Buying Advice

Greg

Hello all,

After some time away with a Seat Altea I have decided to come back to Skoda as I previously had a 2.0tdi Elegance. I've been looking for a 1.9tdi AWX either an A6 Avant or Superb and for certain reasons I think I've finally settled for another Superb. Anyway, I'm planning on viewing a Superb on Saturday but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts words of wisdom etc.

It's a Comfort with 78k miles, very recently had a cambelt and water pump, new clutch and flywheel. The price really suits and they are willing to give a good price on a part ex. However, the dealer has had the car for some time and not shifted it and he has also mentioned that the seats have some wear which has put the Mrs off a little (as she will be driving it mostly).

I will obviously check for water ingress etc. but I do think it suits the bill. It is a fair few miles from us so I don't want to have a wasted journey therefore, should I steer clear due to the clutch change and seats or can this be a common occurrence with the 1.9 Comfort?

Thanks

I personally would not be worried about the clutch change as it can be down to several things:

towing (if there is a tow bar fitted)

poor driving technique

Not sure about the seat wear though, when I sold my Comfort at 90K miles the seats were as new condition.

Personally I would want the car scanning to check the mileage is correct.

How much is the car up for and how old is it?

It's an 05 model and it's up for 3.2k, generally as it's been around for a while i'd imagine.  There seems to be a full history every 10k or so and the dealer seems quite open about it all and what they have done to it.  I suppose best thing would be seeing it in the flesh. I've asked them to send me some pics of the seats so I can make a call.  Maybe that last owners were a little more substantial??

Well it’s certainly not ‘cheap’, I would say it’s Elegance sort of money, don’t get me wrong the Comfort is pretty well specced but obviously it is lacking some of the extras found on the Elegance.

Not sure where in the country you are but my Edition 100 (which is based on the Elegance spec with other options on top) is in the classifieds

Compared to some of the other cars out there it comes in as one of the cheapest with that mileage and folding rear seats.  I've not bought a car for a bout 4 years and from what I can see they've all gone up in price somewhat.   

I've seen yours and it's a beauty but part ex is the way I need to go unfortunately, not enough cash at the moment. :(  

I would have thought 3.2k was well over the top. I had an 05 Mk 1 Supurb  Elegance Auto with all the bells and whistles including TV that  my brother in law knackered the gearbox. I sold it and a reconditioned gearbox was fitted. It was then sold for 2.5k . It was immaculate inside and out and had 98500 miles with full service history. I would suggest you have a good look around before you get your cheque book out 

The seats are a little bit of a concern, but it could be down to owners care. I bought mine at 39K miles with a little wear to the leather bolster, and a crease under the thigh. In 120,000 miles of me driving it hasn't changed since when I got it.