black and orange/brown, that's working from memory on a Mk1 Fabia and 9N Polo.

If you're prepared to spend a little money (approx. £6 here), you could download the current-flow diagram appropriate to your car via erWin. That would give you a definite answer I think.

Yep, for those I've seen, you get pin numbers.

Here's a little snapshot of one for a Fabia that's 'feral' on the net:

CF%20snapshot.png

Once you've registered and created a login, you can browse around looking at what's available to download before you pay, this includes full 'car data' for your individual car (via VIN look-up), lots of workshop maintenance/repair info, wiring diagrams and educational material in the form of Self Study Programmes. With any sort of decent internet connection you can get really good value for your hour's access payment. 

As far as I can remember they are nearly always orange, with a brown or black tracer on vag stuff, it doesn't necessarily have to be picked up from the ecu harness plug, in fact I would strongly advise against it, you need balls like grapefruits to take one of those apart plus you need the correct terminal extraction tools to get them out without damaging them.

You could just get it at the diagnosis connector.