Skoda estelle

Skodapaddy

Hi I'm new to this forum

I've recently become a member of the skoda owners club and now briskoda

I have owned a skoda estelle for the last 20 years and I am now getting on with it

I plan to rally the car so am looking for some pointers on what to do with the engine

Thanks

It's mainly just for fun but I'll be entering in the 1400's ( not setting the world alight )

I've recently bought a brand new 136 engine and was thinking twin webers

I would like to get the head ground and ported to improve performance and perhaps a cam

If anyone has any experience with this it would be much appreciated

Thanks

You may need to source a few parts to fit that to a rear engine car unless it's already kitted out for RWD use. The only new engines I've seen in recent years are Felicia MPI engines at Skodaland in Leeds.....they didn't have the spigot bearing cut out in the crank and will have the beehive valve springs both of which would need sorting before doing anything. I hillclimb and sprint an Estelle so have a bit of experience in tuning and setting up the cars. I would again ask the question...what type of rallying? Real stage rallying or Targa/road rallying?

It would be easier to sort and cheaper. Is the car a 130 or a 120 though? 120 and 130 have different rear suspension unless it's a (rare) 120 LXE. Is your 136 engine a late model MPI? Does it have a spigot bearing indent in the flywheel end of the crank (about an inch wide and a cm deep)....and valve springs that are shaped like a beehive? In terms of power.....you will struggle to get more than 100bhp out of a 130 at all......100bhp from a 136 is do able with the modifications you describe, although you might need a decent modern ignition system. If you are prepared to spend then you can get up to 130bhp out of a 136 with big valves, lairy cam, twin 40s etc

Hi the car is a 130 with driveshafts unposed to the axle type on the120

I don't beleive its a late 136 as it doesn't have the markings you describe

I'm chuffed with the horsepower you gave as this would be great !!

However trying to find parts is difficult

I can source carbs and I have a friend that can make me the inlet manifold and exhaust

I will try and upload some photos to show my progress

Thanks again

You need the spigot bearing bit on the end of the crank....if it hasn't got it you'll need to make it. Everything can be bought from CZ.......have a look at Speedpro they stock nice exhausts...you will get a decent stainless manifold and box for £500 and a twin 40 inlet (blank that needs work admittedly) for about £250. You should be able to use the parts from the 130 engine to convert the 136 to RWD configuration. If you're stage rallying then you need to re-inforce all the rear suspension arms and front wishbones - again kits are available in CZ if you can't make your own.

You will also need a decent cage.....sadly they don't exist in off the shelf form so you'll need to have it made...hardened bushes are available as are solid rear arm rose joint type links....they call them uniballs! As for springs.....Speedpro stock uprated fronts but it's best to have some made. Shocks are still available from Spax, Avo and Gaz....for longevity I would recommend GAz

That's a very impressive cage indeed! Have you had a look at Speedpro then? Firms in CZ can be a pain to order from as most don't yet take credit cards.....they also charge crazy postage rates although if you challenge them they often reduce them to suit. I'm assuming you already have a decent suspension set up for it what with it having been a rally car already. Is it an ex works grp A car or was it just painted to look like it? Do you know what spec the 130 engine in it was?

image.jpg1_zpsxmejsgdt.jpg

Looks like an ex-RAC Rally car, but I can't remember which year, but it was one I was a member of the works service team.  Probably Group A as were the Skoda Trophy cars.

Do you have the reg number?

If you join this Group you might get more info:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702647049769460/

Check the behind seat bar of the cage in reference to the new MSA Rules about seat belt angles and mountings in relation to the use of FHR's. I suspect the angle of yours will be too great. Who built the cage?

Edited by Llanigraham

Good evening sorry to disappoint you but the car has no history what so ever

My dad bought me this car when I was 10 he was told it was one of five made to replicate the car of that year to travel to showrooms to promote it

Howetherhowever after an ebay purchase a couple of years ago I actually met the original owner his name is tony you may know him as he's a big skoda fan

He got the car as a part exchange and decided to turn it in to a rally replica

So I was gutted to hear the news but my dad bought me the car so it has a lot of centimetal value hence the rebuild

It's funny when I pulled the dash out I found an old disabled parking badge that had fallen down the air vent!

Thanks to hawkeracing I have found loads of bits I need from speed pro totalling around £1500 (wife not happy)

In regards to the roll cage is it the up and over bar or the one around the seats that are a concern?

I hope these are ok as it was quite pricey!!!

Thanks again to you all

You need to check on MSA frontal head restraint regulations.......they are mandatory in rallying, racing and most (but not all thank god) speed event classes from next year.

Have you actually made contact with Speedpro then? You won't get a postage quote by ordering from the site - postage is only within CZ if you've done an on line order. You then need to email them, using basic English and request a total posted to the UK. When they reply you then need to query the postage they ask for  because it will be ridiculous if my recent experiences are the norm.....they will then knock a bot off and send you payment details to do a foreign money transfer to. They pack stuff well and what they supply is good. Whatever you do don't ring them.....they claim to speak some English, but they speak only slightly more than I speak Czech.....which is none!

Thanks I've just sent an email to speed pro reguarding the amount I want to spend and if they could do any thing with the postage

Actually I asked for free postage!!

I did desifer my message in to Czech before sending hopefully it's right and I havnt upset them!!

image.jpg3_zps0gyvzz8e.jpg

The bar in question is the one half way up the rear door opening.

If it is a belt mounting bar then I suspect with the new Regs that it is not far enough back and not high enough. And what are the thin bars forming a rectangle for?

Whose cage is it?

It might be worth having a chat with a local scrutineer about it as they have had new instructions recently.

The bar in question is the one half way up the rear door opening.

If it is a belt mounting bar then I suspect with the new Regs that it is not far enough back and not high enough. And what are the thin bars forming a rectangle for?

Whose cage is it?

It might be worth having a chat with a local scrutineer about it as they have had new instructions recently.

The bar looks to be at shoulder height when you take into account how low the seat will be which is absolutely fine. Roll cages aren't rocket science providing you have a copy of the most recent blue book. Whilst my childhood dream was always stage rallying and I worshipped Lancia in the Grp B era the sport is as good as a dead duck these days. More events seem to be getting cancelled than run and if that wasn't enough the Scottish government are hammering nails into the coffin as fast as their influence will allow following the whole Jim Clark rally incident. Very sad indeed and a far cry from the days of the 80s when I used to watch the RAC rally in Grisedale......that rally is now a shadow of it's glory days, being a handful of day time stages in Wales that no ones notices anymore. god 1985 was the most awesome spectacle! Hey ho....

Hi llanigraham

I think your right the rectangle loops are for the belts to run through howetherhowever when I went for a seat fitting I had to keep moving the seat back as I'm quite a tall chap which meant that the seat was almost touching the rear seat bar which means that the belts will be at an almost horizontal angle which I've only noticed since you've mentioned good job it's only in primer!!!

I'm surprised it's not right as this guy makes cages for a living that's all he does so I presume he's good perhaps he didn't exspect me to move the seat back so far?

Hi hawkeracing

I'm now thinking the cage is wrong which is very annoying

In reply to your comment on rallying they have made it so difficult not so much difficult but very expensive with hans device

And everything else it makes it almost impossible

Howetherhowever chin up and motor on !!!

You should look at re-enforcing all your suspension wishbones and the rear arms in a big way for rallying.....you can actually buy kits to do this from TYM or Kolar motorsport for not much money, or make your own of course! I can see what Graham means about how close the mount will be to the back of the seat......my harness bar sits about a foot back from the back of the seat.

The MSA and Hans stuff has really ****ed a lot of people off. I recently met Rob Jones the current MSA boss in my role as chairman of WIgton MC and this topic was brought up - particularly in relation to speed events which are virtually injury accident free....but they just came back with the line - it's a no brainer, it's vital safety kit and non negotiable. Personally they are slowly but surely strangling the clubman end of the sport with the ever increasing start up costs.....