Actual Adblue usage

Obscuredavid

Thank you for the info! It's something I've been wondering about as a soon-to-be 150tdi owner. Having looked through the Audi forums the A3 owners seem to get around 6-7k per top up but they have a 17 litre tank! I must admit had I considered the (minor) inconvenience and extra cost of Adblue along with the fact it takes up some valuable boot space if you don't have the raised floor then I'd have probably opted for the 1.4 petrol. Diesel motoring seems to be becoming more and more of a hassle lately.

I've no knowledge of using Adblue, but I'll just add to this that most Shell filling stations sell Adblue and have done for years, it is just something that I've noticed - that is all, just in case price is different from that source.

Most larger petrol stations sell it in 10L containers as well as via the pump (for HGV’s) not much use for a Yeti but for cars with the adblue cap next to the fuel cap it’s ideal as it’s a lot cheaper to buy it via the pump (60p per litre is the cheapest I have seen it)

Whilst it is not impossible to refill the 10L container via the pump it is hard work as the nozzle ‘needs’ to be in the filler neck for the adblue to flow freely, otherwise it will keep cutting out.

Like Jimrod I would like to opt for the 1.4 petrol. It is a pity that it is only available with the L and K which is a bit expensive and not to everyone's taste interior-wise. As I said in another thread, Skoda UK should be offering the 1.4 petrol in SE and SEL trims as well.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info David.

My warning came on at 4950 miles,it's now on 5300 miles and giving a range left of 1300 miles.

I'll be refilling at about 6000 miles. Thats about 20%motorway,10%urban and 70% A&B road driving.

I'll contact my dealer next week (Lincoln.) and see what they quote for cost. :thumbup:

Definitely a stupid question...

What the heck is Adblue and What does it do?

Sounds like a right faff so will be looking a petrol in more detail for my third Yeti

Only about 7K, so I guess, from the figures quoted above, I would only have the faff once every 9 months or so.

A diesel probably not the best choice for the mileage I do, but I like the way they drive.

Torque is king :)

We'll see what takes my fancy next March when I order the new one

• Like 2

Hi, you guys. Along with my car experience ( love my Yeti ), I spent many years in Truck Rental.

Specifically when Adblue was first needed in the 7.5 tonne trucks I had on my fleet.

There was a lot of hot air and bluster from all sides of the truck industry but it's all calmed down once everyone got used to it. I assume 'adblue' cars will behave like the trucks when running out - that is they'll go into 'limp home ' mode.

Owners can't just ignore it but adblue is widely available at fuel stations, so it won't be a problem.

I assume 'adblue' cars will behave like the trucks when running out - that is they'll go into 'limp home ' mode.

Owners can't just ignore it but adblue is widely available at fuel stations, so it won't be a problem.

Not quite, if you ignore all the warnings that you are running low then once the adblue runs out the car will fail to start until you fill up with adblue again.

I also asked at a local garage if there would be any issues with a car using the the HGV adblue pumps, after I had explained that cars now use adblue they said it would be fine, i imagine it will only take a year or two before there are adblue pumps next to the car fuel pumps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our new model Yeti 2.0 TDI 150 4x4 started warning about Adblue after about 4200 miles, roughly 2/3 on motorways and the rest in town.

The first warning on the maxidot said 1500 miles remaining; the warning comes up with each ignition start and is counting down in 100s.

Slipped to our dealers and bought the Adblue -

1.8 litre bottle £6.73 and a 10 litre flagon £13.03 incl vat (which is comparable to Internet prices). The guy said I was their first customer for Adblue. The 10 litre flagon weighs around 22lbs so I didn't want any bigger - it would be too unwieldy.

The bottle has a screw connector for the Adblue tank on the boot and the manual says you need to add at least 4.5 litres once you get the warning.

As recommended on the Internet I followed the instructions in the manual for the first bottle-full (screw on, push down wait for filling to occur, pull up) then disconnected the bottle. The top of the bottle unscrews so I used the flagon via a jug to refill it. The last bottle stopped filling the tank automatically.

I found it difficult to avoid getting the stuff, slightly sticky, on my hands. It wasn't a big problem but I'd probably use gloves next time. No noticeable spillage in the car.

After filling I turned on the ignition for 30 seconds before starting the engine, as recommended. The Adblue warning seemed to disappear after about 10 seconds.

The tank is apparently 8.5 litre capacity. I don't know how much was in the tank in the first place at handover. All told it took about 6.5 litres to refill this time so there should have been about 2 litres left in it before the refill. The Adblue warning was down to 900 miles and the odometer is at 4800.

If my maths is right (feel free to check and correct me) -

If Adblue is used up at around 6.5 litres per 4800 miles = 1.35 litre per 1000 miles (manual says AdBlue consumption amounts to around 0.8 - 1.2 l / 1000 km) that's effectively adding about £1.76 cost to 1000 miles. If the car does about 40 mpg, that's about 8.8 miles per litre or 114 litres/1000 miles; at £1.11 a litre for diesel that's £126. 54, so the Adblue is costing about 1.4% on top of fuel costs.

David

I've just refilled mine at 6000 miles,with 500 miles to go on the range.

Exactly as David said above, in about 15 minutes.

No problems at all ,with no spllage.

Mine took about 7 litres.

The MDI was nagging me to death for about the last 100 miles,flashing an orange bottle symbol pouring out liquid.

It flashed on and off every 5 seconds.....Very distracting at night.

It also occasionally Chimed a warning and said the vehicle would not restart after the remaining  mileage .

( It was Also a good excuse to clean out the dog hairs under the boot floor. :) )

• 4 months later...

Second warning has just come on at 10600 miles with 1500 miles to go.

I'd forgotten all about Adblue.

Must check out now the cheapest refill bottle.

BP is £12 for 10 litres.

Just don't use the car plan stuff. The nox sensor must struggle with it and use more as I always get a lower range if I've used it.

A 1.8l bottle and a 10l plastic flagon .....

So do you need the adapter supplied with the bottle or is it just more convenient?

It sounds like there should be some sort of funnel with a screw on adapter.

What do the Skoda workshops use I wonder, it would hardly do to fill a customers

vehicle boot with adblue. Can you dip the level at all?

A 1.8l bottle and a 10l plastic flagon .....

So do you need the adapter supplied with the bottle or is it just more convenient?

It sounds like there should be some sort of funnel with a screw on adapter.

What do the Skoda workshops use I wonder, it would hardly do to fill a customers

vehicle boot with adblue. Can you dip the level at all?

Buy a bottle, cut the bottom off, use the 10L to fill, bottle will seal when full.

The 1.8 litre bottle has an anti spill valve to save spilling it in the boot when the tank is full.
The top unscrews so can be be filled from the larger container, I suspect that 10 minutes twice a year is all it would take.

The 1.8 litre bottle has an anti spill valve to save spilling it in the boot when the tank is full.

The top unscrews so can be be filled from the larger container, I suspect that 10 minutes twice a year is all it would take.

Just cut the bottom off. Makes life so much easier & quicker

Redex Adblue with the filler cap in asda £6 5lts

Works out the same price/litre as BP then