Nikon D2X - need help

The Zee

Hi

I recently dusted down my D2X and have brought it back into perfect service (I do like this camera)

Got it new donkeys years ago and it has never had a firmware upgrade so is as Nikon intended it.

My question is what is the maximum memory card it can take. The manual is not exactly clear.

Many thanks

Should've bought a Canon ;-)

This may help, my belief is that it doesn't matter what firmware you use. It is just down to the card. It's just like the MP3 player on the Bolero which is supposedly upto 8GB SD cards, but I myself and others can use 32GB cards with no issues and some I think have even mentioned 64GB.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00OfAi

Personally I would just stick to Sandisk cards but you maybe the same as me anyway

Edited by Bucksnaturetog

You should be able to get a bigger card in there. Pretty sure Sandisk have 16gb cards that they sell as compatible with the D2X. I'd guess you'd be able to hit 32Gb from some brands before having issues due to newer technology.

It's a FAT32 formatted card so in theory should go up to 137GB. But newer cards will use newer standards I guess, so may have some compatibility issues depending on brand.

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=1448

Thanks I thought it was quite low due to the age of the body. At the time of purchase a 2gb card cost nearly two hundred quid!! Yes !!

Although I have newer bodies I still cannot part with the D2X. It just feels right and even now compared to the D4S it still gives excellent results and I can use it in all weather without worrying about wrecking a four grand body.

Although I have newer bodies I still cannot part with the D2X. It just feels right...

Sounds like you like  your D2X in the way I like my D40 and P60 compact...

I started using Nikon in the mid sixties. It was a toss up between Nikon and Canon. For me I am glad I went the route I did. It's personal, it's just down to what feels right. For the length of time I have been using Nikon it has worked to my advantage, Nikon have always stayed true to the "f" mount lens so even my oldest prime lenses still fit the latest bodies, with some minor limitations. If I had gone down the Canon route I would have started with the Canon FD mount lenses which would now be no good on their current EF bodies - so it worked in my favour. I do have a Canon G12 compact which I think is better than any of the Nikon offerings.

• Like 1

I shoot Canon. Really hate the Nikon software and UI, just cannot get on with shooting with one. They still make decent pictures though.

nikon software?? like adobe lightroom? don't canon shooters use the same as us nikon shooters?

I went to jessops to buy a canon, played with both canon and nikon and came out decided that I was going with Nikon - just found the controls easier to use. The D2X cannot take a card bigger than 8Gb though

Edited by domhnall

I'm Canon. Starred with them and once acquired some lenses I'm stuck with them :D Quite happy though. It seems to be swings and roundabouts between the big two, although Sony is certainly trying to  spoil things with their new whizzy sensors - it's the one area Canon seems to struggle a little compared to Sony. But Canon have the biggest choice of lenses and arguably make better top end lenses than Nikon and Sony, that I can't see me wanting to change in the near future either :)

In all fairness. you can't go wrong with any of them, although Nikon fans tend to be more vocal about their manufacturer being the best imho

• Like 2

apple v android etc etc

I went in to buy a canon, couldn't get to grips with the controls at all, the guy showed me a nikon, the rest is history. As you say though, they're both good. Nikon uses Sony sensors I think so maybe that will help them a bit. I#ve stopped looking at new kit as I have a a full frame (D700)  and a DX sensor (D7100) now. And enough lenses to meet all my needs.