How do YOU drive in fog?

Ryeman

As soon as the vision becomes a problem with adverse weather I always slow down and put the rear fogs on for my safety and if the forward vision starts to become a problem I try the front fogs but to be honest if it's really foggy they don't appear to have much impact in thick fog so drive to the conditions that you can see.

Cannot remember the road I was on, which was unfamiliar to me but many, many years ago I got caught in very dense fog at night and just avoided hitting a wall on an unseen sharp 90 degree bend. Not experienced fog as bad since.

More recently I notice that even if you slow to a speed your comfortable with, then you always get some speed freak sat on your tail pipe try to hussle you along.

Oh the Volvo has effective collision warning radar, which so far has worked in fog, although I'm not daft enough to rely on it.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

How do I fit AWS on the Yeti ? :notme:

Hope your legs getting better mate ,been following your posts.

You don't need AWS, I'll lend you Mrs Goldfinger, far better system.  Legs getting better thank you, only at the Hospital 2 times a week now, not every day.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

Most people either don't know or have forgotten that fogs being low down are meant to light a path UNDER the fog when headlights just reflect back and dazzle the driver so really they should be used on their own in seriously thick fog!!!
I feel safer driving in fog following lights ahead if at a speed that feels safe for me, it's a lot less tiring and the one ahead tends to break up the fog a bit..

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 1

Do not travel unless I have to.

Allow longer for journey.

Drive slowly and within breaking distance.

Radio off and window down so I can hear what is going on.

Fog lights on.

Stick to familiar roads if possible.

Think twice at all junctions.

Pull over and stop if I have to.

The later I have done in heavy rain a couple of times, but I have never had to in fog. I have been lucky.

Colin

Try to avoid being first in the queue: 

If you're on you own, you provide the lighting. 

If you are following someone, they provide the light. 

If you lead, whatever lighting you choose for yourself, you will be partly dazzled by light from behind you. 

So help the guy in front, if there is one - drop back a bit. 

Edited by Brijo

Cannot remember the road I was on, which was unfamiliar to me but many, many years ago I got caught in very dense fog at night and just avoided hitting a wall on an unseen sharp 90 degree bend. Not experienced fog as bad since.

More recently I notice that even if you slow to a speed your comfortable with, then you always get some speed freak sat on your tail pipe try to hussle you along.

Oh the Volvo has effective collision warning radar, which so far has worked in fog, although I'm not daft enough to rely on it.

TP

So true. You always get somebody up your chuff.

So i let them past sometimes. One of 2 things happens.

1. They speed off. Random bursts of breaklights as the pull away and try to figure out which way the road goes.

2. They realise '****. It really is quite foggy'. In which case they go no faster than they were doing behind you anyway :D.

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

1. LIGHTS ON - Yes I know that's bold & caps but it's that important (for advanced users you may select fog lights if visibility is under 100m, and may choose to use full beam headlights for better penetration (oooh er missis) in daylight).

I find that full beam in low or high fog tends to result in the light reflecting back from the fog and reducing my visibility. 

• Like 1

Front fog lights are about as much use as a candle in fog. They are just a cosmetic accessory so people think they are more important than the person with the lower spec car.

Simple.

Well.... almost.

Front fogs are only ever any use when travelling at VERY low speed and in VERY thick fog - they are there to highlight the roads edge - nothing more. Ideally, they should be yellow as yellow penetrates through fog better (well red does even better but obviously not allowed on the front, yellow is the second best colour).

• Like 4

Front fog lights are about as much use as a candle in fog. They are just a cosmetic accessory so people think they are more important than the person with the lower spec car.

Simple.

Well.... almost.

Front fogs are only ever any use when travelling at VERY low speed and in VERY thick fog - they are there to highlight the roads edge - nothing more. Ideally, they should be yellow as yellow penetrates through fog better (well red does even better but obviously not allowed on the front, yellow is the second best colour).

So true. 

The biggest nightmare is dealing with the utter complete morons who will not put lights on because its not night and they can still see things around them, being so retardedly braindead they do not realise most of the lights on your car are so others can see you better. YES complete dickheads

• Like 3

The biggest nightmare is dealing with the utter complete morons who will not put lights on because its not night and they can still see things around them, being so retardedly braindead they do not realise most of the lights on your car are so others can see you better. YES complete dickheads

It seems to me, most of 'them' are also driving dark coloured cars and think lights are only for seeing potholes.......the concept of being seen apparently completely evades them.

Simple.

Well.... almost.

Which is what bugs me on all vag cars since forever. The fronts are always the first position on the switch, and the backs the second.

Which is why my front fogs are unplugged.

The 'fog' I see v occasionally is just low cloud on the higher ground, not the old, big city pea-soupers from all that coal burning that I recall as a kid.

Dad could certainly have done with 'fronts' then.

If you don't know how then go get signed up with Rospa and get some instruction in advanced driving, oh by the way you need a current licence acceptable in the UK before you are accepted.

Mike

I find that full beam in low or high fog tends to result in the light reflecting back from the fog and reducing my visibility. 

In the hope of getting the point through, I use full beams IN DAYLIGHT! The light levels are generally high enough that I can't see the reflected headlights, but they are visible from further away.

Simple.

Well.... almost.

Which just possibly disqualifies you from having a valid opinion. I rarely use my fog lights (except due to VAG wiring when I need the rear) but when I do they have better range than dipped headlights and also reduce eyestrain.

Yikes!!  Get the book out again!!  No idea where the fog lights are!!  Doesn't really matter though as I don't drive when its foggy.  Have to look at the headlight knob thingy first of all - I think I knew there were front foglights, but not rear ones.  I think I need a 2.1 in Yeti!!  Or a simple car like my old Morris Minor!!

I do like the flashing lights though for the tailgaters.  I just slow right down to annoy them and put on the flashers!!  Not entirely sure this is legal though!!  But does the trick. :D :D

:devil: :devil: :devil:  Oh oh oh......I can feel the flames.  Popcorn here I come.

In the hope of getting the point through, I use full beams IN DAYLIGHT! The light levels are generally high enough that I can't see the reflected headlights, but they are visible from further away.

Which just possibly disqualifies you from having a valid opinion. I rarely use my fog lights (except due to VAG wiring when I need the rear) but when I do they have better range than dipped headlights and also reduce eyestrain

I have an opinion, you have an opinion.... why do people need to be so aggressive, jeezo.

For what its worth, take a read of the following.... read it ages ago and does actually make some sense.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

I gather from people older than myself (mid 40's) that fog lights on cars of old were a lot more powerfull and did cut under the fog really well. But due to the dullards using them as a fashion accessory the manufacturers cut the power down.

Oh, and seems that a few people agree with me - so maybe their opinion is not valid either..

Edited by Tomo1971