Help Me Love my Octavia Again - Central Locking & Elec Window Issues

Ladies & gents,

I bought the below pictured car recently. It was supposed to be quite a cheap way to get my vRS kicks and help keep the mileage down on my mk3. So far, that hasn't gone quite to plan and I've had a number of issues. I was hoping someone could help me with this as it is really putting me off using the car at the moment.

12066026_10156257259505145_8124559581333

See, when I bought the car it had working Remote Central Locking (RCL) and working Electric Windows (EW) but the driver's door had to be opened manually with the key. I looked into the problem on this here forum and read that the most common problem was the door microswitch. I amassed a good, second hand door latch assembly from YellowCar of this parish and changed it over. This was fraught with rounded bolts and escaping small bits of trim but eventually I got it all back together. Only now the RCL didn't work at all. Nor did the EWs, but the Central Locking (CL) still worked off the key. 

Hmm.... whilst in behind the doorcard I noticed that the wiring loom in the door had been cut and spliced back together in the past so I sourced a good driver's door loom from Devonputina. I fitted that (easier than I was expecting, but still not enjoyable, particularly in the rain), only to excitedly put it all back together and see that I now had no RCL, no EW and no CL. Bugger.

Looking at what to do next I have been advised that it could be the convenience module, located under the dashboard, or another control module which makes up part of the electric window motor. I've also read that it could just be that my key needs recoding to the car. I was hoping that someone here might have experienced something similar in the past and could advise where I should look next. 

It really is a pain of a problem, especially as we have a dog so I can't really use the car all that much and only for short journeys. 

Your help and advice is most appreciated. 

Thanks. 

If you need a dash convenience module I've got one you can have for free.  Just cover the postage?

I had some of these issues and chased them for ages.  It was water ingress in the driver's door that had got into the control unit.  This had in turn corroded a contact in the loom where it plugged into the unit.  I bought a whole door off ebay and stripped it for the loom.  A bit of swearing and a few hours later it all worked fine.

As I said, you can have the CIM as long as I can find it.

:thumbup:

Yeah, I'd be interested in that convenience module. I'm sort of the impression that if I change everything that controls the processes then eventually it'll start working?! 

I'll PM you when I get a moment. :) 

• Like 1

I had some of these issues and chased them for ages.  It was water ingress in the driver's door that had got into the control unit.  This had in turn corroded a contact in the loom where it plugged into the unit.

Unplug the wiring connector on the back of the winder unit and check the bottom pin in the middle row on both parts of the connector. This pin is the 12 Volt supply and the first to corode away with water ingress.

I pushed a pin into the hole left by the corroded away pin then re-plugged in the parts and hey presto, everything worked again.

I had similar issues and it was the connectors behind the trim next to the bonnet release. Water had run down the wires out of the door into the car. Fortunately I sorted it before any of the pins corroded.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you're still having issues, definitely worth trying that module for free. I'm thinking there may be an internal issue with the window motor unit, as Pikpilot says double check the connections, but if water got in their it won't necessarily be something you can see. Given the shape of the original loom this hints at some previous issues with water ingress and/or some meat mittens being used to work in the door, neither of which are particularly helpful.

I think they just unclip with those metal brackets that wrap around although I've never tried. I think someone here did manage to do it and got a module from a breakers yard...can't remember who though. If it's not an exact part number match you may need it coding in with vcds

It's amazing how satisfied you will feel when you crack this one.  The corroded pin that caused all my woes looked perfectly fine and when looking at the yellow resin/plastic they were all moulded into there wasn't a hint of water ingress.  I eventually paid a local auto electrician £50 to find it for me as I'd begun to lose the plot.  The central locking would be working itself three or four times a second whilst driving along - not nice at NSL or motorway speeds - and the interior lights would be strobing like a disco.  The money I paid that bloke was the best £50 I've ever spent.

The offer is still there for the dash module if you need it.

Thanks. It is really stopping me enjoying the car and of course, having removed the doorcard about 200 times in the last few weeks, a few screws have gone missing so the whole thing doesn't go together properly now. I'm just about fed up! 

Had exactly the same issues as you replaced everything finally got to the bottom of it. I'd changed the window control module for a second hand one but didn't realise there was another type of module so put original back it working first time. That was after replacing everything electrical in the door.

Had exactly the same issues as you replaced everything finally got to the bottom of it. I'd changed the window control module for a second hand one but didn't realise there was another type of module so put original back it working first time. That was after replacing everything electrical in the door.

As I understand it, if the modules don't match then the car will need recoding to the car? I'm not sure really, I'm just fumbling my way through it! 

As I understand it, if the modules don't match then the car will need recoding to the car? I'm not sure really, I'm just fumbling my way through it!

I'm pretty sure that the module needs to match the old or it won't talk to the CCM and other doors.

I'm pretty sure that the module needs to match the old or it won't talk to the CCM and other doors.

Indeedy not had to do it myself before but yes

Will the electric windows work without being coded, regardless of whether the modules are straight matches?

Any recommendations for who to take the car to for key coding - is it a main dealer job?

Will the electric windows work without being coded, regardless of whether the modules are straight matches?

Any recommendations for who to take the car to for key coding - is it a main dealer job?

Not too sure on which windows will work, having helped people before I do remember people saying they've fitted new (used) modules and only this or that window works or door locks, I'm afraid I can't remember which and they didn't come back with a resolution unfortunately.

I would say a dealer would be good, but costly. Anyone who is nifty with vag com should be able to do it, particularly those who tune they tend to have a very good working knowledge of it. Be worth having a ring around some places that offer diagnostics, ask if they have vag com and whether they would be able.

You could put a shout out on here, someone handy with it may be local to you. Hope you get it sorted.

I would think the drivers door window will work but you may not be able to operate the others from the drivers door.

For the key, just for the remote locking, anyone with VCDS should be able to do it.

Thanks gents, that is great information and reassuring that I am hopefully on the right path to getting it sorted.

Skinnyman has kindly donated a convenience module to the cause (thanks pal, really very kind; true Briskoda spirit), so I just need to get a new electric window motor module and I should be able to change out both parts and hopefully, just maybe, if I cross my fingers and do a special dance to the Skoda Circuitry Gods, I might, just maybe, have windows that open again. Or not. Time will tell. Best whip off the doorcard - again!

• Like 1