Heads up

Ultimately a 1.9 130 is a more reliable / cost effective proposition, the 2.5 has a bit worse fuel consumption, more expensive belt change and there can be fuel pump issues.  I think it is a bit more difficult to DIY on as there is just a lot more stuff in the engine bay.

That said, a lot of the people on here have them and love driving them.  In a similar vein, the autobox is a traditional torque converter unit from ZF and can be prone to several failures.  Budget £1500 or more if you need to rebuild it. 

The 2.0 140 is to be avoided as there are lot of issues with the oil pump drive failing.

Issues from water ingress can be a right pain, and eventually affect all these cars it seems, check the sticky thread out.

I have a 1.9 auto which I love driving.  I have paid out once for the autobox to be rebuilt, and had to sort out water ingress when I first got it, but overall I've had 125,000 cheap and trouble free miles over 4 years.  I DIY service which is well within my abilities.  These big old cars do represent excellent value if you can keep them going for little money; but any big failures these days is likely to cost you a large proportion of what you paid for the car in the first place (unless you have access to cheap / free labour and parts).

Edited by jimbof
  • Like 2