speaker upgrade - original fitment

plymvrs

hi everyone. my 2004 mk1 fabia 1.2 htp classic is in dire need of a speaker upgrade. it has the original ones in the doors, and the rears where the parcel shelf sits on are empty. i want to upgrade them to the same size but better quality, so they will just fit straight in. what size are the front door speakers?

what size are the ones that fit in the plastic trim bits the parcel shelf sits on?

will the wiring be under the carpet for the rears on the classic trim, or will i need new wiring?

need to upgrade bad!

help! 

:giggle:

Unless you have some requirement for surround sound, it's really not necessary to have anything other than the existing front door speakers. There is generally no extra wiring on VAG cars, you have to run everything.

You can fit almost any 165mm speaker in the front but the original ones have spacers so you need to buy a spacer kit for your speakers. I don't know if you have tweeter locations in the tops of the doors but they are usually good for replacement too.

I actually think the stock speakers are fine. They are made by/for Blaupunkt and if you put a decent head unit on then you can get decent sound out. But you'll never get epic bass, if that's what you're after, without a sub. Realistically, to get good sound, you need vibration deadening matting all over the car, a new head unit, an amplifier, sub and 3-way component speakers with crossovers. So more than the car cost basically.

• Like 1

Unless you have some requirement for surround sound, it's really not necessary to have anything other than the existing front door speakers. There is generally no extra wiring on VAG cars, you have to run everything.

You can fit almost any 165mm speaker in the front but the original ones have spacers so you need to buy a spacer kit for your speakers. I don't know if you have tweeter locations in the tops of the doors but they are usually good for replacement too.

I actually think the stock speakers are fine. They are made by/for Blaupunkt and if you put a decent head unit on then you can get decent sound out. But you'll never get epic bass, if that's what you're after, without a sub. Realistically, to get good sound, you need vibration deadening matting all over the car, a new head unit, an amplifier, sub and 3-way component speakers with crossovers. So more than the car cost basically.

yes i do have tweeters in the door tops. i find with the current speakers at a certain volume it distorts. and i have a 50w x 4 jvc KD-741BT stereo

yes i do have tweeters in the door tops. i find with the current speakers at a certain volume it distorts. and i have a 50w x 4 jvc KD-741BT stereo

Rear speakers will do SFA unless you want to put 6x9s in a new shelf. (Note: This isn't SQ best practice but reasonable for generating cabin filling sound on a budget.). Doing that will likely double the volume level in the car as you're only using 1/2 of your JVC at the moment. Unless you hide the 6x9s under a stealth shelf, they become something of a thief magnet.... Depending on where you live.

I don't know about the rear speaker wiring. Is the "speaker" outlet connector on the JVC fully populated?

Replacing the front speakers isn't a simple job as indicated above. It's not impossible and electrically, the wires you need are right there. Not something to enter in to on a whim or without preparation though.

J.

The distortion may not be just the speakers. It's quite possible that get the 50W per channel they promise on the box JVC put some crappy circuitry in the unit so it meets a number they can print on the box but sounds like poo when you turn it up properly loud.

And when you say 'at a certain volume' are we talking loud enough so you can hear it properly on the motorway or very, very, loud? Please bear in mind that I'm old :)

You almost certainly have no crossover in the system at the moment so all frequencies are being sent to all the speakers. i know you just want to replace some speakers but it probably won't help much if the door panels are vibrating and the mid/bass unit in the door is trying to play sub-bass or high frequencies it's not really capable of. To a certain extent a lot of these speakers have filters built in so they only play some bits but if you can stretch to something better then you can always take it with you when you get another car.

my mate who did some bits to my car today reckons the r/h tweeter aint working which is why the noise is distorted at a certain volume. but may still upgrade front doors to rubber cone instead of standard paper

Please tell me that I'm not the only one considering driving on the motorway with the all speakers blowing at high volume as being foolish. I'd say .. instead of loading your car with woofers and expensive speakers, go with sound deadener all around the doors and maybe under the carpet and boot. You'll notice one hell of a difference.

• Like 1

I'm going to upgrade my front speakers soon. I've purchased 30mm spacer rings from eBay (MDF). Probably going with Rockford Fosgate components as they do a set that are designed to run directly from HU power (an Alpine).

I've disconnected the rear door tweeters as they were giving me ear ache!

I'm going to upgrade my front speakers soon. I've purchased 30mm spacer rings from eBay (MDF). Probably going with Rockford Fosgate components as they do a set that are designed to run directly from HU power (an Alpine).

I've disconnected the rear door tweeters as they were giving me ear ache!

Which Rockford Fosgate components are you going for are they these? http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rockford-fosgate-p165-s

You will need to be mindful of how deep the speakers are the ones in the link are fine but anything deeper than 60mm means you will have clearance issues with the window regulator bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Which Rockford Fosgate components are you going for are they these? http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rockford-fosgate-p165-s

You will need to be mindful of how deep the speakers are the ones in the link are fine but anything deeper than 60mm means you will have clearance issues with the window regulator bar.

No, these ones

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rockford-fosgate-r165-s

I've read up on clearances etc so these should be fine.

Yeah they look like a decent set. I only say because I originally had a set of morel tempo 6's which had a mounting depth of 61mm, which made them sit right against the window regulator so much so that they ended up dying on me so I replaced them for a set of hertz shallow mount.