You Know It's A Skoda When, (MOT)

Evening,

Put the Octavia in for it's MOT yesterday, and, failed.

A bulb in the number plate lamp had failed.

So garage wanted to drill out the old crusty screws and fit a new lamp.

I however, just removed the boot trim panel, twisted the bulb holder, replaced bulb (which the garage gave me) and a fresh MOT.

Nice simple fix for a nice simple car.

(seeing how cheap they are to buy both will be getting replaced anyway, nothing like shiny bits)

• Like 1

Easiest way to reattach in a hatch -

Remive parcel shelf.

climb into boot bring trim panel with you.

close boot

*edit: slide the pull handle through the slot (i forgot once.. what a pita..) *

allign panel at the top clips (each side of washer)

Work around each side to the bottom

get o/h to open boot or climb out through back seats.

First time i had to do it was 2days after my wedding. Opened the boot to put in suitcases to go on honeymoon.

hatch opened and trim panel stayed put :rofl: closest ive experienced to a Top Gear moment - JC's v8 rover door card in the BL special..

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Here's what I did with my hatch boot trim, for what it's worth:

I drilled 3 lots of two holes in the front edge - i.e. the edge which is nearest the bottom of the hatch glass, two on the left, two in the middle, and two on the right.

I then threaded a long cable tie through these holes - one tie for each pair, so that the ends were sticking out sort of thing. I then held the trim up to the hatch, and threaded each tie through the metalwork frame of the inside of the hatch. Then obviously pulled each tie tight. Once I did that, I pushed the trim back into it's clips too.

5 years later, still no rattles, and no attempt at my decapitation when I open the boot, lol! And when I want to get to the number plate blub holders or whatever, I just unclip the lower edge of the trim, and it pivots / hangs down from the cable ties, allowing easy access - then swings back up and clips back in when I am done.

If anyone is really interested, let me know and I'll post some pics. Cheers!

• Like 1

I just bought new clips and plugs from tps for just under a tenna n a new boot trim is something like £30 from skoda, I renewed it all after finding 5 inch wood screws holding mine up! Trim dont move one bit

Estate - I struggled with one side falling off while I tried to fit the other for about an hour, then asked my Mum to help by supporting the fitted side whilst I refitted the other. It's stayed up for about 7 years since.

With an independent, your rights should be as per the Sale of Goods Act, Did you take out any form of used car warranty when you purchased?.

Also without wishing to pry into personal matters, roughly what issues are you having?.

Edited by kentphil1

No worries, there was no warranty offered or asked for, I said that I would get the cam belt done, but I am getting  P1296 code coming up so will get the temp sensor changed at the same time as the cam belt.

There are issues with the puddle light on the drivers door, wing or door mirrors working intermittently, Then the near side rear passenger door lock which will occasionally work well then at other times just ignore any commands, I guess that that is an issue within the drivers door card..(connectors etc)..from what Iv'e gleaned from here?. Thanks.

What year is your car?.

For info on the code, http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17704/P1296/004758 to be honest, if they are doing the belt, you would be wise to do the water pump and thermostat at the same time, and only disturb the cooling system once.

The gremlins sound like the usual door control unit stuff, see here for more info - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/336309-how-to-check-and-protect-your-door-multiplugs/

Hope it helps,

Phil