Are all Octavia Grilles the same?

The reason I ask is because I am looking to get a grille colour coded and I want to get a spare to take apart and get painted. 

Is the only difference the VRS badge? Can I just go on ebay and get a facelift Octavia Grille and change my VRS badge over?

I like the front grille on the Octy but I am concerned that it leaves the radiator very open to damage from flying objects.

You are right to be concerned as the radiator you see at the front is the condenser for the air conditioning.

Having read a few threads on this subject on here, the first thing I did when I bought my car was to install the recommended plastic mesh. Using 100 mm black tie wraps from Maplins, it is an easy job and the tie wraps can't be seen unless you look close.

Do a search on here on the subject and you will also find a link to the eBay supplier of the mesh, just as I did.

Without some of protection, you could replace the condenser one day and find the new one damaged by a stone the next day.

Take a look at yours and see how many fins have been flattened. On my car I found small pieces of concrete on the tray below!

Many thanks PikPilot, found and ordered.  :sun:

I tried to edit my original post to say that the 100 mm tie wraps are used as as a pair in series to get a longer length.

Edit button must dissapear after a certain time.

Bought one on eBay in the end that I will take apart on arrival. 

That grille mod sounds like a right bodge....

For less than £5 I'm not complaining as you can only really see it if you get up relatively close. :)

Edited by SkodaKitteh

I tried to edit my original post to say that the 100 mm tie wraps are used as as a pair in series to get a longer length.

Edit button must dissapear after a certain time.

On my vRS I found the 100mm ties too short, I am using the 140mm ties.  The fins on the lower grille are wider than you think and you have to work from the top so it's one handed stuff for me.  Took a bit of fiddling and faffing but I did it.  A few more ties to make it belt and braces secure and it will be done.

Edited by SkodaKitteh

My only thought is will this cause any problems with air flow and effect the cooling.

That was my initial reaction too. Then I remembered that the cooling has to cope with higher temperatures in other countries so just accepted it. In any case, free air flow still occurs throught the top part of the grill.

My other concern was whether the mesh would clog up with snow or even ice during the winter.

I'm not worried so much about cooling performance but more whether the mesh would tear away from the tie wraps if it became clogged. Time will tell this winter. No one came back when I mentioned it a previous post so I guess it's not an issue.

That was my initial reaction too. Then I remembered that the cooling has to cope with higher temperatures in other countries so just accepted it. In any case, free air flow still occurs throught the top part of the grill.

My other concern was whether the mesh would clog up with snow or even ice during the winter.

I'm not worried so much about cooling performance but more whether the mesh would tear away from the tie wraps if it became clogged. Time will tell this winter. No one came back when I mentioned it a previous post so I guess it's not an issue.

I've bought a bag of 50 cable ties, I will probably use about 35 of them to secure the mesh.  I would have to be really unlucky for it to become torn away and interfere with anything.  Belt and braces for peace of mind.