Bought a 2005 superb elegance today but....

Not if you are able to do the work yourself if it is the "problem". If you do not have those abilities then ......

But please read the various posts and first of all lift your carpets as soon as you can to verify.

Good luck.

Research some threads as there several on the subject and you do not have to be mechanically minded to do the work just methodical.

I could not tell you costs as kind was done under warranty just before its third birthday.

Edited by Danny 57

On further inspection I've put my hands right under the carpet drivers and passengers side this morning and cannot feel any moisture. The car has been sat for 4 (relatively dry) weeks. Prior to this im ensured it was kept garaged. I am still going to fix the pollen filter. But what is the likelihood the steaming up is due to it just being sat outside and undriven and the back door lock not working is just down to it being 10 years old?

Locks do fail on these.  Also, did you have the aircon on?  With the aircon off these cars will steam up quite well even if they are bone dry.

You still should follow the details in the sticky to make sure you won't have an issue in the future.

On further inspection I've put my hands right under the carpet drivers and passengers side this morning and cannot feel any moisture. The car has been sat for 4 (relatively dry) weeks. Prior to this im ensured it was kept garaged. I am still going to fix the pollen filter. But what is the likelihood the steaming up is due to it just being sat outside and undriven and the back door lock not working is just down to it being 10 years old?

The biggest issue is water in the footwell on the passenger side. That's where the convenience control unit is and the main wiring loom.

Well done. What did you purchase? You got any pics? :)

So where did you get your hand under the carpet? Was the car on the level? If not, if you park it slightly uphill, any water under the carpet will pool in the rear of the footwell. Then, put your fingers in between the floor air vent and carpet under the passenger seat - be careful as its bloody sharp - and push your fingers down passed the carpet and sound deadening felt to the floor; if there's water in there, you'll feel it. Also, in my experience, if there is condensation on the inside of the Windows in the morning, that's a sign the carpet is damp. In any event yes, you simply MUST fix the pollen filter seal. Also, do you have all the handbooks / instructions / documents because you'll need the radio code when you remove the battery.

Does the back door lock pillar on the door move at all when you lock/unlock the doors? If so the solenoid is probably just "sticky". The NS rear door on our MKI had this problem. Locking/unlocking it 100 or so times sorted it out. Pushing it down manually, and then unlocking so it pops-up, and repeating this, also helps.

I bought a 2005 Skoda Superb Elegance Tdi 130pd. It isn't steamed up when we go to the car it streams up once the 4 of us are in there. It clears pretty much instantly once I put the fan on. I may attempt to get the battery out and do the pollen filter today. It's been dry here but the weather is changing and I need use of the car. I just hope I don't make a pigs ear of it. All electrics other than the back lock and reverse sensors work. I couldn't feel any moisture under the vent under the passenger seat. I hope I'm just being paranoid and its fine. Will try and post some pics later. Thanks for all help and advice thus far!

• 2 weeks later...

After thinking I had checked well on the way home the car steamed up. Now I've noticed one of the locks isn't working with the central locking.

I'm guessing I have the dreaded ingress.

Is this going to cost me a fortune to put right?

Please help.

Make sure the air recirculation button works - and is off - The servo on the climate control can fail, potentially with the recirculation flap in the wrong position which causes the car to steam up. My 2003 was like this when delivered to me 10 years ago but was fixed under warranty

How do I get the Big plastic cover that's over the battery and pollen filter off?? (Not the bit with the wipers poking through the Big bit)

I also cannot open gizmos blog or PDF getting error 404

Pull off the moulded rubber seal that holds down the front edge of the "big plastic cover", then lift the front edge of the cover and it can then be moved forward to separate from the cover that the wiper spindles go through.