How to remove the front undertray

muddyboots

While I was changing my gearbox oil the other day, I took a few photos to do a quick guide on removing the undertray.

This guide shows the undertray on a 2011 CR170 4x4, but I imagine it will apply to other models too.

It's pretty easy once you've got the car lifted up safely.

Tools required:

- means of safely raising front of car

- T25 torx bit

- T45 torx bit

1) Raise the front of the car and support it safely. Either use ramps or a lift. or jack it up and use axle stands. Handbrake on firmly. Never ever work under a car that's just supported by a jack.

2) Remove the screws from the undertray, there are 11 in total. 

First remove the 4 screws along each side, these require a T25 Torx bit to undo. These aren't very tight, you could do this with a Torx-head screwdriver; I used a Torx bit in my cordless drill for speed.

Next remove the 3 screws along the rear edge, these require a T45 Torx bit. These are a bit tighter than the others.

As you remove the last screw, support the undertray (it's not very heavy) then slide it rearwards; the front edge will then disengage from the car and it will come free.

Put the screws somewhere safe.

Er, and that's it!

Some photos:

The undertray, showing (most of!) the screw locations. There are 11 in total, a couple are slightly out of shot to the right.

undertray_zpsn6iipowz.jpg

With undertray removed:

20151106_111526_zpsyx4p4nr4.jpg

The screws, and torx bit sizes required:

20151106_112003_zpscugxmpyt.jpg

• Like 1