Strange idling

lordsummit

On Friday Hetty went into regen mode on the way to work. No time to drive further, so had to leave it in the car park work the fans whirring. As expected it restarted the process after work so I took get for a trip on the Motorway to make sure she finished what she needed to do..

Saturday morning I get in the car, notice again that the idling speed is up to 1000rpm, no stop start. So I drove into the dealer and asked. He suggested that perhaps a long journey would help. Well on Sunday I had a 100 mile round trip on the Motorway. Meanwhile on the way home the car was idling at a 1000rpm, but the stop-start started working????

Did the trip, car running beautifully s always at the other end. Restart after its gone child and she's idling at 1000rpm again.

Before I drop her in at the dealers, just want to check that this isn't normal behaviour for cold weather? Its coincided with the freezing spell.

Hetty is MY16 2.0 110 2WD by the way. Most trips are quite short, but she usually stretches her legs at weekend.

Mine will idle at a 1000 in the winter, has done from new it will drop when the engine is up to temp, it idles at 800 all summer. 

?

Was the Ambient Temperature at the low temp that the 'Stop / Start' should disable its self,

just like the A/C which will not operate when cold enough.

Did the person at the Dealership not mention that, or was it not that cold?

Always worth reading Owners Manuals,

worth suggesting the same to employees at Skoda Dealerships, especially where they offer advice and knowledge.

Same here. Cold weather seems to raise idle rpm. Not concerned but the trick is being able to tell the difference between a regen and raised idle rpm due to cold weather. Not that it matters, just drive and enjoy.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's the way it maintains correct battery voltage to stop 'pop ups' on the panel.

It's your winter and there is a significant drain on systems .....seat/windscreen/mirror (+) warmers and more use of lights for longer.

It wouldn't have happened in 'the good ol' days' cos there wasn't so much voltage sensitive tech.

Being a late model, VW may have addressed a modern issue.

Yeah, don't worry about it mate.  I'm keeping a close eye on my dpf behaviour and even log the regens in a little book... NERDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. 

Anyway, yes, mine has been idling at 1000rpm however it appears to do this in colder weather to get the engine up to operating temps as quick as possible.  

This morning I also noticed that when I turned up the temp on the heating it made no difference. Usually the fan speed increases butt this time it did not. I think the engine is looking after itself before the driver gets a look in.

Colin