Making my fabia faster

hi everyone, i have a fabia htp 1.2 2006 model, already changed the air induction kit to a cold air intake unit, and i have also installed an after market muffler, coilovers 16inch rims and wider & lower profile tyres.  Any ideas anyone about how i can increase the power output of the car? (I still use the car everyday therefore i need reliable mods)

Edited by poisonreality

Welcome to the forum.

People seem to forget their manners here!

What do you want to make it faster than?

ie

Is it faster as it is now than a Hire Car?

there's only 1 mk1 vrs in malta and someone smashed the backside of that so only option is importing one which will rocket licence prices, removing access weight is out of the question since i still use it as an everyday car, and all i want is maybe just a few engine tweaks that might improve performance slightly.  Not expecting too much out of a 1.2 dw :)

• Like 1

Engine tweaks are not cheap sadly, and further more you need to keep it reliable if it's a daily car, you could throw loads of money at it but the overriding fact is the lungs on it are only 1200cc, practically the best option to Increase the power to anything noticeable would be turbocharging, but this us fraught with difficulties and would empty your wallet a lot faster than going out and buying something with a bigger engine to start with.

I don't want to stifle your enthusiasm, but I hate seeing people waste money on things that make no difference or even make the car worse.

• Like 2

money's not the problem, i just like the car and was wondering if i could mod it in any sort of way to make it better. turbo charging is out of the question though cause as you said it would be more sensible to buy a faster car altogether.  thanks though :)

Larger throttle body yes. Gains are possible here, you could even have your existing throttle body machined out, but then you would need to find a bigger butterfly valve too, sounds expensive to me.

Spark plugs, the bottom line is this, you either have a spark or you don't, fitting a different type of spark plug doesn't make the spark have a higher voltage.

Fuel injectors, oem injectors will always have reserve capacity, in fact you could probably double the output of that engine before you needed bigger injectors.

12 valve

quick update, talked to someone and he suggested more efficient sparkplugs, fuel injectors and a larger throttle body.....any thoughts?

I'd say yes to all the above & run on the best fuel & use Mobil 1 oil & do an engine flush every service.

Basically you want to reduce the friction in the engine so your power loses are minimised & you also create less heat & less stress. So engine flush & best oils, & change oil filters etc regularly.

You also want the engine to be able to ignite the fuel/air mixture easily even at high RPM, & reliably so this requires better ignition leads too, & better spark plugs.

I ran on my 1.4 16v AUB engine Fabia NGK iridium spark plugs, Magnecor leads, Mobil 1 engine oil, Millers motorsport gearbox oil, Shell Nitro 98ron petrol, Green Cotton custom built CAI, Remus back box.................made it hit the rev limiter quicker, pulled better than a standard spec version & never had any problems with the engine...........

I ran on my 1.4 16v AUB engine Fabia NGK iridium spark plugs.......

Are you trying to say that iridium is a better conductor than copper? As far as I can tell from experience the only advantage of platinum or iridium tipped plugs is that they last longer than standard copper ones, but they do have a major disadvantage in that they are very expensive. Ideal if they are in a hard to reach location, but being sold as a 'high performance' horsepower raiser is just another marketing gimmick to lever money out of boy racers.

• Like 2

Fancy ignition/HT leads would definitely not help this engine.

Being certain that the cat isn't at all clogged up would be worthwhile, but just replacing it with an aftermarket part might not be the best strategy, and god only knows what a new genuine one would cost.

I seem to recall that folding your rear seats flat increases the power to weight ratio ;)

Learnded dat in relashun to a clio, but it must apply to a fabia too?

Lolz..

Are you trying to say that iridium is a better conductor than copper?  but being sold as a 'high performance' horsepower raiser is just another marketing gimmick to lever money out of boy racers.

I am not having another argument with you, we covered this subject of tuning nat' asp engines years ago before you became a "mod" & you know my reasons for the mods I suggest & other people took my view above yours & a couple of other "trolls" on the threads...............& on one thread some else pointed out that you have "Bodged not Bought" in your profile, & was not clever for someone who professes to an expert & better than everyone else on the small VAG engines. 

I have owned & tuned VAG engines since 1994 & had owned my 1.4 Fabia for 14yrs, so I know nothing...........................

To the OP do what you want, plenty of info out there on the web other than here.....................

Don't even kitten bother tuning a 1.2 3 cyl. If you do anything drop a 1.8T in, you'll spend less money doing so than tuning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

& where do you stop with the tuning of the 1.8T?.................you know how much you can get out of those!!!

• Like 1

& where do you stop with the tuning of the 1.8T?.................you know how much you can get out of those!!!

Yes but relative gains. Even just dropping the 1.8 lump in you'll double the max bhp you'd ever get from playing with a 1.2 htp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not having another argument with you, we covered this subject of tuning nat' asp engines years ago before you became a "mod" & you know my reasons for the mods I suggest & other people took my view above yours & a couple of other "trolls" on the threads...............& on one thread some else pointed out that you have "Bodged not Bought" in your profile, & was not clever for someone who professes to an expert & better than everyone else on the small VAG engines. 

I have owned & tuned VAG engines since 1994 & had owned my 1.4 Fabia for 14yrs, so I know nothing...........................

To the OP do what you want, plenty of info out there on the web other than here.....................

My title 'bodged not bought' has no relevence in this. I assure you I've fiddled, fettled, fixed, and ****ed up a few too I might add of the small vag engines in my time, I've bored them, stroked them, turbo'd, throttle bodied, cammed, blueprinted, ported, you name it. There is an underlying fact that some modifications are not worth it based on practical experience, not what I have read from the Internet.

This is when is customary for you to proffer the dyno proof to dispel this argument, let's see the actual gains you achieved then we can put this to bed for good, this is purely conjecture otherwise..

I'm not saying iridium plugs are bad here, far from it, I fitted a set (nearly £40 they were.. Strewth) to my beetle the other day, as a long life fit once and forget service repair, they were an almighty ball ache to get to on the azl (as you may or may not know?) engine code so well worth it.