Can't decide on the new 1.2 TFSI

CodeCyan

Hi all,

My wife needs a new car. We originally started to look at the Nissan Qashqai which are quite common here on Spanish roads but after broadening our horizons we're now both set on the latest Yeti from Skoda. As we're looking at buying a house in the near future, our budget is unfortunately limited but after several weeks of reading and investigations it looks like a brand new 1.2 TFSI 110bhp 6-speed manual Yeti might just be a good candidate to replace her aging but reliable Honda HR-V. The Honda has given us over 12 years of practically trouble-free motoring but our growing family is getting too big for the little Honda and it's 1.6i VTEC (124bhp) engine which is starting to feel old and underpowered.

As the new car will be used primarily for the daily school run, weekly shopping and the occasional day trip or motorway drive to the Costa Brava we're not looking at to buy a diesel as we don't want to pay the extra initial premium nor have possible problems in the future with clogged DPF.

Now I imagine most people would recommend taking the Yeti for a test drive which we have already done, but this was a short 30 minute run with a spanking new Yeti 1.2 TFSI with only 9km on the clock, so the engine wouldn't have been bed-in and to be honest, did sound a bit loose when pushed anywhere beyond 3,000rpm within most gears and while it did seem more than "nippy" enough in-and-around the city, it just didn't quite have the get-up-and-go I would hope for when trying to overtake traffic at motorway speeds. I also noticed a considerable buzz from the engine bay when the car was pushed i.e. over half peddle movement but again, this could be just because it was a brand new car.

So, before we actually put pen to paper and sign up for a 1.2 TFSI could anyone with real world experience of the either the older 105bhp or new 110bhp 1.2 TFSI engine let me know whether you're ever felt lacking in the power and when fully loaded with kids or adults in the back and whether you would consider the engine to be underpowered?

Thanks,

Paul

my parents are over they way (down near Murcia) and they bought a new 1.2 last year.

Dad had similar worries about the 1.2 engine but now totally loves it, perfect for the running about they do but also perfectly fine on the motorway (they drove back to the UK over the summer).  

Saying that I'm getting the 1.4 petrol as I like the 4x4 and extra power :D

Saying that I'm getting the 1.4 petrol as I like the 4x4 and extra power :D

I would love to get the 1.4 TFSI petrol as this seems like an acceptable compromise between economy and performance but there just doesn't seem to be any demand for Yeti's with this engine on the Spanish market. :S

Regards,

Paul

Edited by CodeCyan

If you can I'd suggest getting a longer test drive and load up with the family etc. to give it a "real world" test.

When you say overtaking at motorway speeds how fast are you looking at going! I've got the 110PS diesel but wouldn't like to go much above 70/75mph given the aerodynamics etc. I've touched 80 but only for a short while. I know they can go but they're not really that sort of vehicle!

As others have said it's a pity they don't do the 1.4 in models other than just the L&K as they would likely sell even more petrol versions. I might have been swayed but the 1.2 just seems a little small to me. Others say it is fine for them but the 1.4 would be better.

As others have said it's a pity they don't do the 1.4 in models other than just the L&K as they would likely sell even more petrol versions. I might have been swayed but the 1.2 just seems a little small to me. Others say it is fine for them but the 1.4 would be better.

L&K edition? I'm not sure we get that here - sounds far far too fancy!

I find my 1.2 fine fully loaded at motorway speeds and on steep hills. Its not an engine which particularly likes to rev so I drive it more like a diesel keeping it below 4k. I chose this engine reluctantly but have become a bit of a fan and would consider another.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I regularly carry four adults and a couple of dogs and for holidays the same plus all the luggage we need (well packed roof box, which also does nothing for the aerodynamics). As long as you are realistic in your expectations I think you will find it fine - I've never found it to really struggle on hills, and that includes some of the 1 in 4 hills in the West Country. It really depends what you mean by  "when trying to overtake traffic at motorway speeds" and how important an issue this really will be. As VAGCF says, the only way to be sure is a longer test drive with the family and see if you are happy. There's a lot to like about the Yeti but (with notable exceptions!!) it doesn't aspire to be a Formula 1 contender.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

We've been lucky and managed to find another local dealer that will leave us a practically new Yeti 1.2 TFSI for a few hours tomorrow afternoon - and to top it off, we won't need to be accompanied by a salesman!

Apparently the car has just under 3,000km so should hopefully be run-in and won't feel as "loose" as the test car last week.

Will let you know how the test goes as soon as I can.

my parents have the 1.2tsi 105 in their 2015 yeti. 

they love it, its fast enough for there needs. 

it does lack fuel economy at motorway speeds though. low 40's at 70-80mph. It will get abit better economy if you slow it down a little.. but who wants to do that? 70mph is slow enough as it is. I think it must be the aerodynamics (or lack of) which make the car this way. not much you can do about that...

Hi CodeCyan.  If you want to compare the 1.6 VTEC engine with the current 1.2 TSi, here are some figures which AFAIK are correct:

1.6 VTEC                                                                                                            99 PS at 4900 RPM, 125 PS at 6700 RPM

1.2 TSi              35 PS at 1400 RPM, 66 PS at 2650 RPM, 100 PS at 4000 RPM, 110 PS at 5000 RPM

As you can see, the turbo on the 1.2 TSi allows it to beat the VTEC for power by 10% at 5000 RPM despite being considerably smaller in capacity.  I don't have published figures for the VTEC at  the lower RPM which most drivers use, but I wouldn't be surprised if the power advantage was 20% or more.  The VTEC only wins on power if you are prepared to rev beyond 5000, which is not to everyone's taste.  TSi engines are good for smooth pulling at low revs, and narrow the gap in engine feel between petrol and diesel which used to exist. So to put it simplistically, the VTEC is a revver and the TSi is a lugger.

The 1.2 TSi Yeti and the HRV are comparable in weight (about 1300 Kg) and I would guess they are comparable in frontal area.

Bear in mind that in common with most modern cars the Yeti's 6th gear is chosen to be fairly tall for cruising on the level, allowing the engine to turn at relatively low RPM for best efficiency and therefore fuel economy.  The gearing is about 26 mph per 1000 which equates to 2650 RPM at 70 mph.  On the level with no headwind the Yeti only needs about 30 PS to maintain 70 at part throttle, which leaves a reasonable amount of power in reserve.  If you meet a steep incline when laden or need to overtake smartly and feel the need for more than 66 PS (at full throtttle), you can always change down to 5th to raise the RPM to 3200 and get 80 PS, or 4th to raise the RPM to 4000 and get 100 PS.  The manual gearchange is light and easy so this is no hardship.

I don't know if things have changed, but Skoda used to omit the under-bonnet sound deadening pad on petrol models.  This is relatively cheap and easy to retrofit and just takes the edge off engine noise. And no, it doesn't cause overheating or have any other ill effects, I suspect they only left it off because their accountants told them it would save a couple of quid !

Best wishes for your test drive.

Edited by Austin 7
  • Like 1

Hi CodeCyan.  If you want to compare the 1.6 VTEC engine with the current 1.2 TSi, here are some figures which AFAIK are correct:

1.6 VTEC                                                                                                            99 PS at 4900 RPM, 125 PS at 6700 RPM

1.2 TSi              35 PS at 1400 RPM, 66 PS at 2650 RPM, 100 PS at 4000 RPM, 110 PS at 5000 RPM

As you can see, the turbo on the 1.2 TSi allows it to beat the VTEC for power by 10% at 5000 RPM despite being considerably smaller in capacity.  I don't have published figures for the VTEC at  the lower RPM which most drivers use, but I wouldn't be surprised if the power advantage was 20% or more.  The VTEC only wins on power if you are prepared to rev beyond 5000, which is not to everyone's taste.  TSi engines are good for smooth pulling at low revs, and narrow the gap in engine feel between petrol and diesel which used to exist. So to put it simplistically, the VTEC is a revver and the TSi is a lugger.

The 1.2 TSi Yeti and the HRV are comparable in weight (about 1300 Kg) and I would guess they are comparable in frontal area.

Bear in mind that in common with most modern cars the Yeti's 6th gear is chosen to be fairly tall for cruising on the level, allowing the engine to turn at relatively low RPM for best efficiency and therefore fuel economy.  The gearing is about 26 mph per 1000 which equates to 2650 RPM at 70 mph.  On the level with no headwind the Yeti only needs about 30 PS to maintain 70 at part throttle, which leaves a reasonable amount of power in reserve.  If you meet a steep incline when laden or need to overtake smartly and feel the need for more than 66 PS (at full throtttle), you can always change down to 5th to raise the RPM to 3200 and get 80 PS, or 4th to raise the RPM to 4000 and get 100 PS.  The manual gearchange is light and easy so this is no hardship.

I don't know if things have changed, but Skoda used to omit the under-bonnet sound deadening pad on petrol models.  This is relatively cheap and easy to retrofit and just takes the edge off engine noise. And no, it doesn't cause overheating or have any other ill effects, I suspect they only left it off because their accountants told them it would save a couple of quid !

bet his old Honda 1.6 vtec will still be going strong even when a new Yeti TSI has given up the ghost though.

those things just keep on going 

bet his old Honda 1.6 vtec will still be going strong even when a new Yeti TSI has given up the ghost though.

those things just keep on going 

Never a true word spoken. While I don't deny that after 12 long years, the 1.6 VTEC engine in the missus cars is probably past it's best and has started to burn a little more oil than I would prefer, the thing just keeps going and going and going. I hope I havent tempted fate with that ... <reaches out and taps the wooden table>

• Like 1

Never a true word spoken. While I don't deny that after 12 long years, the 1.6 VTEC engine in the missus cars is probably past it's best and has started to burn a little more oil than I would prefer, the thing just keeps going and going and going. I hope I havent tempted fate with that ... <reaches out and taps the wooden table>

too right

even when the rest of the cars knackered, somebody will put the engine in a banger car and redline it about.. then move it to another banger car.. etc etc

Theyre brilliant things really :)

Thanks for the more than detailed information Austin - loads of very useful information and I especially like that idea of installing some cheap under bonnet sound installation which I did notice was missing. While I would not consider the 1.2 TFSI engine a particularily loud engine at idle r low speeds, it does get a little chattery when giving it the beans.

Firstly,I just want to a big thanks to the people on this great forum. I've only been on here 24 hours and I'm already impressed by the useful and constructive opinions on this post. Keep up the good work guys!

Well,the test drive went ahead as planned. Picked up the car at 1pm CET and arranged to drop it off at 6pm which meant a whole 5 hours getting to know the car. While I would love to provide a detailed and concise write-up of todays experience, it's been a long day, there's a lot to still take in and well, it's almost 11pm and I'm shattered  :yawn:  but to summarise my first significant drive in the Skoda Yeti in just 2 words... I'm impressed!

The candty white 1.2 TFSI with just 1300km was really well built, comfortable and the small cylinder engine - which had obviously bed-in much better than the test car last week, was suprisingly refined and peppy. While I've been a fan of the chunky, quirky utilitarian look of the Yeti for some months now, I think after todays experience we might be ready to dive in and buy one for real.

Now I just need to convince the wife that Candy White is right! :D

Love my 1.2 Tsi petrol Yeti. Yes, friends keep asking me if the engine's big enough but it's fine for me. You used the word 'loose' about the dealer's demo car, think you should have found it tight. VW group engines seem to need several thousand miles (or Kms) before they loosen up and give their best performance AND economy.

Mine's done over 40,000 in 2 years and 4 months and performs well and gives over 40 mpg most of the time.

Think you're correct not wanting a diesel for your type of motoring, DPFs and all that.

My wife was 'ahead of the curve' when she preferred the petrol 'to protect the air my grandchildren breathe'.

Oh, and I considered a quagmire ( as she calls the qasqai ) but think the Yeti's rear seat permutations ( long word for 9.45 pm) make it a more versatile car. Bet you can't get 5 pallets in a quagmire!

Enjoy a Yeti.

post-56007-0-92454700-1448402097_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've had a 1.2 TSi for three years now, and it works well with the Yeti despite its small size. However, I would say that it is not a sufficiently powerful combination if you regularly wish to overtake starting from 50 mph upwards, particularly with a full load, unless you like white knuckles.  Its best environment is in town or on urban motorways, it's fine for long multi-lane journeys, it's fine overtaking tractors on lesser roads, but slightly challenged by the "I won't go faster than 50 even though the speed limit is 60" driver in front.

.... Bet you can't get 5 pallets in a quagmire!....

I still think you could get a sixth pallet into the Yeti.  It probably wouldn't go in at the top, due to the shape of the door opening, but I think you could slip it in under the fifth one ;)

Hmmm... a Yeti driver who listens to Aphex Twin. You're definitely breaking the mould a tad!

FWIW, we use our TDI Yeti in about the same way as you've described, and find it excellent around town. DPF has not been an issue at all, particularly if you're doing the odd Motorway run.

Edited by ftmch

Hmmm... a Yeti driver who listens to Aphex Twin. You're definitely breaking the mould a tad!

I didn't think many people would recognise that my avatar was taken from the cover of the album Selected Ambient works 85-92 - Well spotted!

In all honesty the car is destined to be used more by my wife than by me, and she's definitely not a avid listener of Aphex Twin. The mould will remain well and truly intact :thumbup:

Edited by CodeCyan

Just a quick update for those still keeping an eye on this post ....

We've decided to buy a Yeti!!! That's right folks - the extended test drive the other day was enough to clinch the deal and I will be popping into the dealership this afternoon to complete the paperwork for a pre-built 1.2 TFSI in Candy White and Erebus alloys. Wih any luck, the car should be delivered and ready for us at some point next week.

Again - thanks to everyone for your feedback, opinions and general banter, all of which has been very helpful and reassuring that we're making the right decision. :clap:

• Like 2

CodeCyan, please come back on BRISKODA to give your 'first impressions' , especially those which 'surprise & delight' both of you. You will also find quite a lot of things which appear on BRISKODA as ' I didn't know a Yeti did that'!

As I posted above, the fuel consumption improves as you get the thousands of miles on the engine.

My wife doesn't like its style and calls it osklivy ( pronounced 'oshkluvy' ), which ,we believe, is Czech for 'ugly'. HOWEVER, I regularly overhear her extolling its virtues to friends and relations so it's not all bad!

She has often complained of discomfort in my many company cars but is fine with our Yeti, indeed, we travelled back from Loch Lomond to East Anglia in the summer with no complaints.

Hope you love yours, too.post-56007-0-96258200-1448547396_thumb.jpgpost-56007-0-92375500-1448547452_thumb.jpg

I didn't think many people would recognise that my avatar was taken from the cover of the album Selected Ambient works 85-92 - Well spotted!

In all honesty the car is destined to be used more by my wife than by me, and she's definitely not a avid listener of Aphex Twin. The mould will remain well and truly intact :thumbup:

Yeti ordered.....tick

Several Aphex Twin albums on my shelves....tick

Mould about to be smashed? :D  I must admit, I was a little surprised to that logo on here though!

Yeti ordered.....tick

Several Aphex Twin albums on my shelves....tick

Mould about to be smashed? :D  I must admit, I was a little surprised to that logo on here though!

What's all this talk about fungi / moulds? Especially by Aphex Twin (yes, I had to look that up) fans who surely recollect their track "Mold"? :)

PS: another endorsement for the Yeti 1.2 (as a recent convert). On the motorway I find the DSG useful due to the cog swapping needed for keeping up with busy M-way traffic, but recognise that isn't for everyone. For town use I'd probably suggest the front parking sensors (which I didn't spec).