Just bought an -99 Octavia

madmaxx

Hi and I'm new to the forum so will be nice to see how helpful you all are :D

So after a tough relationship with a 2001 polo we ended up getting an octavia (1999 I think) and I have been 

driving it for a week now. 

Car seems very rigid for it's age and well assembled considering it is old and was fairly cheap when it just came out.

Done approximately 125k (english miles), has the (surprisingly) perky 1,6 75 hp engine, gets good mileage and is not sluggish at all ( :o )

Has had all oils, filters and belts replaced just recently. Waterpump to.

Downsides are a bit of niggles which will be sorted, mainly after previous owner cut up holes in the trunk for 6*9's

stereo cables being left in the car, poorly hidden and the front grill missing a few of it's teeth. All this will be fixed 

as soon as i visit the scrappers nearby, so no sweat :D

Other than that I've just placed an order on some front discs, a coolant temperature sensor, and a gearbox/engine mount.

So I'm pretty much happy with the car considering how little i gave for it, seems to me it was a good buy but really only time can tell.

But... there is allways a but.

I have discovered a few thing that are bothering me and will have to be sorted. 

One of them is when I start the car up, (always starts) Been down to -22 celsius and it didn't even hesitate. But it's not a "clean" start

it kind of bludders? Like it's being drenched in petrol. If I, when the car is standing at idle ever so gently press the accelerator it first dips

a few rpms and then revs up. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, not so much that the car isn't driveable but something I would like to get sorted.

Have cleaned the Throttlebody up and changed the airfilter, ordered a coolant temperature sensor hoping that it might sort it. Any tips/opinions/experiences

with that?

Second is with the shifter. It goes into (some) gears beautifully, lever is a bit heavy but it's an old car and the temperatures over here are really low right now; This brings me to my next question; During all times, but especially when the car is cold, 1:st and 2:nd gear are really difficult to engage. Second 

can be a right pain to get into when going off; If I in neutral pull the lever towards myself until it stops, and then pull it some more, only then will it slide into second gear (hopefully you understand what I mean). This is of course very annoying. Read up on the internet and apparently bad motor mounts could be the cause, went outside and jiggled the motor and what do you know, with allmost no force it juggled back and forth aggressively; Upper gearbox mount was moving (alot) so I have that ordered to. Any opinions on that?

Why I'm asking all of this is because I have a good friend who is willing to lend his garage to me so that I can fix the car up, but if what I'm planning on replacing doesn't do the job I would like to know what else to look at while I have the car over there, with all the appropriate tools at hand.

Many apologies if I have misspelled anything or don't make any sence, english in not my native language.

Thank you in advance for any input you might bring! :)

Very kind of you all, feel properly greeted! :)

I just got the parts that I had ordered , can't wait to start taking it apart!

CRB thank you, if im lucky it wont be as severe on mine, fingers crossed :D

So I just couldn't wait, changed the temperature sensor a couple of bulbs and a few other small things I had ordered.

Temperature sensor sorted the engine problem straight away, and it was an easy fix! Starts and runs perfect now, hopefully it will

get the fuel consumption down even more :)

Still waiting for the garage, but opened the bonnet and saw that my gear linkage was not the same as the one on CRB's car, gearbox

code is DUT, looked like a more traditional kind of linkage without wires, just rods.

While in there I saw the engine upper gearbox mount jiggle in it's mounts in idle, the one I had ordered. Am I right to guess that it's severly worn

and when the mounts are worn it can make the engine drop a little? Considering there are no wires just rods in the gear linkage can it be that a saggy engine 

makes theese rods twist a little, and thus create the problem I'm having with selecting gears?

So alot of stuff replaced now! Engine mount sorted and the problems I had with gearchange and gearlever wobbling around during acceleration, is now fixed :)

Will be replacing the dogmount to, surprised at how big of a difference a new engine mount makes. I recommend replacing to anyone with the same problem!
Will be changing gearbox oil soon so im on the safe side. 

Unfortunately engine went back to it's former state, even though I replaced the temperature sensor; Now it kind of comes and goes. 

Was lurking around the engine bay to see what else could possibly be wrong and I think I found something, not quite sure what it is though?

http://postimg.org/image/mdqri5u05/

To the left there is a black box with some kind of valve and alot of cables going to it. My guess it's some kind of vaccum thing :D
When the car is at idle it ticks loudly, and if I unplug the connector it stops ticking? Indication that something might be wrong?
But most of all I would like to know what it is, so any ideas??