Skoda gone to a new home

oh_superb

After 5.5 years of good service, visiting 16 countries on various family holidays and now on 148k miles, the sleek and elegant comfortable continent munching 2.5 tdi has now gone to a good home.  My brother made me a good offer just as I saw another car that I liked and it just had to go!  He knows he's getting a good car with new injection pump at 120k and Bilsteins all round and oil changes at 7k miles, and offered me much more than would a part exchange would have been!

So although I miss it I will occasionally still see the car and probably do a few maintenance routines on it, as my bro is useless with a spanner LOL.

And the week he got it, he drove to Hamburg and back for a weekend, and already planning a grand tour of Italy in the summer, so Skoda returns to old duties (but will need timing belt, CV boots and thermostat and front brakes doing in the spring, no doubt I will be removing some knuckle skin then :-)

I will be occasionally still be checking this forum, and thank you all to those who have helped keep my car on the road economically viably over the years!

I was unable to find a decent 7 seater from the Skoda/Audi brand range.  Did consider a Q7 but they are thirsty and expensive to run.  So…. I have gone back to French car ownership, the fully specced Peugeot 5008 2.0 HDI 6 speed manual "Exclusive" model with factory DVD screens, panoramic roof, climate control, street level Euro navigation, cornering bi-xenons, fogs, front and rear parking sensors, tyre pressure monitors, built-in sun blinds into the rear doors, proves to be a competent alternative to the Superb.  The boot is around 700 litres too with the 6th and 7th seat in the floor too.

I will just have to make sure the FAP (=DPF) stays nice and clean with an occasion blast!  But most of my miles on the Superb were high speed cruises on the continent, and it is unlikely that the new car will be any different.  And on these the FAPs seem trouble free on most cars reading the owner reviews, so overall probably a well calibrated system I should hope.

The engine is smooth too, obviously not quite like the V6 I used to have, but absolutely refined.  PEak torque of 340 Nm also matches my remapped V6, though of course it does not cover as broad an rpm range as the V6, but the 6 speed box can compensate for that.

Overall happy for the time being!

Edited by Gizmo68
Please join Freedom if you wish to sell on Briskoda
  • Like 1

Like rats off a ship you guys... :-p

I just stuck the winter wheels on the old girl. Here is hoping for 200,000.

Another rat here, sold my MK I 1.9 pd in the summer after 10 years/170k miles of faithful service. Original battery, clutch, exhaust etc.. I'd only just put some Quatrac 5's on it!

Saying that I haven't gone far - now driving a MK II - spotted a deal and went for it..............

• Like 1

I'll just be posting to myself soon!

Keep the faith, I'm sure there are others like me lurking in the background who don't post often :) Mine is an AWX/GGB elegance that's only just ticked past 94k, so just about run in now. Just fitted her winter alloys this weekend too.

• Like 1

Closing up on 150tkm and hoping for the 300tkm mark.

I wanted to be a rat myself as well about 3-4 years ago, but I couldn't find better options for replacement, in terms of value for the money.

A new car with same comfort/endowments sets me back more than I am willing to spend and selling the old gal makes no sense as I get less then what I spent on her in the last couple of years...

So, it looks like I will be haunting this forum for a while longer... :notme:

• Like 1

120k on our PD140 Elegance now, and she's going to be a keeper, A/ because of the money we've spent on her and relative net worthlessness and B/ because both SWMBO and I love the car. Yes, I love the "oomph", the build quality, handling, gizmos and all the features of the MKII, but there's something about the MKI that is just lovely when you get in it...

• Like 1

The MK1 is indeed special. I like how it handles potholes where the dashboard doesn't sound like it will disintegrate and how it maintains direction of travel even when cruising on rough roads. That front suspension is indeed something I do appreciate now though I hated it when the pinch bolt got stuck. I would have kept it for a long time had it not been the lack of space with growing kids and associated kit meant it was either a big Volvo estate or Q7 but the running costs and lack of value for money with these two brands and questionable historic quality ratings and owner reviews meant realistically going down this French route. I had a Peuget 605 before and that was awesome and reliable. The 5008 is a good value for money motor and if I hadn't gone for that I was definitely contemplating a Mk2 estate. But I do miss my Mk1. It was a cool car that's taken me to a lot of places in the world in comfort and style.

Edited by oh_superb
  • Like 2

Looks like the 2.5TDI forum section shrinks quite fast.... I still use mine and am happy with it, but as I mentioned earlier, I've got the front service position bolts completely stuck and a couple of them also have sockets rounded off, so TB job is not possible at present. Lately, also headlamps misted up on the inside, and at least one headlamp washer started leaking, so I disabled headlamp washers completely and disconnected their feed from washer fluid pump. Plus V71 airco flap motor error keeps popping up more and more often. I am still pondering on whether to try freeing the front (probably would involve welding flange nuts on top of the torx bolts holding the front) and doing 2nd TB job, but I think I'll wait with this decision for another year at least, at see what else stops working on the car. 

At least now Mk3 looks like a decent replacement if you are after a long range cruiser... so long as you spec it outside UK that is, in the UK there are no 16in wheels and no cloth upholstery with 190bhp engine :(  

I am still pondering on whether to try freeing the front (probably would involve welding flange nuts on top of the torx bolts holding the front)

You've tried Irwin bolt extractors?  These have saved me on a few occasions.   http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63045?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=shF5jhR3U_dc&pcrid=66162905543&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CKS1_P-DtMkCFUKeGwodE60KsQ

• 2 weeks later...

Long time, no see..Im sad I hear news about abonding Mk1.

I dont know what to say, I just cant find excuse to replace her. I love her, and she treaten me very well.

Sooo, all in all, for now(and if God permits always) she will be mine.

Proud owner 2.5 TDI engine <3