1.9tdi timing belt.

I paid about 240 inc. pump a couple of years ago for an atd engine and 250 for an sdi last year. Early pumps used a plastic impellor that is marginal at normal car cooling system temperatures and so tend to fail. Later plastic pumps and all-metal pumps shouldn't have a problem so, for a 2007 car, you might decide not to change the pump. On the other hand you are spending over 150 in labour to get to the point where you can easily change the pump and you will be very sad if the old pump fails some time after the belt is done.

I paid about 240 inc. pump a couple of years ago for an atd engine and 250 for an sdi last year. Early pumps used a plastic impellor that is marginal at normal car cooling system temperatures and so tend to fail. Later plastic pumps and all-metal pumps shouldn't have a problem so, for a 2007 car, you might decide not to change the pump. On the other hand you are spending over 150 in labour to get to the point where you can easily change the pump and you will be very sad if the old pump fails some time after the belt is done.

That's not why you replace them, you replace them because the bush wears and the gland starts to leak leading to failure and overheating.

That's not why you replace them, you replace them because the bush wears and the gland starts to leak leading to failure and overheating.

I have replaced one where the blades had gone brittle and broken off leading to complete lack of pumping action - but no leaks.

I have replaced one where the blades had gone brittle and broken off leading to complete lack of pumping action - but no leaks.

Yes, I agree, but we're talking about precautionary replacement rather than replacing something which has already failed. Pieces of the thermostat can break off smashing the impeller blades as you've found.