Aftermarket head unit, but retain parking sensors screen

Hey peeps,

I've just picked up an Octavia mk2 and love it!

Trouble is, I miss my Bluetooth aftermarket head unit with hands free from my previous car!

Ive seen the parrot units, but at £165 for the Bluetooth streaming version it's a complete rip off.

Can anyone recommend a head unit that will replace the OEM unit and still retain the rear parking sensor screen?

If it has a sub out jack too that would be perfect!!

Thanks,

Chris

I know that the Kenwood ones do it but they're expensive.

Most of the cheap Chinese Android ones do it too.

This one has some good feedback;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/371620-chinese-android-head-unit/

I personally went for an original Skoda Columbus then fitted a Polar FIS+ to enable PDC and climate display in the stereo.

Phil

• Like 1

I've just fitted a DNS 810 in my octy vrs,

Bought it from iceboxauto for £256...

http://www.iceboxauto.com/vw-golf-passat-eos-jetta-polo-dns810

Very happy with it, there are a couple of very minor issues with it but they are not showstoppers...

I have no am reception, but am awaiting delivery of a double fakra adapter which will hopefully solve that problem...

And there is a conflict when running igo primo and listening to music via SD or USB whereby the music will not go to next track unless you exit the live running map at that particular time lol...but that is a simple cure as I can listen to music via CD or mp3 player via aux in or try to get Sygic running !

Apart from that, I am very happy...

Some hate the Chinese rip offs, some don't...

They have come a long way in the last couple of years quality wise...

£256 for the functionally and more of a Columbus vs £400+ for a Columbus...

You pays your money, you make your choices !

Edited by studmuffin

I had a Kenwood DNX521DAB unit in my mk2 vRS, it was very good albeit a bit slow on boot up but as said very expensive.

Worth keeping an eye out for one or look at the Chinese copies not sure if the Chinese unit will offer full integration into the cars canbus or whatever to give you the Parking and air-conditioning screens, as the Kenwood did.

ANS or DNS810 from iceboxauto, ive run the ANS810 for 2 years and its still great value for money...

Sorry to hijack thread, but what sat nav program are you using ?

Are you just after Bluetooth and have a Stream Mp3 with Aux in?

About £40 will get you a Kinivo BTC450, some cable and a couple of fuses for a very discreet BT install with streaming.

I've been using it about 3 months now and its ideal.

I have an As-620 from icebox auto and I'm running iGO Primo from a micro-SD card. It runs perfectly and there are no software issues.  The AS-620 is purpose-made to fit into the Octy II instead of the Bolero without trim changes.  Functionally it's virtually identical to the ANS-810 Dread has.

The WinCE-based devices might work well in their own right, but the pure Android devices are much more versatile, with the myriad of available Android apps.

There are much more satnav apps for Android than for WinCE

I use an app all the time which shows where the mobile speed cameras are placed, based on drivers reporting them as they see them, and that alone makes WinCE a no-go.

• Like 1

The WinCE-based devices might work well in their own right, but the pure Android devices are much more versatile, with the myriad of available Android apps.

I use an app all the time which shows where the mobile speed cameras are placed, based on drivers reporting them as they see them, and that alone makes WinCE a no-go.

Which app?

I wouldn't worry about the losing the parking screen as you will still be able to hear the sensors as they change in tone when you get really close up to an object

So even if you change the head unit, the sensors still work?  Is there anything you need to be careful about when doing this, so as to retain at least this functionality?

Thanks for the replies all. :)

The kenwood looks ace, but I doubt the missus will let me stretch to paying out that much, sadly!

I'm not really fussed about the satnav, as I've always used google maps on my phone and found this to be more than sufficient.  Its really just streaming BT, with handsfree phone connection, CD player and (preferably) an RCA sub output.  If it has a steering wheel control too, that would be great (although how do these fit to the vehicle if they're not factory standard?)

Any other options out there?

Edited by Cwillson

Which app?

Don't laugh fart means speed in Danish, it's called Fartkontrol.nu and comes as both Android and Iphone apps as well as a web version.

It is based in Denmark, but uses Google maps, so there's no reson why it shouldn't work in UK, if enough UK drivers start to use it and report mobile speed traps.

It's free, so try it out and see if you can report a speed trap on a road you're driving down.

Edited by Tranberg

So even if you change the head unit, the sensors still work? Is there anything you need to be careful about when doing this, so as to retain at least this functionality?

the sensors and beeps are independent from the unit so they still work without the unit. Cheapest option is to get a cheap single din aftermarket unit with BT

So what's a good android model then?

The Newsmy Carpad  5261 has had good reports from the users

http://exclusivecarauto.com/android-radio-quadcore-carpad-wifi-newsmy-p-1017.html 400 Euro from Spain

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/4-4-2-kitkat-head-unit-newsmy-carpad-t2865525

I will make do with my old sluggish Kenwood with poor Garmin maps (they get worse every year, making routes via roads which has been closed for years and new motorway sections take years to get on the map)

400px-Newsmy_CarPad_NU5261S-H-H0.jpg

Edited by Tranberg

I've just fitted a DNS 810 in my octy vrs,

Bought it from iceboxauto for £256...

http://www.iceboxauto.com/vw-golf-passat-eos-jetta-polo-dns810

This link is for the VW model by the looks of things.  The only DNS I can find under "Skoda" is the DNS610.   Are there likely to be compatibility issues on my Octavia II?  (Also, I've seen folk referring to "pre-face-lift", but have there only been 2 face-lifts - from I to II to III?)

What's the difference between the 810 and 610?  Is it worth quibbling about?  Kinda sold on getting one of these units.  Do you need to pay to get the maps loaded on it?  I notice that it has a mirroring feature.  Does this mean I can simply mirror the screen on my Android device running Google Maps?

This link is for the VW model by the looks of things. The only DNS I can find under "Skoda" is the DNS610. Are there likely to be compatibility issues on my Octavia II? (Also, I've seen folk referring to "pre-face-lift", but have there only been 2 face-lifts - from I to II to III?)

What's the difference between the 810 and 610? Is it worth quibbling about? Kinda sold on getting one of these units. Do you need to pay to get the maps loaded on it? I notice that it has a mirroring feature. Does this mean I can simply mirror the screen on my Android device running Google Maps?

Yes that is the VW version, but as far as i know it is identical to the Skoda 810, its just that you cannot select the Skoda version on the icebox website...

As far as the maps go, mine came delivered with Igo 8...

And you can mirror from your phone onto the unit, but you need to buy a separate module that fits into the back of the unit.

Yes that is the VW version, but as far as i know it is identical to the Skoda 810, its just that you cannot select the Skoda version on the icebox website...

As far as the maps go, mine came delivered with Igo 8...

And you can mirror from your phone onto the unit, but you need to buy a separate module that fits into the back of the unit.

Cool, thanks mate.  I'll email iceboxauto and check with them first... :)

Don't laugh fart means speed in Danish, it's called Fartkontrol.nu and comes as both Android and Iphone apps as well as a web version.

It is based in Denmark, but uses Google maps, so there's no reson why it shouldn't work in UK, if enough UK drivers start to use it and report mobile speed traps.

It's free, so try it out and see if you can report a speed trap on a road you're driving down.

Cheers I'll check it out but sounds like it might not be that useful over here.

Edited by phil5556

You not considered putting a Bolero/Amundsen/Columbus in and the relevant OEM bluetooth module?

Not the cheapest option but the OEM functionality is v nice, integrates with maxidot if you have it (the high end computer in the dash binacle) and lots of help and resources on hand from the lovely people on here who have done just that...of which there are a good few.

Food for thought anyway.

• Like 1

You not considered putting a Bolero/Amundsen/Columbus in and the relevant OEM bluetooth module?

Not the cheapest option but the OEM functionality is v nice, integrates with maxidot if you have it (the high end computer in the dash binacle) and lots of help and resources on hand from the lovely people on here who have done just that...of which there are a good few.

Food for thought anyway.

Doesn't work out too cheap when you factor in the costs of head unit, Bluetooth module, fitting of said Bluetooth module and poss new can gateway due to potential battery drain issue.. 

Also most of these after market units now integrate with the CAN gateway giving you maxidot function, Bluetooth, rear parking, climate display, OBD diags, etc etc... all for a fraction of the price... ive had my ANS810 fitted for over 2 years now and whilst not always perfect (WINCE based) its more than enough and has all i need, and cost me less than half the cost of a Skoda unit... NO brainer really...

This link is for the VW model by the looks of things.  The only DNS I can find under "Skoda" is the DNS610.   Are there likely to be compatibility issues on my Octavia II?  (Also, I've seen folk referring to "pre-face-lift", but have there only been 2 face-lifts - from I to II to III?)

What's the difference between the 810 and 610?  Is it worth quibbling about?  Kinda sold on getting one of these units.  Do you need to pay to get the maps loaded on it?  I notice that it has a mirroring feature.  Does this mean I can simply mirror the screen on my Android device running Google Maps?

I'm maybe not understanding you correctly but pre-facelift and facelift (or pre-FL and FL as they're usually abbreviated to) refer specifically to Octavia mk 2's, the pre-FL cars were the original model up to around 2008-2009 (ish?) and the FL cars were from there to the end of the mk2 run.  There were quite a few changes between the two but confusingly it was a gradual change so the first cars had only the new engines, then the new engines and new interior and finally the new engines, new interior and new exterior. Your 55 plate car is obviously a mk2 pre-FL.

John