Rear view camera shootout

frifall

So, yesterday I did a review of 4 different rear view cameras in my project thread, and now I thought I would cross post it here as a new thread, to make it easier for people to find.

I felt that the cameras were so cheap on Ebay that I might as well buy all different models I could find and do a comparison, and only one is going into my Superb.

Keep in mind, these are not compatible with a stock stereo, these only work with a stereo with a regular video-in.

Rear view camera-review:

So, I have now received 4 of the 5 cameras I ordered. Since the fifth one doesn't really look like it will be that easily mounted compared to the others, I decided to do the test with just these 4.

1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Waterproof-LED-170-Wide-Night-Vision-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Parking-Camera-/311424530839?hash=item4882593997:g:KwkAAOSwyQtVzb2d £10.99

2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-HD-Waterproof-Night-Vision-Car-Auto-Reverse-Backup-Rear-View-Parking-Camera-/291381002430?hash=item43d7a940be:g:BPsAAOSwPcVVkPcH £7.66

3: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-170-Car-Auto-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Night-Vision-Camera-/201400725851?hash=item2ee46b315b:g:utQAAOSwHnFVwMoK £11.79

4: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Wide-HD-Night-Vision-Sight-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-LED-/361211779105?hash=item5419e65821:g:E5sAAOSwrklU2HkY £11.95

The content of each box is quite similar. They contain:

-camera

-video cable, allegedly 6m long (haven't measured any)

-power cable

-thin leaflet with specs

Camera 1 is the only one to differ, in that box a HSS Hole Saw was included, for drilling the mounting hole. This was of pretty poor quality (not unexpected considering the price...) but still, more than the others included and it worked for drilling wood at least! (Haven't tried metal.)

So, let's get on with the testing!

Please keep in mind this is the first time I've ever tried my hand at reviewing a camera. Also, since it's not that easy to run around with the "testing rig" (consisting of car stereo, an old computer PSU, and the four cameras) all tests where done on my kitchen bench and with only one light source.

The cameras are always in order from left to right.

post-135906-0-14848600-1448185913_thumb.jpg

Round 1, mounting:

If you take a look at the first picture you will see the different ways the cameras mount to the car. Camera 1, 2 and 3 all use the mounting hole for the cables as well, camera 4 differs here.

post-135906-0-18197400-1448185394_thumb.jpg

1: Big nut screws onto metal threads. Felt good. 2nd place.

2: Some kind of metal thingy with small hooks that is somehow supposed to make it stick. By far the worst. 4th place.

3: Same as #1, but with smaller threads and nut, not requiring as big of a hole. Also, this camera has a special connector containing both video and power, small and nice! 1st place.

4: Two small screws, plus a separate hole needing to be drilled for the cable. Not as nice as the others, but still beats out crappy #2. 3rd place.

Round 2, build:

Have a look at the second picture, and you will se the cameras mounted and from the front. Here you can also see the special connector of camera 3. I won't rank them here, since this is very individual what you like.

post-135906-0-25427800-1448185398_thumb.jpg

1: Nice shape, second smallest, feels well built.

2: Smallest and really discreet. Most plasticky feel.

3: The only glossy one. Biggest of the bunch, and feels very solid. Heaviest by far, and not plasticky at all.

4: Second largest. Feels somewhere between #1 and #2 quality wise.

Round 3, resolution/sharpness/white balance:

One thing I found hard to judge here was white balance. #2 and #4 are quite similar, and are most true to the actual lighting under which I did the tests, namely halogen spotlights with yellow light. On the other hand, looking at #3 I feel as if it most truly represents the actual colors of the paper and everything, as if it had been under natural lighting.

post-135906-0-32799100-1448185403_thumb.jpg

1: Best sharpness/resolution. Crappiest white balance (quite a lot of red/purple). Second least wide angle. 4th place.

2: Worst sharpness. Best white balace. Widest wide angle. 2nd place.

3: Second best sharpness/resolution. White balance most "natural" but not really true to the situation. Second widest wide angle. 1st place.

4: Quite sharp, but I feel it lacks a little quality vise. Second best white balance. Least wide wide angle. 3rd place.

Round 4, color reproduction:

post-135906-0-63632100-1448185408_thumb.jpg

1: A lot of red/purple discoloring. 4th place.

2: Natural. 1st place.

3: Feels most "true" if I disregard the fact that the scene was lit by a halogen spotlight... 3rd place.

4: Natural. 2nd place.

Round 5, low light:

post-135906-0-58465800-1448185412_thumb.jpg

1: 1st place.

2: 2nd place.

3: 4th place.

4: 3rd place.

Conclusion:

Considering all the different aspects, this is my verdict:

1st place: Camera 3. It feels solidly built, it is the best one to mount, white balance is good, color reproduction as well, and resolution/sharpness is solid. Not really "best" at anything, but it is the best overall package.

2nd place: Camera 1. Best at low light, and has best resolution/sharpness. Too bad the white balance is so off! Is also small and easy to mount.

3rd place: Camera 4. Decent enough. Keep in mind it has the least wide angle and the fact that you need to seal the hole through which you feed the wire.

4th place: Camera 2. Good picture quality generally, but it is really crappy in low light and the mounting is something I can't really grasp.

Edit: Replaced the links so they hopefully work now.

Edited by frifall
  • Like 2

Great review! Although your links for the cameras don't work unfortunately - says the listings have been removed/withdrawn...

That's odd, they worked for me. :P

I've replaced them now, let's hope they work!