Changing the gearbox oil

muddyboots

I changed my gearbox oil the other day, and took a few photos to show how it's done.

This guide is for my 2011 CR170 4x4, but should apply to other models as well.

Tools required:

- T25 torx bit (for undertray removal)

- T45 torx bit (for undertray removal)

- 10mm hex bit (for gearbox drain and fill plugs)

- some sort of syringe & tubing, to get oil into the filling hole.

- something to drain the old oil into

- gloves (I keep a box of disposable gloves for jobs like this)

- tissue/rag for wiping up oil dribbles/spills

You'll also need some replacement oil.

It seems that most people recommend using genuine VAG oil.

However, you need to check what part number is required - on this gearbox at least, the oil type changed for gearboxes manufactured after a certain date.

It's up to you to work this out, but you might find this post handy

I bought mine from TPS, it needs just short of 2.5 litres, so I needed 3 bottles. But again, check the quantity for your specific gearbox.

So, here's how to do it.

1) Lift the front of the car safely and remove the undertray.

2) Get something ready to drain the oil into, that has enough capacity for the amount you expect to drain. I used an old 5 litre screenwash can with a big hole cut in the side, and a paint tin to stand it on so it's a bit closer to the drain.

3) Using the 10mm hex bit, remove the fill plug, this is on the front face of the gearbox. You shouldn't get any oil spillage when you take this out.

The fill and drain plugs are highlighted in this photo:

gearbox_zpsxpoqyd7h.jpg

...and this is what I used to undo the plugs, a 10mm hex bit with 1/2" drive (plus a ratchet):

20151106_112249_zpspuhsor76.jpg

4) Position your drainage can underneath the drain plug. The closer to the gearbox, the less likely you are to spill oil...

5) Using the 10mm hex bit, slacken and remove the drain plug. The oil should now drain freely into your can, like this:

20151106_113015_zpsxbkxbvbc.jpg

6) Leave for a few minutes or until the trickle has finished.

7) Clean up drain plug with clean rag or tissue, then refit and tighten back up.

8) Locate your new oil:

20151106_113221_zpsoyl9lcwz.jpg

9) The genuine oil has a short plastic spout you pull up out of the bottle. Remove the cap, and push the spout into the gearbox fill hole.

There's not enough room to lift the bottle high enough to get it all in easily, so squeeze/squash the bottle to get as much out of the bottle this way. 

I managed to get around 500ml out of each bottle this way.

The rest I had to do with a syringe and some tubing - sucking out of the bottle, and squirting into the gearbox.

Keep filling until you've got the required amount in, and the oil flows back out the hole at the same rate you're putting it in.

There are probably better tools for the job, but this 100ml syringe and tubing costs around £7-8 and works fine:

20151106_114550_zpsjpywyfex.jpg

20151106_114648_zpsiabdfup8.jpg

10) Clean up the fill plug with some clean rag/tissue, and refit it tightly. Wipe any excess oil off the gearbox.

11) Refit the undertray.

And that's it!

• Like 2

Nice one. Gives me the confidence to do mine now.

Did you change any filters?

I've read there is one, but nothing conclusive.

There are no filters in the manual transmission.  

Are you thinking of the Haldex?

You did have the car level before you refilled the gearbox didn't you?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Some of the gearboxes need to be on an angle as the fill hole is lower than the full level.

There are no filters in the manual transmission.

Are you thinking of the Haldex?

Some of the gearboxes need to be on an angle as the fill hole is lower than the full level.

But you have to fill them through another point than the original fill point. Also you have to measure the amount of oil removed and replace with an equal volume of fresh fluid. You can't just lift up the front and guess.

Nice one. Gives me the confidence to do mine now.

Did you change any filters?

I've read there is one, but nothing conclusive.

You're thinking of the Haldex clutch, which does have a filter (I can see it) but it's hard to get to, not scheduled for replacement and not cheap, so I just changed the oil (at around 40k IIRC).

Not completely, no. I can't get under to do the filling if I drop the front back down.

On my old octavia (with a non angled gearbox) I drained it, refitted the drain plug, dropped the car down and ran a length of hosepipe (with a funnel on the top) in to the fill point from the top and filled it that way. I had a tray underneath to catch the overflow. Then I jacked it back up, fitted the fill plug and replaced the undertray.

If you have a non angled gearbox you have probably overfilled it. If it is an angled box then you have definitely overfilled it as the fill point is too high to start with.

Whether this will be a problem I don't know.

• Like 1